Controlling an iMac with an air, then using the iMac to control the air

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by doktordoris, Jan 13, 2012.

1. doktordoris macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I just screen shared my iMac in a window on my MBA, then in that window I got the iMac to screen share the MBA. I got a lovely effect of windows getting smaller and smaller inside each other. WHat a marvellous OS when it allows one to do something so useful!

2. Aksta macrumors regular

Yes it is amazing.

Can you do this remotely over a wifi connection?

3. gentlefury macrumors 68030

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use TeamViewer, which works with Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, Ubuntu, iPhone, iPad, etc. It's very secure and quite simple to set up and use (no messing around with ports), which comes in handy if providing remote support to those who aren't very computer literate. You can talk them through the setup on their end and be connected to them in less than a minute. It's also free for personal use.

5. doktordoris thread starter macrumors 6502a

doktordoris

I was actually talking about something useless.

I can have a window on my imac desktop in which my MBA desktop can be seen. Then, in that window, I can chose to screen-share my imac. SO I have control of my imac via a window on my air, which itself is controlled by my iMac.

That gives a lovely effect of windows getting smaller and smaller to infinity inside each other. Pointless but charming.

6. iBluey macrumors newbie

One concrete question

Albeit I do get the gist of your message regarding "indefinite mirrors loop" with screen share, here are couple of questions regarding screen share & remote work on iMac from mba:

If I use my 13" mba to share a screen from 27" iMac this is almost unusable due to the fact that high resolution of 27" iMac (native one set up from the unpacking) does not get downsized to native 13" resolution. Am I right on this?

At least this seems to be the case with my use of it.

And additional question - is there some built-in-Mavericks option that does just that? See and work on iMac remotely by opening it on mba, but in a way that what is shown on the mba screen is in native 13" mba resolution? This way it is usable, text is readable etc.

No - lowering resolution on 27" iMac is not an option for me. The application to support this should do it on the fly for the user of the application.

Does Apple Remote Desktop 3 support this?

----------

What I mean is the same kind of experience one gets by using Remote Desktop Connection in Windows environment: the screen resolution of the target system (the one connecting to) does not matter - picture is resized on the host system according to host resolution (system on which RDC is initiated).

For example:
    * 13" laptop with around 1378x765 resolution (I forgot exact pixels but its around these figures) - this is the host and from this small laptop RDC to desktop system is initiated
    * Desktop system with 22" monitor attached, screen resolution set to 1920 x 1080 for comfortable use while behind this monitor.

If one uses Windows RDC from laptop to connect to desktop PC, the images displayed on laptop are automatically adjusted to laptop's screen, thus enabling comfortable use of all apps from the target system on the target system, just doing it remotely.

Can such a thing be achieved without much hassle in mac environment?
    If yes, what software or setup is needed? In my limited experience of OS X I just refuse to believe such a thing is not supported by OS X natively, as Win RDC is.

Any helpful info on this topic would be appreciated - thank you.