Convex v. Concave

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by whiteshadoww, Aug 10, 2013.

1. whiteshadoww macrumors 6502

whiteshadoww

Any thoughts? Just symmetrically speaking seems odd to put the phones screen-side down and not have it lie flat.

2. jav6454 macrumors P6

jav6454

We had this debate when the iPhone 3G came out and the 1st Gen iPhone was around. So many apps that used the Accelerometer required flat a surface. Yet it was a concave plastic enclosure back then.

Functional, yet non-flat.

3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

It desn't make any sense to have it convex. If it were a biometric sensor, it would be very difficult to center a finger on it. It also exposes the button to damage - sapphire or not (things will get caught and do their best to pry it up or push on it sideways).

4. maxosx macrumors 68020

If convex, Apple is sure to have dreamed up a creative spin to convince their buyers they can't live without it.

5. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

I think this may just be idle speculation by Kuo. If anything, the home button may be flat, but I highly doubt it would be concave.

6. Defender2010 macrumors 68030

Defender2010

Well it is concave now! So why not?

7. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Sorry... convex :p

I'll blame that one on autocorrect... I think :eek:

8. daijholt macrumors 65816

daijholt

It seems to make more sense, since your finger will encompass it when you press down, but I do agree that it may just be speculation.

I'm no fingerprint expert though, so my assumptions might be way off technically.

9. mdags49 macrumors newbie

I just think there will be a lot more accidental Siri activations when the phone is in your pocket.

10. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Symmetrically? Seems like an odd basis to me. Wouldn't the home button (or any feature found on the front but not the back) be "odd symmetrically"?

11. chazcron macrumors member

chazcron

If it is convex, the button would never rise above the surface of the phone. It would have to start concave and curve around to a convex as in my depiction here. I would assume the square would not be present due to the sensor. Maybe an ourter glow ring?

[​IMG][​IMG]