Convention ends with Satan and immigrants

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, May 1, 2007.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

Daily Herald of central utah

uhhhhhh..........

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

So illegal immigrants are the Devil? I thought they were Catholic. Not sure what you're getting at, but I don't like where this is headed.

3. Queso macrumors G4

So in Utah Illegal Immigrants are the new Jews? Excellent :cool:

4. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Please tell me that the Daily Herald is merely plagiarizing from The Onion. :(

5. Swarmlord macrumors 6502a

Swarmlord

This guy Larsen is a loon if he thinks that illegal aliens control the media or are trying to destroy christian America. This sure smells of being a farce piece to me.

6. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Man, I thought that the South was wierd enough...

7. Queso macrumors G4

If it weren't Utah I'd be inclined to immediately agree. However, maybe we should keep an eye on Snopes, just in case :)

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

The problem is that legal aliens control the media. ;)

[​IMG]

9. stillwater macrumors regular

:eek: Wow, Utah republicans are the wing-nuttiest of all.

10. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Points to consider:

1) This is not Utah. It's Utah County. May not mean much to most, but those with familiarity will understand.

2) The guy is the chairman of the state legislative district's party. Not the state party, not the county party, but the legislative district. It's not exactly a heavily sought-after position.

3) The more established members of the party, in this case the state Senator, point out that the resolution was pretty dumb.

4) Nobody bothered to stick around. It's not like people stuck around to vote for it. And sure people could have stayed to vote against, but I don't think anybody took it seriously.

5) It's the Daily Herald. There only thing that was ever worth reading there was Eric Snider's Snide Remarks column.

11. miloblithe macrumors 68020

miloblithe

While if true it's abhorent and saddening, it's not like there aren't nut jobs in every party.

It's the mainstream Republican ideas that are really more disturbing.

12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

what? I thought the gays we're ruining america! Now it's immigrants doing the work of Satan? And what roll to violent video games and music play in all this?

Unless Satan sent the gay immigrants violent music and video games as training aids before they attacked america. Your a cleaver one Satan! :p

13. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

This statement makes about as much sense as politicians discussing Satan's influence on the evil, American hating, illegal immigrants.

14. aquajet macrumors 68020

Sheesh...what else can you say to this?

Have mercy on the guy; obviously he's suffering from dementia. I suspect a Thorazine drip is in order. Maybe even ECT.

15. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Sorry but up here in the Salt Lake County I am afraid that we are going to have to laugh at those guys down South. :p :p :p :p

16. emw macrumors G4

emw

Relax, he's from Utah and referring to Southern Utah as "the South", if I interpret things correctly.

Isn't that why so many illegal immigrants get work here?

Seriously, though, it's scary that people could even possibly think this type of crap.

17. faintember macrumors 65816

faintember

If thats the case I apologize. Seeing the "South" written like that made me identify it as a proper noun.

18. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No matter where (in Utah) they live.

The truly scary part is that enough people in that neck of the woods must feel the same way, or nobody who does would have the nerve to speak these thoughts out loud -- let alone, in a public forum.

19. emw macrumors G4

emw

Agreed - even the Senator didn't seem to go too all out against it, calling Larsen a "true patriot and a close friend" as opposed to a raving lunatic.

20. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I would be considered as an ultra-conservative Christian (but not a nut case) in the US, and even I don't buy this crap.

Satan likes the US where it is. Most of us are financially well off and don't think they need God. Why would he want to destroy that? ... especially if the illegals are considered by most to be Catholics.

21. Lovesong macrumors 65816

Lovesong

22. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

The problem isn't one of ideological acceptance. It's ideological apathy. I remember the Provo mayoral campaign my senior year (off-year). The incredibly low turnout (around 10% of registered voters), especially given the sizable well-educated population was disgusting. Considering that Provo/Orem is houses most of the county's population - is it surprising that some folks from out in east Springville will mouth off?

23. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

That's sort of a loaded question. I don't know much about the demographics of Utah but I do know that people generally don't make hateful statements in public if they think they'll be called on them. This kind of thing requires a social support network of fellow travelers.

24. princealfie macrumors 68030

princealfie

Actually I was wondering why didn't more BYU students show up at these protests?

They did protest Cheney and certainly BYU being an international school needs to have more action to allow for unrestricted immigration. :mad: