Conversion of pre- “Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child” conversion?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by melkins, May 19, 2016.

1. melkins macrumors newbie

Hi everyone,

Years prior to Apple creating their “Family Sharing and Apple ID for your child” option, we had to associate one our children’s e-mail IDs to my parental Apple ID – sort of like a pseudonym. One of my children’s Gmail IDs has been such a pseudonym to my Apple ID, and now that she is over 13 years of age, I need to know how to convert her pseudonym account under my Apple ID to her own account using her Gmail ID as her Apple ID. I am not going to change her Gmail account to a new one just so she can have her own Apple ID. When she was only a toddler, I signed her up for a Gmail account ID that will be suitable for the rest of her life, be it on a resume or in professional correspondence. In today’s e-world, that Gmail ID is as relevant as the name on her paper birth certificate. I have spoken to both Apple support and the team at the local Genius Bar, and there doesn’t appear to be a clear path toward accomplishing this. Has anyone been down a similar path and succeeded?

Cheers

Marc - Sydney, Australia

2. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

Since her Gmail address is already associated with your Apple ID, I'm not sure you can accomplish what you're wanting to. You may have to create an Apple ID with the same name, but @icloud.com, not @gmail.com. That way, you can keep the name you want AND she can have her own Apple ID. You are still able to do Family Sharing as well.

3. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

As above. The easiest way is to just set her up with a new Apple ID and then add her to family sharing