Controling exposure time on camera?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by EvilQueen, Aug 15, 2013.

1. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Is there anything out there that will allow very long exposure times on the iPhone camera? Like up to a minute or longer?

2. cynics macrumors G4

Not that I'm aware of. To the best of my knowledge apple doesn't allow 3rd party camera app devs the API's for things like exposure, white balance, iso, etc....

3. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Slow Shutter will but for anything over 15s it has to be manual.

4. cynics macrumors G4

I believe that app (and all similar apps) are using tricks to give the illusion of the actual photo you are trying to take.

Reading reviews on that app it appears to basically be recording a video more then anything else. Which accounts for the low res pics it produces.

5. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

6. Mrbobb macrumors 601

U realize now u need a tripod and a mount. Assuming the sensor doesn't crap out too badly when asked to function out of spec.

7. EvilQueen thread starter macrumors 6502

I have a tripod mount that clips onto the phone.

8. Merkie macrumors 68020

Apple should open up the API for the camera. It would allow for great night photography using a tripod.

9. Dented macrumors 6502a

I'm not bothered about long exposures. As a photographer I'd love to be able to control shutter speed and aperture directly, but the aperture is fixed (at 2.4) so not much you can do there. I guess the alternative would be to give us access to the ISO, which would allow you to choose a higher or lower shutter speed, but with a resultant gain (or loss) of noise.

10. Givmeabrek macrumors 68040

Givmeabrek

High ISO, long shutter speed, extremely low light don't go with a cell phone camera!! :eek:

The resultant image would be terrible now matter what. Believe it or not in this case Apple knows best! :apple: