Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi,

Here is my app ContactsXL. With this app, you can create groups of contacts, manage your contacts and favorites, send text messages and emails to groups very quickly unlike with native apps which require you to add contacts one by one. you get notified of the birthdays of your contacts, manage smart groups, sort your contacts by any field, make calls with the built-in T9 phone dialer. And even more!

If you are a facebook user, you will be able to retrieve the photos, birthdays, companies, job titles and adresses of your facebook friends. And add the missing friends to your address book!

link to the appstore

Please let me know if you have any comment, question or suggestion. Or if you like it ;)

Please enjoy!

Last edited:

giver

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2011
Problem

I love your application @jonmars. But one of my problem that very important for me about the way to delete private or smart group from the list. I try to click the edit button on the top but their give me only "rename" not include "delete".

Could you please give me any suggestion or fix this problem.

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
@giver:first, thanks. About the issue, I know that and it will be fixed with the next update. You must have at least one group to be able to to that. Please create one group and it should be OK.

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi all

I have just submitted the update of ContactsXL.

Here is what is new in this new version:

-Phone Keypad: added a T9 Mode; added an option into the "Settings" page to enable search by number and/or name (T9); changed the keypad, biggers touches and results; fixed bugs

-Groups: The number of contacts of each group is displayed

-Facebook: added an option into the "Settings" page to be able to hide all the references to Facebook

-Birthdays: added an option into the "Settings" page to be able to ignore companies

-Menu: changed some icons

-Misc: made minors changes and fixe some bugs

-Languages: added German and Spanish languages

TitoC11

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2010
wont update new pictures

Hi Jonmars

i love this app but for some reason the pictures wont get updated in my contacts in my I phone 4. Yesterday i spent quite some time doing it one by one through the face-book profile on top of each contact. all the sync setting with facebook are on. am I missing something?

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi TitoC11,

sorry I have just seen your message. Can you sync photos now?

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi all,

the last update has just been released. Now there is auto sync between your contacts and your facebook friends.

I have some promo codes left, send me a pm if you want one.

++

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
I still have some promo codes left, send me a pm if you want one.

Did anyone test my app so that I can get some feedback, thanks in advance!

Berbolak

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
ContactsXL 3

I downloaed the lite version to see if this will work for me. Creating email groups is the most important feature. It "appears" that it will create groups but in the Left Pane I have the following buttons.
Edit, Private Gr. Smart Gr. and + symbol.

Edit and the + symbol are greyed out and not accessible.

I ASSSUME that the + symbol is only greyed out in the lite version but I'd like to be sure before I purchase it because if this doesn't work the program would be totally useless to me.

Any help would be appreciated

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
@Berbolak: do not worry, you will be able to do it with the "paid" version. Please read the app description of the Premium version, the app does everything what it says.

The app allows to manage contacts, favorites, groups, smart groups, to send text messages and emails to groups without having to add contacts one by one, to get notified of the birthdays of your contacts, to use a T9 phone dialer, to sort your contacts, etc..

If you are a Facebook user, you will be able to retrieve the latest Photos, birthdays, companies, job titles and adresses from your friends. If they do not belong to your address book, the app will allow you to add them to it.

And even more!

Berbolak

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
ContactXL

Thanks Jonmars. It did work in the paid version. I have an issue however.
I have mine and my wifes emails accessible via the ipad. I have edited my contacts list via the iPad and it appears there are syncing issues with iOS and gmail.
Using ContacsXL I create a new group then go to add members to the group. Sometimes there are 2 entries for the same person. Some will add to the newly created group and some don't. An easy fix would be to select the one that gets added. However, some of the names only appear once and they will not add to the group.
Do you have any idea how I can resolve this or have I created a monster>:D

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hello Berbolak,

first, you can't manage gmail groups on iOS. iOS does not support gmail groups so far. But you can create private groups instead with this app.

if a person belongs to the local address book and gmail, he will appear twice in the app.

When creating a group, you can choose to which account you want to add that group. If you create a group in the local address book, iOS will only allow this group to contain contacts who belong to the local address book. If you don't want any constraint, please use private groups instead

I hope I was clear enough because it is not very easy to get it. Everything would be so simple if gmail groups could be supported on iPhone.

Berbolak

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
ContactsXL

Thanks Jonmars>

That gives me a few ideas to give a go at. I appreciate how difficult it must have been understanding my question. Heck I wasn't sure I understood my own question! LOL. It would indeed be nice if IOS supported seamless gmail syncing. Hopefully iOS 5 will address this.

