Constitutional Carry: Are the Inmates Finally Taking Over the Asylum?

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Feb 9, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mike-...0155_764877886933821_764877886933821#f19b86f1

wait, 10 MILLION people with CCWs, and not ONE more George Zimmerman among them? what happened to all the people who were going to get killed because gun nuts carried?

seems like the author "Mike Weisser : the gun guy" should be the "Gun-A-Phobe" guy.

2. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I'm curious how you know how many gun deaths are tied (or not) to CCWs.

I don't recall every seeing that quantified.

Please share your source for that information.

Thanks.

3. vrDrew macrumors 65816

People are stupid. People get into arguments. People are hot-headed. And adding concealed guns to that just makes it easier for tragedies to ensue.

I hate to burst anyone's bubble. But incidents like this, where someone ends up dead (and someone else goes to prison for the rest of their life) in a stupid meaningless dispute, far, far outnumber the (almost) mythical instance of a CCW permit holder legitimately saving an innocent life in a confrontation with an attacker.

4. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Simple, because I don't carry my evil guns with me when I go out, only the nice ones.

Sure the bad ones try and sneak into my holster from time to time but I catch them.

You gotta watch for those evil guns!

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Fling your link there is an 18-19 y/o Texan with a CCW
    http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_laws_in_Texas

----------

VPC.ORG is almost a worthless as me Using Glenn Beck to make a case:rolleyes:

6. citizenzen macrumors 65816

You'd have to explain why you believe that, as they have extensive footnotes that source their findings.

You haven't yet sourced your claim that not one ccw holder other than GZ has killed anybody.

Claims like that require evidence. Where is yours?

7. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This little bit about evil guns wasn't clever the first time it was bandied about.

8. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Why not! Seems the gun instead of the person is blamed all the time

9. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

This hasn't been the argument and you know it. This is the basest kind of straw man argument.

But, feel free to tilt away at Ray Bolger for the rest of the evening.

10. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

I hope Ray is short like I am, otherwise I will have to settle for kicking him in the shins:p

11. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

You feel so strongly that guns are such a horrible commodity, yet throughout every LONG and well constructed post I have yet to to find one single piece of compelling evidence that expresses your dislike of firearms.

Lately, after being proven wrong with actual statistics on several occasions, you seem to have only one argument; guns are bad, and if they aren't then you should provide evidence. Yet, not one piece of clearcut evidence survives among your posts.

It's almost like the gay vs religious. Gays are evil and there shouldn't be any, but I don't know why... God says so! People die from living!

.... Yeah, and?....

12. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I don't think guns are a "horrible commodity".

But I know enough about human nature to know that human beings are fallible creatures. They get into fights. They lose their temper. They get upset. They sometimes drink too much. Which is bad enough, but throw guns into the mix - and tragedy results.

Handled properly, following correct safety procedures, and in the right environment - guns can be a lot of fun. A worthy pastime, and challenging and rewarding hobby. Or a useful tool.

But thats not the way far too many people treat guns. They use them as a "security blanket." They take them into situations they shouldn't be taken. And they lack the mental self-discipline to keep their emotions under control. And tragedy results.

I'm not against guns per se. I'm against the delusional belief that handing the average person a gun and stoking the (false) belief that having such a weapon in his waistband holster is going to transform him into a skilled, cool-headed and effective close-quarter combat warrior. We'd all like to believe that we are "above average." Simply logic tells us that cannot be the case.

13. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

How do you know how people treat their guns?

14. stroked Suspended

stroked

source, or is this just your opinion?

15. bwhinnen macrumors 6502

I find the last two paragraphs interesting.

I'd be interesed to see what these 'emotionally unstable' people would do if they didn't have their security blanket? Yes, the firearm certainly ups the odds of tragedy, no denying that, I still think there would be results that would not be pretty without the presence of the firearm in that case. Think about how you would act if you were the one with the firearm in your waistband. Would you react and just go forth blazing? Or would you actually have a sub-conscious moment and realize what the repercussions would be?

The first paragraph of those two seems to imply that the majority of people who CCW lack mental discipline, while the second (and last) paragraph indicates that the average gun toting person gets a super soldier complex. I know (well hope) that is not what you intended though.

Does having a firearm in your waistband make you feel safer? Probably, I've only worn one at the range in a normal holster and it never made me feel safer. Does it make you more skilled? Not a chance. How many people out there really have that delusion I wonder. How many hope they never have to use it (the firearm they carry)? Get in that situation? That is a flip side of your line of discussion. Sure it's a security blanket, one they feel they need, for what ever reason. I think you'll find that the majority of the so-called 'gun-toting CCW yahoos' are just average people like you and I. The rest, as they say, are the minority that gets the press.

No I don't have proof of that, so I must defer to the 'simple logic' statement or perhaps statistics by association :)

As I said, interesting, honest answers on why people carry would be an interesting study. Along with the hypothetical 'what' they'd do in certain situations...

Brett

16. DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

I can agree with all of that. Thank you for providing clarity to your stance.

17. sim667 macrumors 65816

18. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Someone asked before why so many guns threads. Part of the reason is the MacRumors NRA chapter. ;)

19. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

But they're not NRA members at least most of them. Imagine what the gun threads will look like if we elect another Democrat :eek:

20. sim667 macrumors 65816

TBH im just waiting for SouthernDads input with baited breath.

I'm also getting exicted about the expansive gun topic threads that jkcerda is dreaming up for tomorrow....

I think we all know that all of their arguments boil down to "The good guys need to put guns on their guns so they can out gun the bad guys"

21. samiwas macrumors 65816

I think this is a pretty spot-on description of my beliefs as well.

And how do you? You really think that everyone who carries a gun is well-adjusted, mentally-proficient, with sound firing and handling skills?

----------

Good luck...he can't access this forum any more.

22. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Works for me:p

----------

Bad gun owners are like the bad cops, they make the news.

23. sim667 macrumors 65816

What happens when the bad guys get guns on their guns too?

Or the good guys with all the guns, actually turn out to be the bad guys?

24. Huntn, Feb 10, 2015
    Last edited: Feb 10, 2015

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I've said this before, the cat is out of the bag and will never be caught. The gun culture has always existed in this country.

But this is a case, not a chicken or egg, where the smart ones figured out decisively, that being awash in guns made it easier for criminals to arm themselves and tried to reign it in. Availability of guns happened first. However resistence to tightening gun regulations appeared in the 1960s, propelled by fear of crime and distrust of government (a conservative distrust), arming for the revolution. The idea of average citizens carrying weapons, took off in the 1970s, and now that there is a group of people who think that having everyone armed ready to participate in local gun fights is the methodology an advanced society should use to maintain order. :rolleyes: Talk about hard core regression.I don't see it changing any time soon without a general calamity. Ironically a social breakdown would legitimize the need for more guns.

It is cultural, but I don't understand why most, if not all of the Western societies can function without leaning on guns in the manner that we do. Any simple explanations?

25. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

Simple explanations ? No , the other societies have been "civilized" for far longer time. Having paved roads does not make the U.S "civilized". Clowns here still riot when their team wins, only reason many are not dragging their knuckles is because they see the rest walking upright :eek: