Consumer's Reports Rates Wireless Networks--And (Shock!!!!) ATT is not at the top

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by elgrecomac, Dec 26, 2008.

1. elgrecomac macrumors 65816

elgrecomac

No surprise here but ATT was not well liked by the folks at Consumer's Reports. Gee,now THERE is a news flash, right? Anyone who has had Verizon and moved to ATT to get an iphone feels letdown. Dropped calls...all the time, 3G speed is totally bogus. Shame on ATT for the fraud they perpetuate with their commericals. Shame on ATT for still thinking they are running a monopoly. I will be gone from ATT in 2010. By then I suspect the RIM Storm will be up to snuff and, though I will be sad to leave my iphone which I do like a lot, I will be glad to leave the fraud-fested network known as ATT. :mad:

2. camarobh macrumors 6502

No problem here

I switched my entire family from Verizon to AT&T with six iPhones, 4 3Gs and 2 first generation. No dropped calls, no bad service, no difference from Verizon.

3. Espo macrumors 6502

I had AT&T for about 3 years now. Had a SE, 1G iPhone and 3G iPhone. No problems at all. I am in NY and we did have some 3G problems for a bit, but it was all cleared up w/ software updates. Im sorry you dont like AT&T but they have lived up to their words so far.
    Also, Rollover is a great addition. No other network provides that. I would say though that their texting plans are quite expensive compared to Verizon and T-Mobile.

4. PNutts macrumors 601

PNutts

Jebus! Your circle of friends is friggin' huge.

It's a shame you didn't have your epiphany in the first 30 days. Really.

5. barkomatic macrumors 68040

When I first got my iPhone 3G I was appalled at AT&T's service. However, I figured Apple would pressure AT&T to improve things and that turned out to be mostly true. Now I have fairly reliable 3G service at home and in most parts of NYC. I'm still a little annoyed that neither the iPhone nor AT&T's network were ready at launch but it seems fine now. The rollover minutes and free domestic roaming justify AT&T's prices somewhat but when my contract is up I'll also be looking to see if other carrier's have comparable devices at that point. They probably won't, so I'll likely end up getting another iPhone.

Sorry your experience has been bad. You could always sell your phone on ebay to recoup the ETF and switch over now. If my service hadn't dramatically improved that's what I would be doing.

6. Sirobin macrumors 6502

Sirobin

That sucks, but I have no problem with ATT. I have noticed some calls being not very clear, but not too often. And it's worth it for the iPhone, at least in my opinion.

7. AiralynRose macrumors 6502a

ATT Service at and around my house is better then what i had with verizon.
    I used to get 0 - 2 bars of VZW at home... i get full always on ATT (even in the basement).

8. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Consumer Reports has really gone down hill. Just take a look at their top smartphones for 2008.

1. Samsung Blackjack II
    2. T-Mobile Wing
    3. Motorola Q9C
    4. T-Mobile Shadow
    5. Blackberry Pearl Flip

Four out five are Windows Mobile phones from 2007, and the Blackberry Pearl Flip has received scathing reviews from most of the gadget sites.

http://gizmodo.com/5111295/consumer-reports-shouldnt-review-cellphones-anymore

9. starscream1101 macrumors newbie

I signed up for Cingular in Cali when I came off of deployment in Aug of 06. I moved to PA in 07 around the time off the "takeover". Got the iPhone at launch and didn't have any bad experiences with the service. I upgraded to the 3G soon after it launched and the service was horrible (Harrisburg PA). I had a hard time keeping the 3G signal and was droppng calls frequently as it switched from edge to 3G and back. I promptly returned inside the 14 days. I broke my original phone in December and heard the service had improved in my area so I upgraded to the 3G again...haven't had any problems yet. Granted ATT cstomer service is ******....but so far I haven't had problems with cell service on my 2nd go around.

10. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Dropped calls all the time? Exactly how many dropped calls are you getting? I polled fellow MacRumors members and found that the overwhelming majority of users (90%) have less than 2% dropped calls. If you are really having a problem with dropped calls, I would suggest two things:

1) Go into an Apple Store and have them check how many dropped calls you have had.

