Contract with Verizon - they made a mistake but i still have to pay

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tonywalker23, Jul 7, 2008.

1. tonywalker23 macrumors regular

long story short . . . i bought my wife a pink razor for christmas in 12/06. i told the girl it was a present for my wife and assumed that a pink phone would further drive home the point. well to get the razor cheap i had to sign a 2 yr extention on just my wifes line (we have a shared plan 50.0 + 9.99 for 500 min.).

well the girl put the pink phone on my line. i noticed it after i left the store. i went back and she switched it. but she made the mistake and put the pink phone and the 2 yr contract on my line instead of my wifes. she swapped the phones and numbers but i left the store with an old phone and a 2 yr contract on my line and a new pink razor and a contract free line on my wifes numbers.

i've called verizon twice and both times they say sorry but i still have to pay. i had 30 days to get any changes fixed if i wasnt happy with the service and since that ended 30 days after 12/23/06 they say i have to pay $80 if i leave.

please, anyone advice?

2. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

so basically the accidently upgraded your line to get her a new phone?? but didnt correct the contract on yours? i think...?

3. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

right. they were supposed to upgrade her phone, her line, her contract. but the upgraded her phone, MY line, and MY contract.

my number 0679 got a pink phone tied to it. her phone, 1455, had nothing happen. to fix it they put the pink phone on 1455, my wife, and fixed my line.

but their idea of fixing it was swapping the number and phone, instead of doing that and swapping the contract.

hope that makes sense.

4. thor79 macrumors 6502

thor79

Makes sense but there's no possible reason why you should have to pay the ETF considering it's their screw up. The problem here is they realize you're fully prepared to leave the company...they don't want that...so they are trying to keep you from doing that by making sure you have to pay the fee. That's BS frankly. Take it up as far as you can go...eventually you'll find someone who knows they are in the wrong and that it is right to make the contract switch and not force you into ending the contract you don't want to end. (I assume your wife is sticking with the Pink Razor?)

Keep calling and talk to a supervisor every time....or find a corporate number for public relations or something. Someone who will be in a position to either switch your contract to the appropriate line, waive the ETF and end the contract, or find someone who can. It's their screwup...no way should you be forced to pay a damn thing.

5. /dev/toaster macrumors 68020

/dev/toaster

Call them 12 times a day until they fix it. They will either drop you as a customer for abuse of support or get tired of you calling and fix it.

Don't keep the calls short, ask for super visors, different reps, etc. Make sure each rep gives you their name and ext each call. Make it a pain in the ass for them.

I kid you not, it actually works. What you need to ask your self is, are you prepared to be that big of a pain in the arse for $80 :D

6. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

what is your wifes contract status?? have u tried going into a store to see if they can move it over?

7. tonywalker23 thread starter macrumors regular

my wife is contract free with a newer pink razor

my line is under contract until 12/23/08 with an old phone i bought from a friend

(b/c they put the contract on the wrong line, it should have went on the razor line)

8. cWeems macrumors 6502a

cWeems

it would of definately been easier if u never mentioned cancelling and u had just said u wanted it fixed so u could upgrade soon or w/e.... i would try goin into a store and talkin to a manager there, maybe they can call cust service for u or email someone to make the contract swap.

9. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Just tell them you are thinking about upgrading. They will fix it in a heartbeat. I am sure they have records of the change so it should be obvious about the screwup.

10. yode macrumors 6502

Try posting this in a place like HoFo, the have a huge verizon community. Don't really know why you posted it here...

11. Let's Sekuhara! macrumors 6502

Let's Sekuhara!

I don't see what this has to do with the iPhone or AT&T...:rolleyes:

OK, nonetheless I can't pass up an opportunity to discuss how bad Verizon's customer service is. When they sold me my phone they told me that for only $5 a month I could surf the web on my phone. So I signed up for a plan with that feature. I didn't have an internet connection in my apt at the time, so I was getting by surfing the web on their crappy text browser. Then the phone bills came and they were each several hundred dollars. I called after each bill for several months in a row and demanded answers but they continued to tell me that I was being billed for X amount of minutes and it always was more minutes than I used. After a few months of this I figured out they were charging me for each minute I spent browsing the web as if I were talking on the phone. They don't differentiate between web minutes and phone minutes, so it wasn't obvious at first what was happening. I specifically asked the Verizon employee: "I won't end up paying more than $5 a month for internet, right?" and he replied "correct", which was an outright lie because they charge you for each f***ing minute! And $5 seemed appropriate considering how crude their web browser was. Turns out the $5 was just for the honorable privilege of having the option of surfing the web. Their policies are deliberately deceptive. :mad:

BTW, they also scammed me out of another hundred dollars or so by never mailing me my rebate for my phone. I highly recommend staying away from them.

12. jdcrow711 macrumors regular

you can cancel YOUR contract with verizon and not pay an ETF if you have someone to take it over until the end ... seeing as your wife is contractless she seems like an obvious choice.

have you tried that?