contacts not syncing to iphone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by amanda kathryn, Jan 25, 2009.

1. amanda kathryn macrumors regular

knowing how apple likes everything to be streamlined and work together, i find it very hard to believe the iphone isn't just automatically grabbing the info in my address book. for the life of me i cannot figure this out!

this seems to be the most help, but reading that, and checking my settings, i'm just not getting it. everything else is syncing, my notes and calendar and stuff, but not contacts. push is on. done the sync now on mobileme, everything else has taken. what am i missing???

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

:confused:

2. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

In the MobileMe System Preferences:

Click the Sync tab
    Click Advanced
    Click Reset Sync Data

This should fix it.

3. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

i assume that would be "on mobileme with sync info from this computer" ?

if so, no dice :( why am i getting the feeling i'm going to have to manually type in all this stuff?

i tend to think i'm fairly computer savvy, by no means an expert, but i generally have very little techno-fear and i'm willing to figure stuff out on my own, and usually can, even if it takes a while. if I'M having this much trouble, i can't imagine how the average person gets through this stuff.

4. kolax macrumors G3

On your iPhone:

Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> MobileMe and make sure they are all set to "On".

5. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

well, contacts were "off." i got all excited thinking i found the solution, switched to on, it gave me a warning that what was on the phone would be deleted, i agreed, synced again... nothing :confused:

what on earth is going on? :(

6. kolax macrumors G3

So you have MobileMe Contact Syncing enabled on your iPhone. When you load Contacts, it is just blank?

Try rebooting your iPhone (hold the Sleep/Wake and Home Button for 10 secs until the Apple logo appears).

7. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

it was only showing the five contacts i had entered manually, not the ones in my contacts on my computer.

well, something worked at some point! i left my house around 1:00, got to NY at 1:45, went into my contacts to call one of the five i had manually entered, and there was everyone! still have no idea what did it, but something worked!

i'm sure it was something someone here posted, so thank you :)

8. kolax macrumors G3

Maybe MobileMe was having temporary maintenance and the whole thing was a coincidence. Reason it wasn't working originally was because you didn't have MobileMe Contact Syncing turned on in your iPhone options.

9. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

well, the weird part is, the only thing that was checked in there was mail, which was working. calendar was not checked, but that still worked.

i'm kind of surprised that isn't automatically on by default, not sure how long it would have taken me to find that on my own.

10. kolax macrumors G3

Possibly because not everyone will have MobileMe ;)

But I guess it should be turned on from iTunes when you say you want to sync via MobileMe, rather than having to hunt for it.

11. amanda kathryn thread starter macrumors regular

true haha but it knows it's a MobileMe or .mac account, seems like it would set that automatically. looks like I'm good to go from here though, no other weird issues so far! love this thing :)