2) If it really is bad... they'll know if it's bad or not, then ask them to replace it.

You sound like you're just venting just to vent and not committed to finding the solution.

Thoughts?

11. bryanc28 macrumors 6502

bryanc28

Ohhh, don't get me started with Verizon. I am dealing with them now as I type. I had zero bars and had to go a block up the street to make calls. Never received calls as my phone never rang. The customer service agents just kept telling me my area had full service. Tried all different brands of Verizon, too: LG, Samsung, Motorola -nothing worked. You would think reception/service would be great since I live 5 minutes from DC. :eek:

12. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Really, I think that the service is about the same between carriers. It seems to me that the only thing matters is which representative you manage to talk to. I've been a customer of AT&T for years and I'm happy. I hate all cell phone providers, but I know that it won't get any better. AT&T is no better and no worse than the others.

13. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Cellular service is a local issue. Which service has the best reception varies from block to block let alone city to city, so national blanket statements on which is "best" are meaningless. The fact that you've had dropped calls doesn't mean a thing other than the area where you live doesn't have adequate coverage. Which means nothing to me because my area has great AT&T coverage.

14. liquidtrend macrumors 6502

liquidtrend

the only problems ive ever had with at&t service is when the 3g first came out and a couple million new contracts were thrown onto my network.

kind of understandable IMO.

and at&t has NEVER been on top if memory serves me correctly.
    consumer reports has always rated verizon as number one.

(Shock!!!!)
    /sarcasm

15. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Haven't had a problem with AT&T the last 8+ years.

16. pintnight macrumors 6502

I've always been a AT&T (well, originally Cingular) customer and never had any issues with dropped calls, etc, etc, etc.

17. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

service is hit or miss. I left verizon because they lied about having service in Lubbock while I was at Texas Tech. They said they would be out there in the next 6 months that was a load of crap because 4.5 years later when I graduated Texas Tech they still had not moved into that market. I just started seeing the adds run in my last semester. I was off verizon with in my first year at Texas Tech.

I have been on ATT for over 3 years now and could not be happier. It has worked out great for me. For me ATT service has been great but I do live and work in an area they have good coverage.

18. Turmoil macrumors regular

You do business with a "fraud-fested network" for years and you advertise that. Buahahahahaha. hint: only buy what you need. ATT works fine and commits no fraud.

19. polishmacuser macrumors 6502a

polishmacuser

ive been with cingular to the new att and heck no bad customer service always treated me nicely and always got good service(network) even when i had the first two iphones they were great except i sold my 3g to a friend i just didnt like it. But even on my bold it the service is great :)

20. cjm3113 macrumors 6502

I'm glad I switched from Verizon. Never had any dropped calls with either service, but get much better service with ATT than I did with Verizon.

21. coachfreak macrumors member

I had Verizon for 4+ years, AT&T for the last 4+ years and 2 years of that overlapped where I had both.

I hardly ever had a dropped call with Verizon, but with AT&T I do have call issues like in the middle of a call they can't hear me but I can still hear them. I am now on my 6th iPhone (just got a replacement today) mostly for call issues.

Honestly I still have USB data cards on both networks and in areas where 3G and EVDO is deployed for BOTH networks there is hardly a difference. Before AT&T deployed 3G in my area, Verizon won hands down.

To me, the REAL difference is inside a building. With Verizon I swear I had great service in my basement, in the elevators of my university buildings, all with a strong signal and no call dropping. AT&T is a whole different story. I typically drop to EDGE or no signal in a building for my data card and even in my apartment sitting by a window when I am on the first floor. I also drop calls in elevators with AT&T.

Now that I have said my $0.02, it is subjective. It is all about where you live. I switched to AT&T because I have a family plan with 4 people and my mom REFUSED to get Verizon. Now because of my iPhone I wouldn't go back to Verizon unless they had an iPhone.

I have had some good CS with both companies and some reallly ****** service with both. In the end I am persistent and always get it resolved, but with both companies it usually takes hours on the phone and speaking to at least 5 different people.

Point blank... all carriers suck and treat their customers like crap.

Just my $0.05...