Contempt for Middle Americans by ‘Eastern Liberals’ Explains Trump Election

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jan 2, 2017.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/celebrity/anthony-bourdain-says-contempt-middle-190003979.html
    what say you

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

3. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

"
    Which is so different from how conservatives treat bleeding heart liberal cry-babies in need for a safe place....

Face it 99% of americans are utter morons both when it comes to their political viewpoint AND accepting opposing ones.

4. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

There aren't as many of them

5. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Yeah, about 2000000 less last time counted :p

6. daflake macrumors 6502a

All the time... I was raised in Texas but have the ability to drop my accent at will. When I moved back up to the east coast, it was amazing how differently I was treated when I sported an accent over dropping it. When I had the accent going, people treated me as if I was some backwoods moron who couldn't even spell; never mind I had a higher education than most of them.

The folks on the east coast have no idea what it really is like living in the south or middle America.

Sadly, they don't care either.

7. unlinked macrumors 6502a

Generally it is more acceptance to dislike people because of their beliefs than where they were born.

8. colourfastt macrumors 6502a

colourfastt

There is a reason we fly over the middle of the US going from one part of the civilised world to the other.

9. Fancuku macrumors 6502a

Fancuku

Lefties are anything but liberal, so lets stop using that word when describing them.

As far as Bourdain, somebody check his show's ratings before we can believe him. If the ratings have fallen, then I don't know if I can believe him that he is being sincere. ;)

10. werked macrumors regular

werked

Haha. This is funny to me....being from the south (still here) but having lived in other parts of the country through my military service....I have to say, wrong or not, the same people who think I'm a moron or idiot or whatever they say....well, I think the same of a lot of them. Haha.

11. thewitt macrumors 68020

thewitt

I've stopped watching him since his post election rants against Trump.

Done.

12. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

From some of the posts in this thread and how rare opinions like Bourdians are since the election truthful or not, I would say they still haven't learned their lesson.

13. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

I've lived on both coasts and in the "middle" of America. Middle America is miles better than any of the coasts.

I literally am counting the days until I am able to get off the east coast (New England) This place SUUUUUUCKS!

The only coastal location I'd consider at this point is Oregon. That's a beautiful state with a lot of great fly fishing, and within a day's drive of my original home. Oregon is beautiful enough to make up for the legions of insufferable, self congratulatory weirdos in the Portland metro area (though there are plenty of nice-normal folks there too).

Plus, when people out here in New England learn that I left Utah to come here, they look at me sideways and ask why on earth I'd leave such a beautiful and friendly place for a dump like the NE...I don't have an answer for that.

14. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

Some of us already said the same thing.

15. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

You've just proven the contempt is mutual.

16. oneMadRssn macrumors 68040

oneMadRssn

Yep, the contempt goes both ways for sure.

17. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Oh I know. I'd believe a poster on a forum sooner than I would someone who has the spot light. The part of his quote that gives me more questions than answers is this one, "“The utter contempt with which privileged Eastern liberals such as myself discuss red-state, gun-country, working-class America as ridiculous and morons and rubes". Yeah he goes on to say we are nice people who are trying to make it, but he doesn't say that those thoughts are wrong. At least I'm not reading anything like that.

18. DearthnVader macrumors 6502

DearthnVader

No one cares about the contempts of the minority.

19. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Nope, my contempt is for the location. Coastal Liberal's contempt is for the people.

20. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

The minority only stays the minority for 4-8 years at most. It would do everyone some good to have less contempt.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 3, 2017 ---
    Yeah your rant about Oregon and the Portland area really seemed like it was about the location and not the "weirdos" that live there. Just admit it, you're no better, you're just as pretentious.

21. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

Maybe if the news media spent a lot more time presenting them as hard working friendly Americans and a lot less time painting them as rednecks trying to hold back progress through values set by the bible and a war lost 150 years ago we’d have a more accurate perception. Also for all their friendliness their southern conservatism gets presented as “Me, myself, and I. Screw everybody else.”

It’s the news I’m telling you, but just like the Democrats they won’t take any time reflecting on their own behavior.

22. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Read again. Oregon (as I wrote) is a beautiful state with a lot of good stuff going on. Sure Portland has a lot of weirdos (they pride themselves on it), but it's still a cool place. In the same paragraph I also said there are plenty of nice people there too.

Out here in New England, the people are cool. But the scenery sucks. No mountains, no fly fishing that I've been able to find, and no wide open spaces. The weather generally sucks. And the cities all seem to be in a constant state of decay (with few exceptions). Add to that the fact that the cities are also pretty filthy, the whole region is like one big food desert, and the cost of living is sky high and taxes are out of control and I just don't see what anyone could like about living in this place.

But like I said, nice down to earth people. No complaints there at all.

23. vrDrew macrumors 65816

I'm going to push back, and say that the problem was that Liberals probably gave the American people too much credit. That the educated elites honestly didn't think that vast swathes of this country would be so stupid, such poor judges of things like character and behavior, to elect a person like Donald Trump.

Look at the huge numbers of self-identified Fundamentalist Christians who voted for Trump. A man with multiple divorces, who hasn't stepped inside a church in decades, whose very life has been dedicated to the worship of Mammon and Ego. And whose first act will be to take away health care for tens of millions of those less fortunate than himself.

Liberals honestly didn't think Americans would be so dumb as to fall for Trump's lies.

24. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

Bourdain got it right, clearly. You can't even contain your disdain for those not like you. Anyone who doesn't think and act like VrDrew is stupid, dumb, and a poor judge of character. :rolleyes:

25. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Well, bless your heart.