Convince me to get an iPhone 5

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Kukulcan, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Kukulcan macrumors 6502

No, not convincing me to get an iPhone at all, Apple got me a long time ago and with all the apps bought as well as iTunes Match there will be no question. Sold my 4 already as long as I got some money for it.

iPhone 5 looks sexy, no question, but my gaming has totally shifted to iPad 3, so what do I need a shiny new CPU and slightly larger screen for? Never understood why people want to carry around rather large smartphones.

Will the new CPU increase the usability of other apps like turn by turn navigation? Any other non-gaming apps that will profit from the higher power? Any new features that won't work on older iPhones at all?

Or is it really mostly that, the new sexy slim unibody design? Not that that wouldn't be a reason to get one. But when I think reasonable, I haven't missed anything on my iPhone 4, not even Siri.

2. x-evil-x macrumors 68030

x-evil-x

apple will convince you in a week...

3. Big.Mac.Daddy macrumors 6502a

Do you need:
    - 4 inch screen?
    - LTE?
    - Faster internals?
    - Thinner design?

If you do then buy the iPhone 5. If you don't then don't.

4. Kukulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

Forgot about LTE, which could convince me, if it is in and if it will be available in germany.

5. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Obviously the OP already sold the iPhone 4 and plans to get the iPhone 5 so he's just making a statement rather than asking a question.

6. moosquared macrumors regular

moosquared

Because it's the new iPhone? :D

Of course common sense will say that if you don't need it, don't buy it. You can get other cheaper phones out there that will suit you just fine. And like you said, all your apple needs are met by the iPad 3. You just need people to convince you that you need one, so you can justify the purchase.

If you want it and you can afford it, go for it. See, I said want, not need.
    It's your money, you can do what you want with it :cool:

7. Blaine macrumors 6502a

Blaine

8. Kukulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

No, I probably just get a new iPhone 4 with fresh battery and warranty at a lower price I sold the old one for.

Of course I want the iPhone 5, I just hoped for some reasons why I would need it.

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

"this is the phone you're looking for"

Waves hand mysteriously in front of your face

10. newyorksole macrumors 68030

I hate these threads (but yes I'm still posting).

You should be able to convince YOURSELF. If you don't see a need for it after reading articles/watching videos then just don't get it.

You don't understand the need for the iPhone, but you still want to be convinced to get it? Ummm...

11. iamjose macrumors regular

no. -1

12. Kukulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

More like "I make you an offer you can't refuse" ... probably I will decide it based on what offer my provider makes me as a loyal customer.

13. 617aircav Suspended

Some of these threads are humorous and some are annoying.

14. CallOfDuty macrumors 6502

You already have an iPad. By going with an iPhone you can guarantee a seamless ecosystem. Apps bought on the iPad can be carried over to the iPhone. I find iCloud extremely useful for my daily use. Photos taken from my iPhone 4 is automatically on my iPad too.

I know you might be staying with the iPhone 4, but I strongly suggest you to purchase the new iPhone mainly not because of its new fangled features (I know you aren't really interested in that), but simply obsolescence. You can expect your iPhone 4 to maybe be obsolete by next year. We aren't even sure if the iPhone 4 is receiving the iOS 7 update. The 3GS got extremely lucky of course.

At least a 4S. I can guarantee another update in 2013 for the 4S with iOS 7. The 4S would be competitively priced one the iPhone 5 releases. You can upgrade your modest 4 to a decent and still great 4S.

Just because the 4 fulfils your needs does not meet theres no need to upgrade. So are you going to keep buying a fresh battery for your 4 5 years down the road? No. An upgrade is always better than having no upgrades. Soon, you might even start to appreciate the new features over time as you start using the new phone. That's why Apple always had tons of lines during a new product launch. Many just feel the need for an upgrade and get better and new features and THATS FINE (For you android fans -_-) if you have the $ of course!

So just get the iPhone 5 if you're stuck between getting it or not. You will not lose out.

15. Kukulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

Luckily we all have the option to read or post in threads. And actually there have already been helpful answers.

16. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

We may, but when OPs' have threads with misleading titles and idiotic premises, it only exasperates the situation and invites ridicule.

17. malias4 macrumors 6502

malias4

18. ThatsMeRight macrumors 68020

Yeah, and only when they have announced the device we'll know everything sour the new iPhone and the new iPhone's functionality.

19. AFDoc macrumors 68030

Exactly.
    I don't care if OP gets the new iPhone and think it's sad he comes onto a forum to ask people to "convince" him.

Fixed your quote for you!

Bingo

20. Dolorian macrumors 65816

Dolorian

21. applesith macrumors 68020

applesith

Why? Doesn't do anything for me or anyone else here to sell you on the new iPhone. I don understand these kinds of threads. Just need to rehash everything tat has already been discussed many times???

22. Kukulcan thread starter macrumors 6502

maybe you have discussed it all, but stuff like iOS 7 or maybe just the fixing of the death grip were points I didn't think of. I know the rumored feature list, but I clearly stated I am looking for reasons that are less obvious, like apps I didn't even think of that will be enhanced or even only possible on 5

23. cambookpro macrumors 603

cambookpro

Don't get one, please.
    All the more stock for me on launch day! :D

24. 725032 Guest

How are we supposed to convince you to buy a phone that hasnt even been released yet. The specs arent even known yet!

Come on OP... Try and be smart

25. likethesoup2 macrumors 6502a

Methinks we're WELL past that point . . .