Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Care to elaborate on that?

These suck
- Pages (AKA $10 Wordpad) and the rest of Apple's barely functional flagship MS Office replacements
- Typing anything longer than an email without haptic feedback
- Compensating for lack of haptic feedback with a hyperactive autocorrect
- Seeing only half the screen because the other half is used by the virtual keyboard
- Having to lift your finger every 20 secs to tap the screen and reposition the cursor because there's no mouse or arrow keys

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Have you not been paying attention? So-called "full"' OSes don't work. Which is one of the main reasons why all that junk from the past didn't take off. A few companies have arrived at this painful conclusion more recently.

The iPad is selling into the millions. Based on current demand (which Apple can barely meet), the forecasts are absolutely insane.

Who's buying those millions of iPads then? Some companies are basing their entire roadmap on tablets.

It's like you're posting from three years ago.

He is nuts. 60,000 macrumors members buy an iPad every day?

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
These suck
- Pages (AKA $10 Wordpad) and the rest of Apple's barely functional flagship MS Office replacements
- Typing anything longer than an email without haptic feedback
- Compensating for lack of haptic feedback with a hyperactive autocorrect
- Seeing only half the screen because the other half is used by the virtual keyboard
- Having to lift your finger every 20 secs to tap the screen and reposition the cursor because there's no mouse or arrow keys

Cool thing is you can add any keyboard you like whenever you want :). I have written 3,000+ word documents on the iPad using the onscreen keyboard, it is really not that hard. I like auto correct, but it does do some stupid things I would like to be able to eliminate.

I really don't understand why you are moving the cursor so much... Moving your hands around is better for you anyway :)

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
Cool thing is you can add any keyboard you like whenever you want :).

If I had to carry around a keyboard everywhere, that would defeat the purpose of using an iPad. Might as well carry around a laptop instead.

I have written 3,000+ word documents on the iPad using the onscreen keyboard, it is really not that hard. I like auto correct, but it does do some stupid things I would like to be able to eliminate.

3000+, the iPad 1's only been out for a little over a year, that's 6-7 documents a day every day since then. What type of documents are you creating here?

I really don't understand why you are moving the cursor so much... Moving your hands around is better for you anyway :)

Because on an iPad, there's no other way to format text, cut and paste, and correct errors than poke at the screen.

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
I used my iPad to write a couple (last minute) papers last semester.

I don't feel that having haptic feedback would have made a bit of difference.

Is that 1) because you always look at the keyboard anyway, 2) because autocorrect changes all the typos to what you intended the word to be, or 3) because you actually know where each key is located?

Just curious.

chaosbunny

macrumors 68020
Ok, some enjoy their iPads, some don't like it. It sure isn't a product for everyone, and it sure isn't the "product of the future" with its crippled OS and crap loaded App Store. I have had my iPhone for 3 months and having used iOS I know I will never get an iPad, and my next phone won't have an Apple on it. It's one of these it's fun when it's new, but it quickly wears of things. I downloaded quite a lot of apps in the beginning, but only found 2 actually useful ones, and even these are barely used now. I haven't downloaded a new app in 2 months because I don't feel the need for social media this and that and farting game numer 100.000.

You sure can find ways to do something productive within iOS, but it will always be a compromise at best.

All my opinion, and I know I'm not alone. It's great that some people are happy with their iPads, but again, it isn't for everybody.

decafjava

macrumors 603
Feb 7, 2011
Geneva
Well, I've found a lot more than 2 useful apps. ;) Depends what you like/need I suppose.

That said sure tablets are not for everyone.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Muscle memory. I don't chicken peck. I'm able to type on my iPad quite nearly as quickly as a physical keyboard.

Same here. The letters are all in the same place.

Replace the regular Apple keyboard with an identical one, but with touch-based keys instead of haptic-feedback ones, in exactly the same place with the same dimensions. It might feel odd at first, but soon you'll be typing away as usual.

Now, we can argue about the iPad's positioning on your lap or on the table, etc. But no reasonably competent typist needs haptic feedback.

The whole "I can't type on my iPad" argument is total bunk.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006

Replace the regular Apple keyboard with an identical one, but with touch-based keys instead of haptic-feedback ones, in exactly the same place with the same dimensions. It might feel odd at first, but soon you'll be typing away as usual.

Now, we can argue about the iPad's positioning on your lap or on the table, etc. But no reasonably competent typist needs haptic feedback.

It isn't total bunk. I am a very competent typist on both desktop and laptop PCs but when I use iPad (or ANY touch screen device) I struggle. It's nothing to do with haptic feedback (although that would help) - it's that it is impossible to feel gaps between the keys.

This isn't really a problem for me for what I use my iPad for, but it does prevent iPad from ever being a realistic replacement for my laptop.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
It isnt total bunk. i am a vety cpletednt typist on both dektop and laptop PCs but when I usr iPad (or any touh svteen device) I stkruggle. It's nothing to do with haptic feedback (although that would help) - it's that it is impossible to frel gaps betwreen thr kys.

this isn'5 really a problem for me for what I usr ,y iPAf for, ut it dodrs pevnt iPad from r rt. rinb a realistic replacement for my laptop.

