CONSTANTLY having to toggle LTE

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by oplix, Oct 3, 2012.

1. oplix, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2012

oplix Suspended

oplix

There is some persistent bug with iphone 5. I'm not sure the exact parameters of it but it seems like when you enter a no service area and then you come out, it will lock you to HSPA+. It will not make any further attempts to connect to LTE until it's toggled.

Who else has experienced this?

PLEASE REPLY WITH YOUR CARRIER

UPDATE ok guys as I said I got my nano SIM replaced at AT&T. She had me do a general settings reset as well. I'm noticing a immediate improvement for network polling coming out of the subway. Picks up LTE immediately. Guys go get your SIM replaced. If nothing else at least you can eliminate that being the problem. I will report with any further findings. Good luck!

Quick update again: extremely fast switching back and forth from LTE to 4G and back to LTE. Looks like problem solved :)

As a side node I just hit 42mbps down 17mbps up on 5 bar LTE in the subway in Brooklyn NY. :-o

2. dylanursula macrumors 6502

Me too in a major US city! It is a pain in the #$@#

3. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i have yet to experience this bug you describe. i am in a heavy LTE area however to go from having no service at all straight to LTE is going to be hard to replicate.

which carrier btw?

4. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

ATT in NYC.

I don't understand your post by the way. Do you go to no service areas on a every day basis?

----------

Which carrier? I would like to eliminate it being a specific carrier issue if possible.

5. albertsw macrumors regular

6. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

which carrier?

7. sdfu93 macrumors newbie

Happens in Chicago on Verizon regularly, but reverts back to 2G (circle indicator, dial-up modem speeds). If you're lucky, it'll eventually go into 3G.

8. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

good to know it's not only ATT then. This is freaking ridiculous to be quite honest. I really hope it's a software issue on the phone's end.

9. iapplelove macrumors 68040

iapplelove

i apologize i miss read your post. i am near you and have not had this issue. a few times in buildings i have lost signal but never had to toggle to turn LTE back on,i would have remembered if i had.

i thought in your original post you were having issues if you lost a signal then regained it in a LTE area it would not connect but in your case it doesn't matter the area once back in LTE coverage it won't auto connect

AT&T as well.

10. dmccloud macrumors 6502a

dmccloud

That's not a phone issue as much as it is a network issue. In areas like NYC/Chicago/Atlanta, the tall buildings in the downtown areas often have very poor signal, and that causes the phones to constantly search for a good signal, regardless of the carrier or device. When I was in Atlanta for Dragon*Con, the majority of people there were complaining about that type of issue - regardless of the carrier or type of phone they were using.

11. kre62 macrumors 68000

When I drop LTE, itll go to 4G. When I reenter LTE area, itll stay on 4G awhile, but will eventually switch back over to LTE.

Be more patient?

12. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

nothing to do with tall buildings, guy. it happens coming out of the tunnels in the subway on my way home in brooklyn. clear skies.

----------

this is irrelevant. re-read the OP.

13. treyjustice macrumors 65816

treyjustice

14. danish1542, Oct 3, 2012
    Last edited: Oct 3, 2012

danish1542 macrumors member

I have experienced this multiple times on AT&T in the Boston area. Really annoying.

15. skyward112 macrumors newbie

just this morning i went from an LTE signal to not. I could not access the internet in any app. ie: could not receive mail, check FB, access app store...
    I had full bars, but not designation of what network. Once I toggled "Off" the LTE I was immediately connected to 4G and could access everything again. This happened to me last night as well.
    Any ideas????
    ATT network provider...
    Wichita, KS area

16. zman98 macrumors member

Happened to me once on AT&T in Dallas. Got out of the elevator at work and it was on EDGE. In my office where I have a strong LTE signal it stayed on EDGE. After about 15 minutes I toggled the LTE off/on and it connected right away.

17. mikeydeezy macrumors 6502a

mikeydeezy

I wish we had LTE to drop in and out of here. :mad:

But that sounds like a pain in the ass.

18. randy98mtu macrumors 65816

randy98mtu

I had this on ATT in Detroit. I get LTE by the windows at my office. When I go back into the building, I go to 4G. One day it just said LTE or nothing. Whenever I lost LTE, I had no data. I toggled LTE off and then I had 4G data. Turned it back on and all was fine. Hasn't done it since. My brother-in-law has a Nexus on VZW and said he has the same problem. Must be something tricky to this switching that makes it less reliable?

19. braindead5400 macrumors regular

I don't have LTE in Milwaukee but I have to toggle my phone in and out of airplane mode several times a day because the internet will simply stop working. Doesn't make sense to me. Connected, strong signal, no internet. Once I toggle airplane mode on and off internet is fine for a few hours before it dies again.

20. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

Exactly. It will say there's service except data will just stop working until it's toggled again.

21. ctc799 macrumors member

Mine can sometimes take a while to return to LTE. I think this is a problem with quite a few LTE phones, though, as I've seen some Android users talk about this as well.

I toggle Airplane Mode, myself. It's easier to reach when I need LTE right away.

22. NYY FaN macrumors 6502

NYY FaN

I have a droid bionic through my job and I have to do the airplane toggle at least every 30 minutes.. Even more if I'm in a weak signal area. I've only had to do it a handful of times on my iPhone but it is annoying

23. BFizzzle macrumors 68020

BFizzzle

VZW

yeah sometimes i have to put in airplane mode and back out so LTE will show up in areas i know i have it. Not always

24. jcorb46529 macrumors newbie

I am also with ATT in Wichita, this happens to me a lot. Look at my phone and full cell bars but no data. I have to toggle airplane mode to get it back.

25. oplix thread starter Suspended

oplix

I just went to ATT and got my nano SIM replaced. I will let you guys know if the problem continues.