Contacts Question

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Warbringer, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Warbringer macrumors newbie

In iPhone's contacts, is it possible to rename the area where it says "work", "mobile", and "iPhone", to something different?

So instead of saying "work", it would read "Los Angeles", instead of "mobile", it would read "San Francisco", etc?

Thanks in advance for the help.

2. DefBref macrumors 6502

Yes, just edit the contact and add a custom label.

3. Warbringer thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you want to know why I asked the question?

Because I don't know how to do what you said.

4. FloridaMac macrumors regular

Go to the contact. Hit edit. Hit iphone, work, or whatever the number is currently labeled. scroll to the bottom and hit Add custom label.

5. Julien macrumors G3

Julien

Hit the Edit then click on the iPhone (or whatever it is) label scroll down to the last selection Add Custom Label and then select and type what ever you want.

EDIT: FloridaMac beat me to it.:D

6. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

Am I right in guessing this only works for iCloud contacts? I have some Gmail contacts and some true Exchange server contacts and neither lets me add a custom label, only a limited list.

7. JAT macrumors 603

Something like that. I haven't quite figured out the pattern, but there are definitely some that do not allow custom labels.

8. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

It should still work on the phone, it just may not transfer those labels back to the server.

When you are on a contact and you hit 'edit' and then hit the 'work, mobile, or home' label and then scroll all the way to the bottom of THAT page...do you not have a 'custom' button there?

Maybe I'm wrong, but I thought that would work for anyone. But thinking back it's been a long time since I've used anything other than MobileMe or iCloud, so maybe I'm just remembering wrong.

9. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

This is all I've got on both the Exchange and Gmail contact entries.

Just went into settings, turned on iCloud contacts and made a new one in that list. Sure enough custom label shows up there.....now if only I could sync contacts between Gmail and iCloud easily.

Attached Files:

10. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Interesting. Kind of weird that they don't let you just do it on the phone.

11. falterego macrumors 6502

falterego

I don't think Gmail supports custom labels from anywhere other than the website. I know MS Exchange does because we use them at work all the time for the same exact purpose, LA Office, London Office... Oh well, I never really needed anything to be that customized.