Contract Free AT&T iPhone still comes unlocked?

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Hi everyone,

As most of you may remember when ip4s launched, the contract free (NOT subsidized) iPhone4S phones were appeared to be unlocked.

Just wondering this is still valid. :confused:

Thank you!

sevimli

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 26, 2007
ChiTown
Just buy a factory unlocked one through Apple. Same price and guaranteed to be unlocked forever.
Thanks for the reply. There is a $50 difference ($599 vs $649), and I bought many of those during the 4S launch for friends and family, afaik they still work without any issues, but it was back then.

iPhone Warrior

macrumors member
May 10, 2011
Unless someone who recently bought a contract free phone can respond, I believe that they stopped doing that. You could take your chances and pay the 600 to test it. But if it isn't then you will loose the re-stocking fee and then also pay the extra 50. I would just go for the unlocked one at a Apple store.

lingo124

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2011
I don't think it was an accident that the full price iPhone from AT&T came unlocked. I doubt that they'd let customers slip through the crack like that because AT&T wants money. Secondly, AT&T never relocked the phones. So my guess that if you get the full price AT&T iPhone it would be unlocked. Now whether the Apple store carries that model anymore I don't know. Just my 2 cents.

With that being said, I personally would go for the factory unlocked iPhone just for peace of mind, but I didn't wait for it when it launched so I actually have the AT&T version hehe

Last edited:

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
Thanks for the reply. There is a $50 difference ($599 vs $649), and I bought many of those during the 4S launch for friends and family, afaik they still work without any issues, but it was back then.
Pretty sure there isn't a $50 difference. Where are you seeing this?