Convincing Others - The Bias Jigsaw

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by belvdr, May 3, 2017.

1. belvdr macrumors 603

I just saw this. I'm not sure how new or accurate it is, but it makes a lot of sense as to why so many statements/facts can be stated, but people will continue their current line of thinking. It applies to any sort of bias.

Source: http://blog.ncase.me/jigsaw-puzzles/

jigsaw0001.png
    jigsaw0002-2.png
    jigsaw0003-1.png
    jigsaw0004.png

2. ibookg409 Suspended

ibookg409

People are blinded by their own bias. It take a special type of person to TRULY look at something is a purely objective way.

3. belvdr thread starter macrumors 603

We watched an episode of "Brain Games" last night and they were discussing how the brain likes to think that it is always right and understands everything.

I think that correlates well to that cartoon.

4. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

People develop beliefs and preferences. Once those are established, whatever the process, there is a desire to seek, gravitate to, and latch into confirmations of those beliefs. It's more difficult to reverse course.

This is why politicians frequently tell tall tales that appeal and provide confirmation of the preconceived notions of their base. This works great for gullible, low information citizens. A good example are this are the people who hated Obamacare, but loved the ACA. :rolleyes:

5. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Confirmation bias arises from psychological research. Don't trust it to be this massive influence everybody is making it out to be. FWIW I am a psychologist/neuroscientist.