Contacts, International Numbers, & iMessage

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mtptlyx, Jan 6, 2012.

1. mtptlyx, Jan 6, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2012

mtptlyx macrumors newbie

mtptlyx

I'm having a bit of a problem with phone numbers in Contacts, especially with respect to iMessaging.
    First some background, for the sake of clarity.
    All iPhones in the family are unlocked 4S's.
    I live in the US, and travel to Ireland two or three times a year
    When I get to Ireland, I pop in an O2 or Vodaphone sim.

While in Ireland, I would dial 085 XXXXXXX to call or text my daughter (She lives there).
    From the US I have to dial 011 353 85 XXXXXXX
    (Aside from adding the International access code 011, and the Country code 353, notice that the leading zero must be dropped from the local area code).

First: Is there any alternative to keeping the number twice (once in the "in Ireland" style, and again in the "From the US" style.

Second: A few minutes ago I text'd my daughter using the 011 353 85 XXXXXXX number, and it appeared in green as a generic text.
    Yet when I'm in Ireland, I used the 085 XXXXXXX , and it appears in blue iMessage format.
    How can I make sure it goes as an iMessage when sending from the US? International texts can get expensive.

Thanks

2. iMacDragon macrumors 65816

iMacDragon

Try storing the number in international format +353 85 XXXXXXX, if nothing else, it will then dial correctly from either country. And is likely it will fix iMessage too.

It's generally better to always store numbers in contacts in international format for exactly the reasons of having it dial correctly regardless of where located.

3. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I don't know about the number thing, but if you are using strictly iMessage, it should work if she has her apple ID email registered.

4. mtptlyx thread starter macrumors newbie

mtptlyx

Thanks
    I'll give that a try.
    Using the international format, any idea how the issue of the leading zero gets handled?
    From within the country, the local area code is 085, yet when calling from the US you must use just 85 for the local area code.

Yes her Apple ID email is registered. iMessage worked earlier this week when I was texting her while still in Ireland.
    Let me see what happens when I drop the 011, and preface the country code with a "+".

Thanks

5. kfergiez macrumors 6502

kfergiez

I've got family in London, I live in the states. Whenever I use iMessage, I don't need to use a country code.

6. DefBref macrumors 6502

With the number stored in the format described, you don't have to worry about that, the phone will sort it out for you, thats the whole point of storing it in that format, so it will work anywhere in the world without you having to change the number in anyway.

7. hallaisen macrumors regular

You drop the 0 after the country code when you start with + as well.