Contract with Verizon to expire on June 18th. 3G vs. 3Gs for son?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by vader1990, Jun 9, 2009.

1. vader1990 macrumors regular

Hi,

We're all on a family plan with verizon and its due to expire soon [June 18th infact] and we're plan to move over to AT&T. My son's a college student, his birthday is coming up. He's an Engineer, so technology seems to interest him quite a bit, haha. We were planning on buying him the new iPhone that is coming soon. But I'm confused about the 3G and s, or whatever it is...which one should we get.

My brother just finished his contract with AT&T and he plans to upgrade to the "s", so he gave me his 2 year-old original 8GB iPhone. My son claims he can make it work on AT&T without the $30 plan. He's smart I believe him. So I'll just use that phone without the data, I NEVER use mobile internet, so I'm happy :)

But we want to get him the full fledged plan, with everything in it. He used mobile internet a lot, he's been surviving on his colleges wifi on his iPod Touch, haha.

So what should I get him? Will the "s" have features that a college teenager would like? Its kind of a surprise so I can't ask him, lol.

Can you guys help?

Thanks a lot.

Also will his college give him a discount for our family plan? He goes to MIT. Thanks again.

2. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

If I were getting an iPhone now, I wish, I'd get the 3Gs, simply because for just $100 you get quite a bit more. A processor that claims to be twice as fast, a better camera, a built in magnetometer that can be used as a compass, and some other things. The small difference in price is well worth the bump in features.

3. derek1984 macrumors 6502a

I would get the 3GS. For the money, it just seems like you're better off. You can get the 3G for $99 which is cheap, but you get more value by getting the 16GB 3GS (better camera, new video camera)

4. Goldielocks19 macrumors member

Goldielocks19

to most people 3g vs 3gs doesnt matter too much.

but as a college student i am sure the video and improved camera features will be quite handy.

good luck! and kudo's sounds like he's a good kid who has worked very hard!

5. SteveMobs macrumors 6502

SteveMobs

Oh, and the normal 3G can't record video like the 3Gs can. And recording video is important in college, for recording stuff, I guess.

6. paulold macrumors 6502

It's like a computer - get the latest technology you can afford. I would go with the iPhone 3GS to give your son all the latest features. This upgrade is different than last time in that even some of the new software changes won't be available for the 3G phone, only the 3GS. If you want to give him a surprise he'll be really excited about, go with the 3GS.