Contemplating returning my iPad 2 for a refund. Can anyone convince me not to?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by rockinmorockin, Apr 21, 2011.

1. rockinmorockin macrumors member

I don't know. It's cool and all. But having a computer, getting a laptop in a month, and having an Android phone makes it seem like I don't really need it. My sister was asking me why I would get one if I'm getting a laptop and I saw her point.

Why should I keep it? What will the iPad 2 be capable of and all?

2. Charadis macrumors 6502a

Of all the devices you have, the iPad is probably the least necessary and most expendable if you just need the money. I was kind of in the same position as you when I got mine, but the other way around. I just purchased a MacBook Pro from Amazon and was just starting to enjoy it before I got my iPad a week or two later. It was an impulse buy because Verizon had a sale on all their original iPads, and I was curious to try one out.

When I got my iPad, I realized I was using it more for general surfing and entertainment. I contemplated selling my MBP because I love using my iPad so much, and the MBP cost more than I initially budgeted, but I later came to realize that the iPad is just much more limited. It also helped that I got a raise not long after and decided to cease the opportunity to celebrate.

Unless you're really strapped for cash, I'd recommend keeping your iPad. If you don't find yourself using the iPad very much, or find it collecting dust more than often, then that money might be better spent elsewhere. My iPad practically replaced my iPhone for general app usage/entertainment, and I just can't imagine being without it anymore.

-C

3. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

not strapped for money, like the apps, listening to music on it, and web browsing. but will there be a jailbreak for it in the near future?

even though my phone can do all of that. it's just once i get a laptop...ehhh i don't really know.

but this ipad 2 is cool. what will it be capable of?

4. btbrossard macrumors 6502a

Just take it back.

If someone needs to CONVINCE you to keep it, you don't need it.

5. eawmp1 macrumors 601

eawmp1

You're a college student who will be getting a laptop. You don't need an iPad. Sell it and be more contemplative prior to future purchases.

6. Charadis, Apr 21, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 21, 2011

Charadis macrumors 6502a

There's potential for jailbreaking, but it's not (yet) available. If you check the hacks section, you can stay on track and learn about any future options that are released.

As for capabilities, if you've never owned an iPad before, there is plenty that the device can do. Aside from games, music, loading movies, and internet browsing, the cameras on the new iPad 2 enable FaceTime and picture taking features/editing (Photo Booth) unavailable on the original iPad.

I own an original iPad, but I've played with the iPad 2 at Best Buy, and I'm very impressed with the integrated cameras and speed. The screen also looks slightly nicer, but it could have just been psychological. Developers will have to take advantage of the double memory, speedier processor, upgraded graphics, and other new implementations in the iPad 2 before we can truly compare the added capabilities.

-C

EDIT: I just realized you're the OP on another thread about using the iPad 2 as a laptop substitute. Since you've already got the iPad, I'd recommend keeping it. Using it alone would be a bit impractical, but using it while having a laptop would be perfect. It's just so much more convenient carrying it around instead of lugging a laptop to class (unless it's a MBA...). I've found the iPad so much better and convenient for taking to work over my MBP, and I've appreciated the tasks it's capable of for mobile productivity as well as mobile entertainment on the couch when I'm just chilling after work.

7. benjayman2 macrumors 6502

benjayman2

Agreed. I kind of smh at these types of threads. Just return it. If you feel down the road you wanted to keep it then it will probably much easier for you to purchase one at that time. No one needs an iPad.

8. rockinmorockin thread starter macrumors member

thanks, charadis. i appreciate the advice.

9. xraytech macrumors 68030

STOP RIGHT THERE!!!

Before you say another word, go to your nearest Apple Store and return your iPad 2.

NO MORE WORDS... no more words.

Just get in your car and go.

10. GadgetAddict macrumors 6502

11. svenn macrumors 6502

Keep it since you clearly want it. Or return it since you obviously don't need it. What a tough decision..

12. deadstockmarket macrumors regular

deadstockmarket

I really don't understand these posts. If you want to return it or even have the thought of doing so, then you probably should return it. Why ask people who know nothing about your situation be the deciding factor if you choose to spend $5-850 on a device. Seems ridiculous to me.

13. Joey47 macrumors newbie

14. Smoothness macrumors regular

We don't know why you bought it. If you only using it to do the same thing you going to do on your laptop return it.

15. jdcell100 macrumors regular

16. silverblack macrumors 68030

silverblack

It's perfectly fine to have a computer (assuming a desktop) and an iPad. The better question to ask is why get a second (laptop) computer.

