Consumerist - Apple Admits That Face ID May Be Fooled By Evil Twins & Little Kids

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tardman91, Oct 2, 2017.

1. tardman91, Oct 2, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2017

tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

Odd article about the iPhone X and it's security. Consumerist reported the following:
    https://consumerist.com/2017/09/29/...e-id-may-be-fooled-by-evil-twins-little-kids/

2. Nozuka macrumors 68020

if you have a twin or you're a little kid then yes, maybe not the best for you... ;)

but i'm sure plenty of twins will test this.

3. pat500000 Suspended

pat500000

4. tardman91 thread starter macrumors 65816

tardman91

The twin/doppelgänger part is of interest to me. I wonder how similar the two people need to look to fool FaceID? Even identical twins don't have the same fingerprints, yet TouchID is less reliable than FaceID. Just seems odd to me.

5. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

What are the odds of my evil twin finding me for the sole purpose of stealing my iPhone X to try and get into it not knowing if I am even using FaceID?

6. NT1440 macrumors G5

NT1440

Depends, do you live in the plot of a Nick Cage or John Travolta movie?

7. Downhilltenago macrumors regular

Downhilltenago

8. IGotOne macrumors regular

If the "Evil Twin" is a child under 13 does the X burst into flames?

This reminds me of when TouchID was announced and people (literally, go back and look...) asked "what if someone cuts off my finger, or incapacitates me and uses it to unlock my phone without me being conscious???".

It's what I like to call the "James Bond" fallacy:

If you are so important that someone would actively try to break into your phone by exploiting security considered "good enough" for millions of people, you need to re-evaluate what security you use on your phone.

But don't worry. You're not that important. It'll be fine.

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Not too worried about it compared to Sammy’s phones which are fooled by a piece of paper.

Such non-news.

They’re sure glad to have the clicks & ad revenue though.

10. ronincse macrumors 6502

ronincse

OMG! I can't believe Apple never mentioned that twins could possible fool Face ID!!! Well other than telling us in the keynote of course ;)

This will be REALLY bad for the 0.35% of the population that it affects and all those little kids who will be getting iPhone Xs :p

11. MEJHarrison macrumors 65816

When my girlfriend's daughter first got her 6S, she setup the fingerprint reader. Then she handed it to me and asked me to unlock it. And I did on the first try. Keep in mind, there is no blood relationship between us. So the fact that a twin (which I don't have) might be able to unlock my phone isn't a giant concern to me. Nor do I see it as evidence that TouchID is better than FaceID.

12. applewatch macrumors 6502

applewatch

13. noobinator macrumors 603

noobinator

No one needs a $999 phone, however some people (including teens) have money or access to money and will buy them.

14. ACST Suspended

Nothing really new evil twins and little kids are the achilles heel of every face id system on the market today apart from iris scanning (but that's not really face id).

15. IGotOne macrumors regular

Tell me about it. If I had a dollar for every time I wanted to secure my top secret data with my face structure alone, and then my freaking EVIL TWIN showed up, I'd have at leas...

Well the exact amount isn't important. The fact is, it's a terrible problem. Shame on Apple!

16. digitalexplr macrumors 6502a

digitalexplr

Good grief! Paranoia seems to be epidemic! What in the world are people keeping on their phones??

I would suggest some folks need to get rid off their cell phones, unplug their computers, get off the grid, find a nice mountain lake and build a cabin!

Actually, that sounds like a pretty good plan!

17. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

18. steve23094 macrumors 68020

steve23094

Your comment made me think... The chances of having identical twins is much higher than one in a million, so either Apple's quoted security stats for FaceID are total crap or the system is so precise the small difference between most twins would still be spotted.

19. Nozuka macrumors 68020

actually they were pretty clear about the stats. they say the chance is one in a million... UNLESS you have an identical twin or you are a child and with similar looking siblings. ;)

but they don't talk about the chances with twins at all. so it will be interesting to see the results of twins trying this out.

but let's be honest: one in a million does not sound like a number that came out of a real calculation... must have been heavily rounded for marketing

20. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

21. Jimmy James macrumors 601

Jimmy James

They announced at the keynote that it can be duped by twins.

22. TMRJIJ macrumors 68040

TMRJIJ

My evil twin is a meme. Hope he doesn't live near me:

E9F4ECCE-F5C9-4627-AC7A-D27A7A5EEC1F.jpeg

..or maybe I’m the evil one (grows goatee):cool: