Convince me to buy iPhone 5...Kinda confused..Need that push

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Dinh, Sep 17, 2012.

1. Dinh macrumors member

Dinh

Hi Guys

This is my first post on this forum , so apologies if this is the wrong section.

So here is my situation. I had used iPhone 4 for about an year and I've been using the Samsung Galaxy S3 for about 4-5 months now.
    (Got a gift from my Boyfriend :p )

Please don't ask me what I was using before iPhone 4 :p.
    Now the iPhone 5 has released and the hype is huge.
    I'm in dilemma if I should buy with iPhone 5 or keep using Galaxy S3.
    Now I'm not the kind who will go and buy iPhone 5 in launch day, and it'll be at least a month before I order my iPhone 5.

Here is why I'm confused:

Things I miss from iPhone 4 experience on the Galaxy S3:

1) The premium feel. The first thing when I have to use phone is to pick it up. And there was something about iPhone which I miss in S3.
    Now don't get me wrong, the GS3 is nice to hold too.
    Specially with it curved edges it is actually nice to hold.
    But I'm not sure what was it about iP4 , it just felt better in hand. Maybe it was the size or Weight :p.

2) The instant boot for deep sleep : The S3 takes about a second before waking up when you hit the hoe button. Grrrrr...It's so frustrating when you are used to waking up the device instantly. Step back.

3) iMessage: Although Watsapp is a nice alternative.

4) The app store. Google Play isn't bad, but I certainly feel App store was better.

However, If I plan to switch from S3 to iPhone 5, here are my biggest fear and here is why I'm confused.

1) I'm kinda used to the big screen. Took a day or two to adjust but now it feels perfect for YouTube videos.
    How will the 720p videos be on iPhone 5? Will it have black bars or borders or will it fill the entire screen.

2) Customization: I'm not sure how much can jailbroken iPhone does. Now here are few of the things I just loved in S3 :
    ->I just loved the fact that I can see the upcoming appointments right from the lockscreen without unlocking the phone. Is/will it (be) possible on JB iP5?
    ->Toggling almost all the settings right from notification bar. I assume it's not possible yet ?
    -> Having custom equalizer in Music app. Is it possible now?
    -> If I'm correct I can now share stuff to Twitter and Facebook?
    But can I share them to other apps? Or it's still limited

I kinda liked widgets and I love to decorate my Homescreen:p

3) LED Notifications: Never thought they would actually be useful .

4) Tasker: I'm not sure if there is an alternative for this app yet on App store.
    Basically this app can do unlimited cool stuff , as you program it.
    For example, using the cell id it automatically detects when I'm in office and home and turns on Wifi and turns off lockscreen off. As soon as I love office or home, it automatically turns on Mobile data if battery is more than 30%.

And there are many other cool tweaks this can do. Like It automatically turns on Brightness to 100% when I'm viewing Youtube.

Is there any app available yet?
    5) The amount of options in Camera app is crazy in GS3. I'm pretty sure iP5 only adds panoroma mode , but GS3 already have it. It has other stuffs also like burst mode and inbuilt filters.

Also, is siri any good? I've use the siri clone S-voice and it's of no practical usage to me. The google voice search is kinda better though.

Thanks for reading this.
    Will be waiting for your feedback.

2. PhoenixMac macrumors 65816

Don't buy it, problem solved. I would not base getting an iPhone 5 off of Jailbreak because it will be a WHILE before it is jailbroken.

3. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

Its like the $6,000,000 man.

It's better.

Stronger.

Faster.

What more do you need?

4. richpuer, Sep 17, 2012
    Last edited: Sep 17, 2012

richpuer macrumors 6502

its the greatest phone in the world ever made. PERIOD.

AAPL sells 23 phones per second compared to 30 bigmacs per second from MCD. the numbers speak for themselves.

u would be a complete and utter FOOL NOT to buy one..

do u want to be the only person in the world whodoesnt have one?

5. iregret macrumors 6502

The iPhone 5 can cure cancer. I'm getting my mom one.

6. Sheza macrumors 65816

Sheza

I think it would be a waste of money. Is everyone on here completely loaded or something? You have a top end phone, it deserves at least 12 months use.

7. richpuer macrumors 6502

there's an app for that

8. Joey51 macrumors newbie

Make up your own mind

This is funny-everything you have pointed out is a plus for the iPhone 5.
    You people kill me here that ask the forum to make life decisions they should be making and without hesitation.

Ex:should I order black or white?
    My credit card bounced while ordering.
    Tell me why I need it,or if I should order.
    The ups or FedEx person is not here yet with my new phone.
    Are you taking off of work or calling in sick to get your phone?

For goodness sakes,it is just a phone ,how do you people function in everyday life?

Then you complain when you get blasted-are you by chance BLONDE?lol

9. Hankster macrumors 68020

Hankster

If you need anonymous people online to convince you to purchase a new phone, then you don't need it.

10. Dextor143 macrumors 6502

+1

I have been getting sick with all these threads.

add more

Should I take **** on 20th and hold till 22nd so I wont miss the delivery?
    If I decided to take the ****, Should I walk while my pants are down or hold a bucket?

11. richpuer macrumors 6502

same kind of people that go online asking for relationship/dating advice

12. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

This is not a logical argument... Target sells more clothes than Hugo Boss so are Target's clothes superior in construction and quality? Is the OP going to be THE ONLY PERSON IN THE WORLD who doesn't have an iPhone (or iPhone 5)?

I understand thinking that the iPhone is great, and that people should buy it, but let's try to use logical reasoning....

13. blunti macrumors 6502a

+1

Those threads make me sick.

14. extraextra macrumors 68000

extraextra

To the OP. Wait till Friday to see the iPhone 5 in person and see how it works/looks. Jailbreaking won't be available for awhile so if that is your major selling point I would wait for some time.

15. Glockron macrumors member

Don't buy it. The phones are similar, and personally I'd rather have the Android - loads more customization options, I just feel Apple limits their handsets too much.

Don't get me wrong, the i5 is great :) Just the S3 is either just as great, or a little bit better ;)

16. nlkccom macrumors 6502a

If you need convincing, you don't need it. Don't buy it.

17. eldo33 macrumors regular

i love these kind of thread.. the one that people already had a good stuff like the S3 but get into the new iPhone hype and they want to be in it too or afraid of missing out or something.

CAn you afford it? Yes, then buy

Do you like it? Yes then BUY

For me - I have the 4s and i'm getting the iphone 5 cuz of the damn Voice Navi (its about time Apple) but I never really liked the 4s or any version PRIOR to that, except the first one which I had(yes the very first one), skipped the 3g and 3gs (bought for Mom and Wife) then had the iphone 4 from work for brief period and then got the i4s cuz of new family line contract.

Other than the speed, the phone has looked similar for the past 5 years..it's not much of a WOW factor like the very first one. You have to agreed that if Apple didn't come out with the iphone, NO OTHER companies could have come up with it.

18. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

Since nobody appears to be answering OP's questions, I'll give it a try:
    The iPhone 5 is a 16:9 screen, so it's proportionally smaller than the SIII's screen. That means no black bars on 720p video, they play full screen just like the SIII.
    The built-in Calendar app generally sends you a notification prior to an appointment. But without jailbreaking it doesn't stay. I don't know when a jailbreak will be possible with the iPhone 5, but when it is that app already exists.
    Not built in. Once a jailbreak is out that will be available, but who knows when that'll be.
    That's been in iOS for ages. Even your iPhone 4 probably had that setting in Settings -> Music -> EQ. You can make the equalizations in iTunes. There's no way to do it on the phone that I know of yet though.
    You are correct. You can share most things to Twitter and Facebook. Also, apps can pick which kinds of files they can open, and you can share like that. For example, you can pick which app to open an email attachment with. But it's still a lot more limited than Android's sharing.

Nope, nothing like that available yet.

There are a plethora of photo editing apps for the iPhone.

It's decent. The WolframAlpha integration is nice.

19. neesh0 macrumors 6502a

neesh0

The iPhone really has become a big money grab from apple, its the exact same thing with little to no innovation. I am happy with my iphone 4 and when it craps out I will probably end up going with an android to try something different.

20. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Don't buy it if you don't have an obvious need.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

If my phone had a "hoe" button i would be inclined to keep it :D

In all seriousness the biggest reason for me to use the iPhone is because of the apple ecosystem, and how well it integrates with all of my other apple devices.

Ask yourself what do you want your device to do and then it will make it much easier to decide what phone you want. As for Siri I think you can use it to tell you what is on your calendar for the day. And I hope someday you can use it to change setting on your phone.