Contemplating to buy an iPad. Is it the right choice for me?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Objector, Aug 20, 2012.

1. Objector macrumors member

Dear Apple-enthousiasts,

Since the initial release of the iPad I have been thinking of buying it, but I could never justify the price. At the moment I'm working as a student and the iPad seems more attractive with every euro I earn...

The iPad would be an addition to my 27" 2011 iMac and my 2009 MBP. I don't have an iPhone since I'm a happy HTC Desire (Android) user.

I'll give you a brief look at the reasons I want an iPad:

I'm still in college and I'd really like a device for note taking. My MBP is still a perfect device, but since I make annotations in Powerpoints and PDF's, I sometimes struggle to take notes the way I want it. Most of the time I just use the notes in PPT and that doesn't enable me highlight, draw schematics, ...

If it comes to school I'm not really organised and most of the time my papers end up wrinkled on the bottom of my backpack. I'd like to have one device with all my documents neatly organised, so I can never forget something.

Next year I'll be writing my thesis and that requires me to read A LOT of scientific PDF's and I'm not feeling like printing thousands of pages at home, only to find out that only a few pages were relevant to my research... The iPad would allow me to organisze, bookmark and annotate the most important studies and paragraphs. I'd write and type my thesis on my iMac or MBP, but keep the iPad next to me for reading.

During finals I always print summaries of my courses and it uses a lot of paper and inkt. So I guess I'd also be learning from the iPad.

Next to school usage the iPad would be used for music with my band, everyday surfing, reading and playing games. I also use Google Calendar a lot, so making appointments on the iPad would be awesome, since it will probably be faster than my phone. I'm also a big comic geek, so I'll be reading a lot on the iPad!

IF I'd buy an iPad, I think I'll go for the 64gb version. I'm using Dropbox a lot, but you can never go wrong with more storage space.

Would the 4G version be worth the extra 130 euro? Wouldn't I be better of thethering from my phone or buying one of those small 20 euro devices that act like a hotspot? The money I save with it, would buy me a nice case and stylus...

Is it worth it waiting for the next iPad?

2. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

Sounds like you'd get your moneys worth if you do buy it, since you already listed plenty of justifiable reasons to get one. I'm also in school, finishing up my senior year, and I'm getting one soon for a few of the reasons you have listed as well.

3. Objector thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the response! Would there be a new iPad release in september, or am I safe to buy? Still not sure wether to go for 32 or 64 gb...

4. taipan61 macrumors 6502

wait till school starts, get one, if you like it and it's useful keep it, if you don't (check the return policy where you purchase) return it...simple
    we cannot make the choice for you as it is a large purchase (money wise) but you may want to try something smaller and see if it fits your needs

i find it productive (light usage coupled with a mba) and it helps pass the time when i'm on the road for business

5. gpatrick15 macrumors regular

There are rumors of a smaller iPad coming soon, with a 7.85" screen. No one really knows yet though. Personally I feel it's safe to buy it now, but September 12th is the next keynote where they'll definitely be announcing the new iPhone and maybe the iPad mini. They may revise the current iPad with the new smaller dock connector, but again, it's just a rumor. Buying now would be my suggestion.

As for storage options, I'm going with the 16gig simply because I don't plan on storing a whole lot on there. I have my music collection on my MBP, and for the music I wanna carry with me at all times I put it on my Galaxy Nexus. But I can only speak for my situation. If I had your exact usage I'd probably go with the 32gb. But that's just me.

6. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

You should always go for the biggest size,

I plan on geting a Ipad and I know it would be full quick if its a 16gb as my little ipod is 16gb,

7. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Hand written notes on the iPad are of no use if you take a ton of notes. There is no search functionality in any of the apps I've tried - if there is one, feel free to correct me.

OneNote is the only good Notebook app but ONLY the Windows app right now. Their iOS version sucks compared to the Windows version. The problem with that is (currently) all of the Windows tablets suck hardware-wise.

An iPad with OneNote that matches the Windows version would be the perfect note taking machine - it just doesn't exist.

