Continuing problems with iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by entractiv, Apr 10, 2012.

1. entractiv macrumors newbie

I am on my 3rd iPhone 4s. I initially thought my issue was a battery issue but now I am beginning to wonder...

The phone will charge to 100% but it won't drain properly (it stays at 100% for a day or so even though it is being used and then the percentage will slowly start to fall) once the percentage does start going down it shuts itself off at anywhere from 50% - 70% so I never really know when to charge it or how long I can use it before it randomly shuts down.

Once it does power itself off when I plug it into the charger, the battery shows red like it is totally drained and then after a few seconds it pops back up to the percentage number it was at when it shut down so I am not sure where I am at on the battery.

This has happened to all three of the phones that I have gotten. It HAS to be something on my end for every phone to do the same thing but I am not sure what I am doing....

Any suggestions?

2. iceterminal macrumors 68000

iceterminal

Restore your phone as NEW, not from a backup.
    Use the phone for a day or so and check.
    Also, turn off the percentage. People use this number and believe it is the end all/be all exact number of what charge is left. Its an estimate.
    Turn it off and try not to worry so much about how much charge is left.
    I think you'll soon notice a difference.

3. entractiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Will definately try restoring as new and keep my fingers crossed.

I didn't figure that the % thing was completely accurate but I would think it wouldn't be 50% - 70% off...

Thanks for you suggestion! I appreciate it.

4. sulpfiction macrumors 68030

sulpfiction

Very strange that this has happened on 3 different phones. I have never heard of this issue before. Sure I have seen problems with the battery indicator being inaccurate, but your problem is very specific and uncommon. I'd say it's for sure something within your personal ecosystem causing the problem, but for the life of me I cant even begin to think of what it is. Keep us updated. I'm interested in the outcome.

5. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

^ I would also suggest this above. Try restore from back up, then drain the battery completely and see if this fixes the issue. If it doesn't, it is likely a corrupt data/file in the iOS from that back up. So I would try setting up as a new device and drain the battery and see if this fixes the issue. If not, then go to the apple store and get it replaced.

6. entractiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Have done a restore from backup on all 3 phones (have been sent 2 replacement phones) and the problem appeared on all of them. Will try the restore as new this time and re-download my apps individually. Hopefully that does the trick! Thanks for all the help!

7. cynics macrumors G3

Restore as new AND don't install any apps. Then use it without anything on it for a day or two. Then start installing things systematically and see if/when the problem starts.

8. entractiv thread starter macrumors newbie

Restored iPhone as new. Did not install any apps on it but I can't really get the battery to drain as it still gets down to around 50 percent (battery bar shows half full) and it shuts itself off. When I plug it in the batter shows red like it is drained for about 5 seconds and then it pops back up to half full... however when i take it off the charger again it shuts off. If I leave it on for a bit it will stay on but then shut off again when it gets to the same spot (about half full). How do I recalibrate a battery that won't completely drain before powering down??

9. Shadowbech macrumors 68030

Well the only way to recalibrate the accuracy is to fully drain it to 0%. In your case, you mentioned that your phone shuts off when it reaches below 50%? If that is the case, I would strongly suggest taking it to the apple store and get it replaced again. Something like this is defective in the battery.

What I would do is charge your phone to 55%-60%, go see the genius and use it a bit and prove them that it is turning off at around 50%.

10. entractiv thread starter macrumors newbie