contract buyout

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kclark, Mar 29, 2013.

1. kclark macrumors member

Feb 16, 2011
    I am currently under contract with Sprint thru 9/20/2014 but would like to switch to VZW or ATT. Can I pay the ETF of $260 to get out of the contract and would that unlock my phone so I don't have to get another one. Or is there a term in the industry that says I just want to pay off the phone and I want to stay with Sprint so they unlock the phone for say 2 months and then switch with an unlocked phone.

I want to switch but I have several lines that are under contract to the tune of about $1260 ETF and it would cost about $1400 to get new phones if I switch. But I would get about $1200 on trade in with VZW and probably the same with ATT.
  2. j.dstasio macrumors 6502

Jun 9, 2009
    South Jersey
    You can pay the ETF and end your contract with sprint, but unlocking a sprint iPhone won't do you any good with another carrier in the US. The hardware is not compatible with At&t or Verizon networks. You'd need to get a new phone.
  3. 617aircav Suspended

Jul 2, 2012
    Sprint sucks. Pay the ETF and sell the phones you have.
  4. kclark, Mar 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 29, 2013

kclark thread starter macrumors member

Feb 16, 2011
    Anyone know where to find an easy chart for data charges on att's site. Can't find anything clearer than mud. Verizon's is definitely easier to see and compare charges. I am looking at the business share everything on Verizon. can't find comparable plan on ATT.