Consumer Electronics Announcement at MWSF03

newamiga

macrumors member
Original poster
Dec 25, 2001
76
0
Guys,
Just reviewing the Apple Expo Paris video and noted something that no-one here appears to pick up on with regards to what we may all be seeing in a couple weeks. Note that Steve Jobs welcomed the CEO of Philips Electronics to the stage (via video). The announcement was vague but basically said that Philips was teaming with Apple to release consumer electronics devices based upon the Rendevous or Zero-Conf networking standard. Jobs said that we should expect to see products from the two companies taking advantage of this technology early next year. Sure seems like a MWSF announcement just waiting to happen.
Think for a minute about why the delay in the Rendevous version of iTunes? Could it be that it will also auto-synch to a philips stereo or perhaps some handheld device will sync to a philips device and to your copmuter via Redevous? If you want to get some interesting ideas.. sign up for a free Mac developers membership at www.apple.com/developer and then watch the zero-conf presentation from WWDC this past year in the television section. It shows devices beyond just printers being auto-discovered and configured. I really think this is going to be one of the big announcements of the show. I have been looking at Philips web site to try and see if there are any candidates for Rendevous.. anyone got any more thoughts on this?
 

Computer_Phreak

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2002
375
0
Re: Consumer Electronics Announcement at MWSF03

Originally posted by newamiga
Guys,
Just reviewing the Apple Expo Paris video and noted something that no-one here appears to pick up on with regards to what we may all be seeing in a couple weeks. Note that Steve Jobs welcomed the CEO of Philips Electronics to the stage (via video). The announcement was vague but basically said that Philips was teaming with Apple to release consumer electronics devices based upon the Rendevous or Zero-Conf networking standard. Jobs said that we should expect to see products from the two companies taking advantage of this technology early next year. Sure seems like a MWSF announcement just waiting to happen.
Think for a minute about why the delay in the Rendevous version of iTunes? Could it be that it will also auto-synch to a philips stereo or perhaps some handheld device will sync to a philips device and to your copmuter via Redevous? If you want to get some interesting ideas.. sign up for a free Mac developers membership at www.apple.com/developer and then watch the zero-conf presentation from WWDC this past year in the television section. It shows devices beyond just printers being auto-discovered and configured. I really think this is going to be one of the big announcements of the show. I have been looking at Philips web site to try and see if there are any candidates for Rendevous.. anyone got any more thoughts on this?

hmm... i think that if hardware were released utilizing Rendevous at MWSF, it would be anounced by Philips, not Apple.
 

Flickta

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2002
265
0
Born in USSR
After I switched (From Philips cell phone to Siemens) I am constantly hearing news about possible solutions of an Apple - Philips partnership...
That device would be a good thing. But I am not sure that my Philips radio/clock will take any advantage out of this... :)
 

Durandal7

macrumors 68040
Feb 24, 2001
3,156
0
Re: Re: Consumer Electronics Announcement at MWSF03

Originally posted by Computer_Phreak



hmm... i think that if hardware were released utilizing Rendevous at MWSF, it would be anounced by Philips, not Apple.
Well, you never really know. If Phillips had an Apple specific product that Apple had it's hand in then what better place then a MW keynote to introduce it? Apple does let people from other companies come onstage during the keynote to show off Apple-specific technologies.
 

e-coli

macrumors 68000
Jul 27, 2002
1,884
778
I sure wish the quality of Phillips components were better, though. A phillips receiver or DVD player won't hold a candle to my Harman/Kardon system. Even with rendezvous on Phillips products, I wouldn't buy them. :rolleyes:
 

OutThere

macrumors 603
Dec 19, 2002
5,734
0
NYC
Originally posted by e-coli
I sure wish the quality of Phillips components were better, though. A phillips receiver or DVD player won't hold a candle to my Harman/Kardon system. Even with rendezvous on Phillips products, I wouldn't buy them. :rolleyes:

From the Harman International Website (The Owner of Harman Kardon)
We pride ourselves on making the best audio and video products in the world.
Philips does not make a similar statement. They have good products in a wide range of the electronics market at low prices. Harman Kardon makes stereo receivers DVD players and little else, but they make it well, and charge a pretty penny for it. The highest end Harman Kardon stereo receiver costs $449. A somewhat comparably powered and ported model from Sony that I saw at an electronics store cost ~$130. The Harman Kardon has much better quality in general, and its price reflects it.

This all goes to show that "You get what you pay for." and "Anything's possible." Don't shun what may become something really cool.


Just a note: I would buy a Harman Kardon stereo receiver any day, I would much prefer it to any other brand.