I teach college Chemistry, and students are not required to have a laptop. They'll need a computer though. When I see students trying to take notes with their laptops, I feel like slapping them. It's ineffective (can't sketch figures and equations), and unnecessary (pencil and paper would work better). The iPad on the other hand, can at least let you hand write on PDF files. It still think pencil and paper is better, but I do see the potential benefit of having all your e-notes and e-textbooks, and the internet with you on the iPad wherever you go.

An iPad will also have the battery life to last you a day (unlike a laptop, and no, you don't get your own power outlet in every classroom). You do want to practice typing on the touch pad at a reasonable speed.

However, don't try to use your iPad at home for homework and assignments. Use a real computer to get the job done properly. So I see having a desktop and iPad being the best combo. A desktop and a laptop is redundant. A laptop and an iPad could work, but why spend more on a smaller screen when you don't need to carry it around that much anyway.

17. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Yeah, return it.

We don't know enough about your personal lifestyle and habits to make any convincing case that you "need" an iPad 2. Most people don't really need an iPad 2. Many of got it because it's something we like.

Return the iPad 2. Doesn't sound like you need it.

18. aristobrat macrumors G5

Return it. If you ever find a definite need for it in the future, you can always buy another one. However, to return it, you only have a limited time.

19. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

Most college students are not going to need an iPad 2. Can an iPad 2 enhance the study lives of a student? Sure it can, but not necessarily so. It depends on the students' work style. If I were a college student, I wouldn't find the iPad 2 that necessary if I already had a laptop. I don't take notes with my laptop, finding it rather cumbersome and much prefer the ease that pen and paper provides that no electronic devices, including the iPad has provided. Electronic devics for impromptu notetaking is simply too cumbersome.

I suggest the OP simply return the iPad 2.

20. thibaulthalpern macrumors regular

I totally agree with you. Using an iPad in college to take notes is unnecessarily fussy and ineffective. Pen and paper is much better at the job because you can write in any which way you want without the restrictions and confinements that digital devices have. While some people might argue that "Oh having an electronic notetaking device helps you to organize the notes better" I would say that kind of argument is baloney.

I've taught social science courses and art history courses in college and never have I seen any need to use a computer to take notes. Organising notes for classes comes not so much at the level of the paper (i.e., the writing) but at the mental level. Besides, when I'm teaching my art history courses, I've seen students struggle with figuring out to take electronic notes when I'm presenting a slide of a visual piece and their notetaking programme is only good for linear text or very rudimentary (and fussy) sketching.

Return the iPad 2 and save the money for AFTER college when you probably could integrate the iPad 2 better and more usefully into your personal and work lives.

21. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

I ordered mine, it's still in HongKong according to TNT.
    That's 4 weeks later. I wish I could return it, but it's not even delivered yet.

Convincer: Enjoy what you have : or don't buy stuff in the first place.

In my case: It's worth the wait, another 3 days won't matter, and unless hardware is broken I doubt I need a reason to return it.

Android, .. HA! .. That's like the prototype product you demo to steve who then goes "great prototype, now let's make this Apple, .."

22. kazaam93 macrumors member

It depends. I am 17, have a new desktop in the house, a decent working laptop, an I got the iPad. I had this dilemma before purchasing but I couldn't bring myself to return it now. I was discussing this with my friend who has the original iPad in their house, and he said he doesn't use it because he doesn't see the point, but it depends if you are going to use it to its full potential. I use mine for air video, forums, genera, browsing, kindle for reading books, newspapers, magazines and games. I hardly use my laptop now! It is just so much more convenient to use the iPad and is battery life is amazing.

I have the Apple wireless keyboard which works a treat for typing out longer things, but this I am typing on the touchscreen at the moment, I have also pre-ordered a case for my iPad which let me stand it up so I can use it as a laptop to type essays, etc. The thing I like about this is its so light and portable and can do so much and the screen doesn't give me a headache or strain my eyes like the laptop, so I can use it for ages unlike the laptop, and the laptop gets uncomfortable on my laps after a while because it's obviously heavier. I still use my laptop and desktop but the iPad is always by my side due to it's portability and battery.

If you are not going to use it to it's potential, or if you need the money then return it. it really depends how much you find yourself needing to use the Internet. For simple tasks such as essays the iPad is fine IMO, you can browse the net, type essays, etc. How about you see if you can live with the iPad and then cancel the laptop?

But at the end of the day, only you can answer this question, and if you feel like you will not use it, then return it, as others have said, you an always buy it at a later stage. But I cannot imagine living without my iPad now, it will always be a must have for me. :D

Also have a look here:http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30799902&highlight=

23. darngooddesign macrumors G3

How will you make any serious choices in your life if you can't even decide on returning something you bought?