Converted Android user not completely happy with the iPhone 5s.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by cdmoore74, Oct 15, 2013.

1. cdmoore74 macrumors 68020

I have been an Android fanboy for at least 4 years but I got fed up with the lack of updates from Samsung and the release of so many models over a short period of time. I also got tired of hacking my phone because it ultimately took away too much of my life and I was never satisfied. So I decided that I wanted a phone that just works. Well the problem is that it really does not work as reliably as my previous Android phone (the Note 2) and not as reliably as many people in media makes it out to be.

Issue 1: I lose sound after a few days. There is nothing I can do but reboot the phone. It happened this morning in the NBC news app, 2 times in the Apple music app and 1 time on youtube. It happens immediately after playing sound. When I need sound again that’s when the issue pops up.

Issue 2: Bluetooth magically turns on after turning it off.

Issue 3: I have unexplained crashes to the desktop when using Safari or Google chrome.

Issue 4: Lag. Sometimes there’s a small amount of lag on the keyboard. Not every time but it’s very random. I thought every Apple device (including an iPhone 5s) was supposed to run circles around the competition. It’s not as bad as my other Android devices but the iPhone still has it.

Issue 5: Yesterday when I was in the bathroom at work my wife tried to do a facetime session. So of course I ignored the call but she called again using traditional voice. So I rejected the call but when I went back to my internet browsing the phone became so unresponsive I had to reboot it. At the time I was praising how Apple was going to make a huge comeback next year. This was when I felt really bad about my purchase.

Issue 6: My level is off (-2 max) but it’s not really a big deal. Everything works fine so I’m just going to wait.

Issue 7: I like the Android store much better. The review system for apps is behind Google’s. It shows reviews for the most recent update and not the lifelong rating. It’s as if people are reviewing the update and not the entire app. That really does not help me if I’m new to iOS. And it’s very difficult trying to find apps you want.

Issue 8: There should be a close all button when viewing all the running apps. I count 52 apps and even a reboot (after my sound went away) did not clear them. I’m not going to search through 50 apps when it’s just quicker to re-launch the apps. I bet this is stealing tons of memory.

I can go on but this reminds me of all the growing pains Android had in the early years. Now it feels like I’m going through it all over again. I’m pretty much stuck with my purchase and I hope Apple fixes these issues with iOS 7. I don’t want to give up on Apple just yet but so far it’s not a pain free start. Plus my wife would kill me if I walk into the house with a Note 3 and I don't want to play the wait and see game with updates.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

First off, it sounds like you should try to exchange the phone. If the sound isn't working that's a serious issue that you should try and get Apple to look at.

But even if you do get it exchanged, here's a few other answers.

iOS 7 was a very big update. I'd suggest holding off serious complaining until 7.1 comes out. I know, that's frustrating, but you jumped into the iOS ecosystem right during the biggest transition it's ever had. It's a little bumpy, hang in there.

Press the "All Versions" button.

That's not a task manager showing what's running. It's a history list, no different than your web-history in any browser.

So while a "clear all" button might be nice, it won't do what you're thinking since those apps are mostly not all running anyway.

3. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

Do you think the sound issue is hardware related? It feels like it's a software glitch. And this is my second unit because the first one had screen lift at the top right. This one is perfect.

4. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I dunno. I've never had a problem like that, which makes me think it's hardware. But then I don't own a 5S, so it could be something with software not playing well with that specific device. So I honestly can't say.

The one thing I'd check first is to slide a sewing needle or bent safety pin around in the headphone jack. I once had a piece of lint in there that tricked the phone into thinking the headphones were plugged in.

5. Mercenary macrumors 6502a

You don't need to close apps on an iPhone. What you think you know... Forget it. When an app is in the background it consumes nothing. Sure it takes up memory but who cares. If iOS needs more memory it will close apps for you.

The important thing with an iPhone is to just use it. Don't think about anything. Let the magic phone do its thing.

In regards to your other issues. It sounds like you have a duff phone. Get it replaced.

6. scotrinaf macrumors 6502

I left Android because I was tired of constant issues with having to reboot my phone due to applications like Netflix locking up, my first iPhone (just under 2 years ago) was an iPhone 4, then I moved to the 4S, now I am using the 5. I can honestly say I've never been happier with the performance of a phone. I do own a Google Nexus 7, 2nd Generation, running 4.3 Jellybean and I still have the app locking up issues... You may find there are a few bugs to work out with an iPhone, but nothing compared to Android...

7. Makaveliarts macrumors 6502

Get it replaced. Never had an iPhone give me nearly that much trouble.

8. KPOM macrumors G5

Issue 1 sounds like hardware to me since I've never experienced it on any of my iPhones. I've had the 5s since 9/21. Particularly since you've had crashes (Issues 3 and 5) I'd guess that you may have some bad RAM in your device. Remember that glitches are more likely early in the product production phase. It happened with the 5 as well (the "pre-scratched" units).

Issue 6 is a known glitch with the 5s. There's a 60+ page thread on it. The current thinking is that it is a firmware issue with the M7 since it affects only the 5s and not the 5c or earlier models. Maybe it will be fixed by 7.0.3 or 7.1. Issue 8 is a non-issue since iOS manages applications and memory a lot more efficiently than Android. Unless the phone is running hot (a sign of an errant app), there's no need to kill an application.

9. Fedmahn Kassad macrumors regular

I've been using iPhones since 2008 and have never had any of the issues you mentioned. Tell an Apple store employee all this and they'll give you a new phone. When you get that one, follow the instructions of the guy above: just use the magic phone. This is a different experience; you aren't supposed to worry about managing the phone, you're just supposed to use it.

