Contact Your Elected (U.S.) Government Officials

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Huntn, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Huntn, Jan 26, 2017
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2017

Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Sent off emails this morning to my representatives (from Texas) expressing my opposition to the proposed U.S. Southern Border Wall. Use this address to identify your Federal Senators and Congressman: https://www.usa.gov/elected-officials
    Contact the White House: https://www.whitehouse.gov/contact

Re: The U.S. Southern Border Wall
    Dear Sir:
    I am opposed to the building of the U.S. Southern Border Wall. I regard it as a huge waste of vital funds we should be spending on more important projects. I believe a system that monitors employer hiring would sever us better and be both more effective and more cost effective.
    Sincerely...

Note, if anyone lives overseas and wants me to include a link for your applicable government, I'd be happy to add one if you provide it. I would alter the thread title. :)

2. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Excellent, thanks. Back in the day you could take a train from anywhere to anywhere. I'm going to write my reps and request that some of the $1 trillion infrastructure spending go to expanding Amtrak into a viable national transportation network. Maybe privatize some of it to encourage growth of the passenger train business.

3. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

4. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Amtrak is already a semi-private entity.

The truth is passenger rail will never be able to fully pay for a rail infrastructure. There simply is not enough demand there, never has been, never will be.

About 150 years ago, the USPS (the 'gubment) was the largest source of funding for building railroads. Later, the USPS was also what got airports built and airplane routes set up.

Not saying the USPS should do it again today, but it will take significant government investment to get us a proper rail system, and it will be to benefit some private industry most likely.

If I was a betting man, I would bet Amazon gets government subsidies to build out the rail system in order to more efficiently deliver everyone their Prime packages. Then Amtrak can get second-priority to use those rail lines for light passenger service.

5. citizenzen macrumors 65816

I sent an email to the White House last night.

I dialed it back just enough that the Secret Service shouldn't be paying me a visit.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

So you left part out about your good friend named Barrett whose a real straight shooter? :p

7. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

I've noticed Congressmen keep making it slightly more difficult to email them these days. Stuff like having to put in a nine-digit sender's zip code, multiple points of having to pass recaptcha robot checks, etc. I may start snail-mailing the guy in between phone calls. I understand anti-spam measures but it's is a pain in the neck when they become "why we can't have essential things without jumping through ten hoops".

Best thing to do is find when the guy is doing a local meetup during his time home amongst constituents, and go there. They are least impressed by mass emails, more impressed by an actual letter or a phone call, and most impressed (if annoyed) by being asked a policy question, in person, in public, by a constituent standing among other constituents. You know, something like why they voted for some poison pill amendment to a bill that was for the common good, and then voted against the bill itself. If you draw attention to stuff like that you might wake up one of the guy's base. At least you remind him he has "loyal opposition" constituents to remember when re-election time comes around. And if he's of your party and not holding up his end of the deal you voted for,,,, confronting him in public is a reminder of upcoming elections as well.

Thanks to @Huntn for putting up the thread. Congress is beholden to us before whatever it thinks its obligation to big money donors might be. If we don't like government, we can change it since it is accountable to us. But if we don't hold Congress critters accountable, they tend to forget their obligation to us within days of being sworn in.

8. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

You live in Tx too?

I am in favor of a wall, but a GOOD wall, like a good fence.
    One that stop illegal smuggling but has a gate for the honest people to freely pass.

I also support fast rail, but need to be smartly built.
    The hardest part would be to advertise rail as an better alternative to driving or air.

Once took a train from Houston to LA and back, it was a great experience. Slow, but enjoyable and the cheaper than all other public transportation.

Rail is very popular in some small areas, usually the New England and in LA. High speed between some major cities like LA-SanFran and San Antono-Austin-DFW has a very good chance to be profitable.

If Amazon could quickly load and unload delivery truck, then yes.

9. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

My Texas Senator Cornyn insisted on a SSN. He don't want no emails from any stink'n illegals.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 26, 2017 ---
    Build bridges not walls. :p

10. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Should not be allowed. You can be a citizen without a SSN.
    Agreed, but build them vertical.

11. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

On his email form it was a required entry.

Update: Added White House Email Contact link, in post 1.

12. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

just enter 555-555-5555

13. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'll let them know that I support any and all attempts at curbing illegal immigration, thanks for the reminder.:rolleyes:

14. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

Regardless of the cost or effectiveness, Big Brother knows best, your welcome. :p
    But maybe he'll disregard it then...

15. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Change your SSN by two digits ;)
    In any case SSN should not be a requirement to write to your representative.

16. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

I'll agree, it shouldn't and it isn't if you chose to write to them via snail mail.

17. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

This is 2017, not 1860. ;)

Quick Unofficial Poll: when was the last time anyone sent a letter through the mail? Not thinking of contracts, or forms where signature is required- may or may not apply. Some places for some purposes will take your signature on a fax or a pdf. When they include a postage paid envelope sometimes I'll use that to renew a subscription.

18. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Which is going to be noticed more? The inbox on whatever program they use for e-mail saying...XX,XXX unread emails.
    Or the boxes of unopened mail sitting in their office. Let's not forget it's not like these Reps are the ones actually doing the reading and responding either way.

19. Huntn thread starter macrumors G5

Huntn

It depends email is easier to scan through than opening and cataloging letters... I agree it's minions reading and tallying.

20. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

Either way (emails or snail mails tending to be ignored) this is why small groups of citizens will sometimes ask for a meeting at the Congress critter's office when trying to get a local issue recognized as being impacted by some action or inaction by Congress. Such a meeting might only be for five or ten minutes. Nonetheless it can be parlayed into forcing some recognition of the issue by contacting the press ahead of the visit and reporting back to the press on the results of the meeting (or, the refusal to schedule a meeting). Whatever the press ultimately reports of that encounter can then be amplified again by writing a letter to the editor of the paper remarking on the issue, the meeting, the press coverage or lack of it, etc.

21. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I would send a registered letter to my representative instead so I know it actually got to his/her office! Plus sending a letter today is cool and probably get opened!

22. LizKat macrumors 68040

LizKat

@ Huntn Why would a Senator ask for a Social Security Number on a contact form. Talk about disseminating opportunities for fraud and identity theft. He must believe the government's email servers are sacrosanct and have never been hacked, will never be hacked, no one reading his emails officially would ever use an SSN for some unrelated or illegal purpose etc. Is it all contact attempts via his official email? or just those involving questions having to do with one's own Social Security issues or VA issues or something?

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

Lizcat you right no government form asks for Social number (beside tax forms) and it sounds like a scam!

24. PracticalMac macrumors 68030

PracticalMac

Bridge over the Wall. ;) :p

25. aaronvan Suspended

aaronvan

Note: if you really want your representative to notice your communication send an old-fashioned letter via snail mail. It's no guarantee, but your email only has about a .01% chance of getting past the intern. Plus, you'll be supporting the USPS.