Berbolak

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
ContactsXL

Ok, I'm beginning to think that this isn't going to work.
I created a Private Group and named it XL Test Group.
I successfully added approximately 30 names, showing their email addresses then exited the program.
I then fired up the iPad email app to create an email to send to the group I just created.
I hit the "+" key to access my contact group recipients. All of my contacts are here but the group I just created is not.
I tried selecting different "groups" from:
-All Contacts
-All from my PC
-Gmail Contacts
-Gmail Global Address List

My test group does not appear after selecting either of these choices.

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hello,

you can't do that. You can only send emails or text messages to groups from within the app.

Besides private groups are only available in the app, that's why they are private lol.

Berbolak

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2011
oops

Ok, that does make sense now. Lol.
So that means that I can't "forward" an email that I received to my private group which is a bit of a bummer.

I know I've been a pain in the butt and you've been very patient with me and I thank you for that.
I like the program and will use it. Hopefully iOS 5 will address this gmail syncing issue and all of this will be mute (I think) ;)

Again thank you for your help.

redrider969

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Backing up Contact Information

Jonathan, I love ContactsXL. But I am pretty much a amateur when it comes to operating most of the iPod software. A couple of times, I've had to exchange my 3rd generation iPod for a new one under the extended service contract. In each case, I've lost all the data in my ContactsXL program.

In the most recent instance, the operating software on my iPod was corrupted. We tried to save all my data to iCloud and reinstall in on my replacement iPod, but the corruption problem came back with the reinstallation. Is there any way I can back up just the data on ContactsXL to my Windows-based computer or even to my Android phone so that I don't have to spend hours trying to recreate my contact information?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
Hi redrider969,

this is weird that you can't sync your contacts with iCloud, it works well with me.

Yes, you can now make a backup with the last update of my app. To do that, please go the contacts page then select the action button and select "share contacts". Please select all contacts then select the compose button. You can send you the email which contains a .vcf file with all of your contacts inside.

redrider969

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Backing Up ContactsXL

Thank you for your assistance. It wasn't that iCloud wasn't backing up ContactsXL. The problem was it backs up everything and only allows restoration of everything. As a result, when I tried to restore my programs to my replacement iPod, it restored the corrupted operating system right along with all the rest of the files. So, in the process of restoring my program files, I was also installing the corrupted operating system.

One last question (for now!). I've sent the backup file to myself just as you suggested. How do I restore the files to ContactsXL if (and given my previous experience with the iPod this "If" is almost a certainty) needed?

redrider969

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2011
Ongoing Problems

Things are getting complex... In an attempt to get all my contact information into my iPod following the corrupted data issue I (1) reloaded the corrupted backup from iCloud into my iPod. (2) went into the iCloud settings and de-elected everything except ContactsXL (so only ContacatsXL was being backed up. (3) I then reset my iPod and synced it to my computer, reinstalling all my programs. Everything worked "OK" to this point.

I had to call Apple support for figure out how to download my ContactsXL program and data from iCloud, and I forget exactly how we did it, but once it was done all my contact information was back, but so were the corrupted files. As you might recall, one of the problems with the corruption is that I can's use the Mail function of the iPod. I can still get into my email by going into a browser, but if I try to use the Mail function, I get an error message saying that my password is not entered for my mail programs (Yahoo & Gmail) and it won't let me enter the passwords. So, I can't email myself my ContactsXL data using the share function as you suggested.

I had about decided that my contacts were more important than easy access to my email and was just going to let the corrupted files remain, when I tried to edit a contact file, and discovered I couldn't do it. Then I tried to enter a new contact and found that I couldn't do that either.

Now I am wondering if the corruption that is causing all the problems might be in the ContactsXL programming rather than the operating system.

The contact information is very important to me. Please help!

Thank you for your time and consideration.

Sincerely,

Dick Grover

jonmars

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 15, 2009
hi all,

here is a trailer for my app ContactsXL for iPhone and iPad, I hope you're gonna like it!

Last edited:

Itstimetoriseup

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2013
I love this app but now get 'Facebook error' message every time I try to synch my address book or a single entry to Facebook.

Any suggestions?

kcates

macrumors newbie
Oct 3, 2014
Groups from within mail client?

Hi, I'm totally new to this app. I understand I can initiate things like sending email from within the app, and the selection of a group works in that case.

But if, for example, I'm reading an article online and wish to email a link to a group, the article starts up the email client and I have to select the group from there. Except that I can't. Pressing the blue + displays the list of groups, I select one and the group members are displayed, but there is no way to get the entire group into the "to" field of the email. I can do them one at a time, but that sort of defeats the purpose.

What am I missing, or what is the right way to manage this?

Thanks!
Ken

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.