Above is the result of me attempting to retype the same post on my iPad. It took me roughly double the amount of time to do so and you'll observe all of the errors in the text. The experience is very poor - not least for the missing feel, but also because the keyboard isn't set up to support proper typing - it's very difficult to enter punctuation when you have to press one key to switch to a different keyboard, find the key you want and then press that key to switch back to QWERTY again.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Original poster
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
It isn't total bunk. I am a very competent typist on both desktop and laptop PCs

Wel, you certainly thought you were.

Do yourself a huge favour: become accustomed to touchscreen keyboard typing. The time will come (sooner rather than later) when it'll be a necessity.

CalBoy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2007

Except that the ";" key is missing from the iPad home row, leaving your pinky with nowhere to rest. It took quite a bit of "adjustment" to type even half my usual speed on the iPad because the keys don't have edges I can feel, a few of them are in different places, and there's no way I can position the iPad to both type with good posture and see the screen.

Until iOS 5's split keyboard comes out, which will allow me to thumb type like I do on the iPhone, the iPad is a horrible way to type.

Alaerian

Jan 6, 2005
A barstool, Innis & Gunn in hand
it's very difficult to enter punctuation when you have to press one key to switch to a different keyboard, find the key you want and then press that key to switch back to QWERTY again.
Do yourself a favor - google the keyboard quick "swipes" for punctuation. It's much easier than you think. ;)

Also, it's worth saying that just because you have problems typing on an iPad does not mean everyone else has problems.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006

umm sorry but they have done studies on this. Touch screen vs keyboard keyboards for typing even with the 2 keyboards being the same layout guess what there was a very noticiable difference in typing speed. The physical keyboard was faster end of story.

Losing that feed back is pretty huge. That is a very key part of people sensors on to the outside world. Plus typing on the touch screen is a lot harder on your hands as instead of the spring in the keyboard absorbing some of the vibrations from your typing it all gets absorbed by your fingers so that vibration adds up pretty quickly.

Liquorpuki

macrumors 68020
Jun 18, 2009
City of Angels
When I type on the touchscreen, besides the lack of haptic feedback when I hit keys, I lose tactile feedback on spacing between fingers, the f and j indents that set the resting position, and the ability to rest my fingers on ANYTHING. Because of the last part, my fingers are now floating in the air most of the time. If you think a touchscreen keyboard with zero haptic/tactile feedback is gonna take over physical keyboards, you might as well argue that touchscreen pianos are gonna phase out Steinway.

If Apple felt touchscreen typing was a worthy replacement for touch typing, they wouldn't have added an iOS autocorrect that totally destroys acronyms and technical terms and makes it into the news twice a year by royally botching a text.

They also wouldn't have put R&D money into stuff like this: https://www.macrumors.com/2009/12/24/apples-research-on-tactile-feedback-for-touchscreen-keyboard-revisited/. That patent only has one goal, and that's to address the deficiencies of touchscreen typing. Same thing goes for that hyperactive autocorrect.

roadbloc

macrumors G3
Aug 24, 2009
UK
Wel, you certainly thought you were.

Do yourself a huge favour: become accustomed to touchscreen keyboard typing. The time will come (sooner rather than later) when it'll be a necessity.

No thanks. Bluetooth keyboards are certainly not going anywhere on the unlikely scenario that computers are.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

Why when there are superior tools to enter data. While some people as witnessed in this thread can enter large amounts of data on an iPad. They are the exception not the rule. Most touch typest (as I am) require haptic feedback.

The ergonomics of using an iPad for document creation is such that a laptop is a better tool. Sure you can buy a keyboard for the iPad but then aren't you defeating the purpose of the tablet? At that point you need a stand, a keyboard a mouse? Why not just get a laptop

torbjoern

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
The Black Lodge
Muscle memory. I don't chicken peck. I'm able to type on my iPad quite nearly as quickly as a physical keyboard.

In that case, I'm impressed. I don't chicken peck either (been a touch typist for more than 15 years) but I might have been holding the iPad wrong when typing on it.

Bernard SG

macrumors 65816
Jul 3, 2010
This whole discussion about touchscreen keyboard is so funny.
Obviously, it's never going to beat a physical keyboard but it doesn't really need to, in most cases. Personally, I'm a slow typist in any case, which doesn't bother me anyway because it takes me longer to think about what to write than to actually type it, despite being a keyboard snail.
Typing on an iPad is not as bad as many would like to make you think; actually it's pretty good. You just need to be aware of the limits of the exercise and be conscious that you'll need to carefully review your text if it's something of importance, which is something to do anyway, whatever the equipment used to type the text.

Typed on my iPad.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.