8. Objector thread starter macrumors member

I'm not planning on taking notes from scratch when I'm following a lecture. Most of the time the powerpoint presentation gets uploaded before the lesson starts, so I'd always take notes onto those (I'd convert them to PDF if necessary). This way I only have to write down extra's.

9. bogatyr macrumors 65816

Ah, then any tablet out there should suffice.

10. virginblue4 macrumors 68000

virginblue4

From all of what you have said, I would definitely recommend getting an iPad. Would you make much use if the 4G? If not just buy the wifi only version and tether if needed.

If you want an iPad now, buy one. There may possible be an iPad mini in September but the 4th generation won't be out until around March 2013, so you may as well just buy one now.

11. Oppressed macrumors 65816

Oppressed

You have pretty much summed up all that you could use an iPad for in your post. The only advise I would recommend is don't get an iPad 2 or the upcoming iPad mini, and invest in an iPad with a retina display. It will make a world of difference when you have to read that many documents.

12. Objector thread starter macrumors member

I just ordered a new iPad! A black wifi one with 64GB of memory. Now the waiting game begins... I guess I'll be looking at apps and cases the following days. Can't wait! Hope it turns out the iPad is a good purchase for me.

13. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

If your school have a WIFI/hotspot then you don't need 4G/cellular. Save your money. :apple:

14. i0Nic macrumors 65816

An iPad is always the right choice. Get the best one you can afford.

15. SlyMac macrumors 6502

This. I had a 3g ipad 2 and used the 3g once in about a year. If your near wifi on a regular basis, save the money or spend it on more storage. I bought a retina ipad and went through the 32 GB like it was nothing.

16. Major.Robto macrumors 6502

school wifi is normaly blocked off from websites like facebook. also school wifi is always slower because of so many computer, phones and users, useing the network.

17. shamash macrumors 6502a

shamash

Maybe in high school, but I've never seen a college campus block Facebook.

18. Objector thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the comments everyone!

College network can be indeed slow when you're in a full auditorium, but normally I try to come prepared with the lesson material already downloaded on my Macbook.

Having a pristine network connection during the lesson can work counterproductive and it'll be hard enough to keep my concentration when I have other entertainment on my soon-to-be iPad...

I had enough money to buy the 64gb 4G version, but I think I'm glad I went with the wifi only. I'm sure there will be moment I'll wish I had a internet connection, but it won't justify the price difference and the monthly fees...

19. Legios macrumors regular

You can always look into a "hotspot" option from your phone if you need a secondary internet connection. I always planned to get a WIFI only ipad and whatever the current mifi hotspot device is from my provider with the savings.

20. metanoiac macrumors member

I think you would be well served with an iPad. I am totally paperless since 2010 when the first one came out. Unless you want to carry around a lot of music, videos or photos, I would go with a 32 GB. I wasn't able to fill my 64 GB in over two years. Save the 100 bucks to invest it in some music streaming service, if you like.

Also, I don't think you need a 4G model. Mine is WiFi only, and besides school, home and coffee shop, I am just fine with WiFi.

For your thesis you should look into Papers or Sente. These are PDF management systems, and both have Mac apps as well. For note taking: Notability is a good app, and I like the Jot Pro stylus most.

You should definitely check out my blog about using iPad for research, teaching and learning. There you will find a lot of more info on what size / model is a good one, what are great apps for students, and what accessories are useful and which ones are not. The link is in my signature line vv

21. Badrottie Suspended

Badrottie

Or you can buy an iPad with LTE but you don't have to sign up for LTE service until you are ready. :apple:

22. miamialley macrumors 68030

miamialley

Don't listen to this guy. I don't know why people say this, as everyone has different usage purposes. My iPad 2 was 16 and that was totally fine. I did opt for the 32g for the iPad 3 to allow for extra movies when I travel. If I had spent the money for the 64 it would have been a waste for both devices.

23. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

Very good choice ! You will love it.

For upcoming mobile need you still would add just a mobile wifi router also useful for your MBP. So a WiFi only iPad is actually enough.

For notes in meeting I use iThoughtsHD (a mind mapper); easy to reshuffle and cross reference items. I could imagine its also helpful in learning situation. I actually had recently a three week training and used it a lot. Was very nice to review after class.