10. Italianblend macrumors 68000

Italianblend

I also have some minor sound issues. Sometimes when going from a game to a text and coming back to the game, there will be no sound. I have to multitask out and back again to get the sound to play again. It's quirky.

11. predation macrumors 6502

12. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

Sounds like you got a dud. I would go get it replaced and then see how that works.

13. alent1234 macrumors 603

#8 - as someone who carries an iphone and a galaxy S3 daily, this is a killer ios feature. i can reboot or upgrade my phone and the apps are there in the state i left them in when i closed it. awesome.

they aren't really running in the background either

14. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

I would like to reload the OS from scratch before swapping out the device. I did run into some issues when updating from 7.0 to 7.2. I had one of those battery cases and was updating over the microusb port. It semi-bricked my phone but it finally took the update over the lightning port. I don’t mind losing my info so what’s the best method to fully reload from scratch. I really hate to take the device back without trying this first.

15. alent1234 macrumors 603

in itunes, choose to restore phone and then set up as new

your contacts should be in icloud. go to icloud.com to check

16. stu.h macrumors 65816

stu.h

You don't state which iPhone it is, although these issues shouldn't be happening.

Did you buy the iPhone 2nd hand?

----------

Sorry, I see you are using a 5.

17. cynics, Oct 15, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2013

cynics macrumors G3

Converted Android user not completely happy with the iPhone 5s.

His issue is he'll have 50+ apps open and skimming through them to find the right one is a pain so it's easier to close them all occasionally. Nothing to do with memory.

Edit: I noticed he did mention memory. My bad.

----------

OP if it helps you can multi finger swipe to close 3 at a time.

I too have dealt with plenty of Apple documented bugs with all forms of Apple products. It does "just work" just not all the time. However currently on my iPhone 4S I've been the most satisfied with iOS 7, minus some buggy apps that just need updating.

I'm dealing with a message bug that was in iOS 6. The solution is restoring as new. However that's to big of a pita for me but since you are new to an iPhone you may want to try that.

18. XboxMySocks macrumors 68020

XboxMySocks

You bet wrong.

The "All Running Applications" list is not as such.
    It's a list of all the recently used applications. Many of them may or may not actually be running. I'd bet at any given time only ~15% of those applications are actually running in the background.

If they are running in the background, closing the applications on the list will not do anything about that. They will continue to run. It doesn't affect memory or battery anywhere near as much as you think they do.

All trying to inform a new Android convert :)

19. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

Issue 1: I lose sound after a few days. There is nothing I can do but reboot the phone. It happened this morning in the NBC news app, 2 times in the Apple music app and 1 time on youtube. It happens immediately after playing sound. When I need sound again that’s when the issue pops up.
    Maybe apps need updating for the 5S and iOS7, hasn't happened on my music nor youtube and I use them both

Issue 2: Bluetooth magically turns on after turning it off.
    Prob is your finger when pulling up control center

Issue 3: I have unexplained crashes to the desktop when using Safari or Google chrome.
    no crashes here on safari nor puffin, what webpage is making yours crash?

Issue 4: Lag. Sometimes there’s a small amount of lag on the keyboard. Not every time but it’s very random. I thought every Apple device (including an iPhone 5s) was supposed to run circles around the competition. It’s not as bad as my other Android devices but the iPhone still has it.
    Yes, mine has some lags on safari sometimes, but that is because is fetching stuff from my computer also.

Issue 5: Yesterday when I was in the bathroom at work my wife tried to do a facetime session. So of course I ignored the call but she called again using traditional voice. So I rejected the call but when I went back to my internet browsing the phone became so unresponsive I had to reboot it. At the time I was praising how Apple was going to make a huge comeback next year. This was when I felt really bad about my purchase.
    Never has happened to me, maybe your phone doesn't like public toilets :p

Issue 6: My level is off (-2 max) but it’s not really a big deal. Everything works fine so I’m just going to wait.
    Prob your android phones had levels off, you just didn't check them

Issue 7: I like the Android store much better. The review system for apps is behind Google’s. It shows reviews for the most recent update and not the lifelong rating. It’s as if people are reviewing the update and not the entire app. That really does not help me if I’m new to iOS. And it’s very difficult trying to find apps you want.
    The app store app shows the current version in the reviews and you can also click and check lifetime, so IDK where are you looking at.

Issue 8: There should be a close all button when viewing all the running apps. I count 52 apps and even a reboot (after my sound went away) did not clear them. I’m not going to search through 50 apps when it’s just quicker to re-launch the apps. I bet this is stealing tons of memory.
    In iOS you DON'T need to close anything, that is the beauty of the OS.

20. cdmoore74 thread starter macrumors 68020

Thanks! I will try this first. I can understand that iOS 7 is new and that there are some bugs to work out. Just never used iOS 6 or below so to me it’s a new experience. But now my primary concern is the lost of audio. I tried to duplicate the sound loss issue during lunch and the phone was rock solid. It normally happens after a few days of use and I’m a heavy user. I’m also going to try a different music app like Pandora or my own music collection. I’ve seen the issue 2 times with that new Apple music app so maybe it’s causing the problem.
    I just hate to swap the phone out for every single issue if an OS restore or software update will fix it. And let’s say that the level/compass issue is hardware related; I would hate to swap it again. I don’t want to swap unless I absolutely know that it’s a hardware issue.

21. jr866gooner macrumors 65816

jr866gooner

I too spent 4 years with android. Don't get me wrong but I had a great time with it and it was the best os i had used. I'll never forget my first android experience after the mess that was Symbian. I don't know what I was thinking!!

Anyway iOS is the best I've had now! Love it! I have decided 100% I'm upgrading to an iPhone.

Currently have an iPhone 4 and had it for 4 months maybe, this was always a dipping of the toes in the iOS water!