Constant beachball of doom in FCP3 on new mac, help!

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by jaykingfunk7239, Nov 27, 2009.

1. jaykingfunk7239 macrumors newbie

I'm running FCP3 HD on a brand new 21.5" LED iMac with a 3.06 GHz Intel Core 2 duo processor and 4GB of DDR3 RAM. OS is 10.6.2

I'm trying to work on a project which has been captured from DV and almost every time I try to even play whats on the timeline I get the spinning beach ball for at least a minute and then it coughs and splutters and does it again the next time I try and move the play head or press space bar.

I was using the internal HDD but have since moved it onto an external (Formac Maxi 320GB 7200) through FW800 in the hope that this would speed things up but still getting the same problem.

I don't really have the choice of upgrading the external drive as I work in a school but surely I should be able to run FCP without this much trouble?

Does anyone have any advice on how best to set my system up for best performance???

Would really appreciate the help! J

2. -DH macrumors 65816

FCP 3 is not compatible with Intel Macs. Version 5.1 was the first to be compatible, with FCP 7 being the current version available from Apple.

-DH