Cook County Board votes to cut sales tax

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by leekohler, Dec 1, 2009.

1. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I know this is more local than anything, but hell yes! Our county board president has been way out of control for a long time. The alderman finally rolled back part of his tax increase. 10.25% was WAY to high for sales tax. Now- I am certainly not against taxes, but when NYC can run on what taxes they take in, there is no reason for the taxes we've been seeing here. This fool will be gone next election, but in the meantime, it's nice to see our elected officials working for us for a change.

http://newsblogs.chicagotribune.com/clout_st/2009/12/cook-county-showdown-on-stroger-tax-veto.html

2. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

3. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Now we'll be even with you. ;) :(

4. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

you know i was happy to hear this as well lee.

its crazy that with such a high tax rate, and all the other revenue the city garners, that we're still burning money. i wonder whose pockets are being lined?

5. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

10.25% sales tax? You've gotta be ****ing kidding me! And I presume you also have a state income tax?

Wow. I honestly did think it was high here (8.25%), but with no income tax it's almost tolerable. It really hurts when you buy something big-ticket, like a car.

6. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

So don't cut health care for the poor...cut something else. Parks, transit, whatever. 10.25% is pretty high.

7. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Exactly. There's obviously been something wrong for a very long time. I'm still waiting for Mr Fitzgerald to come get our mayor, like he did our governor. Hurry! We need you!

And even more stupid is when you consider NYC doesn't even have a sales tax on clothes. They manage to make things work.

There was a huge uproar when that happened, trust me.

8. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I think 10.25 includes the state tax. Lee mentioned the county portion was 1.75%.

9. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

yep we sure do have a state income tax as well. (somewhere along the lines of 3% i think? but i could be totally mis-remembering that)

the high sales tax is just one of the many reasons i'll be looking to live elsewhere than chicago when my lease is up.

10. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

That is correct. It's f***ing ridiculous. Somebody is obviously on the take somewhere.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I was gonna say that, but I figured I didn't know the local politics as well as you do. :D

12. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Oh completely. The mob still has a hand in running this town for sure. The didn't completely disappear after Prohibition.

13. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

That's nuts. You buy something and get charged more than a tenth AGAIN just for the privilege of doing so.

14. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We've been angry about it for a while. The Board finally did the right thing though. Now we just have to vote this moron out of office, which believe me is going to happen.

15. MrMoore macrumors 6502

Lower Sales Tax was one reason I moved to Lake County. Also not dealing with the kooks running Cook.

Maybe Palatine will now want to stay in Cook County ;)

16. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

Ha! Who knows? For me- I love the city. I could never leave a large urban area. I grew up in a rural area, and could never go back to that or a burb. Somebody has to stay here and try to fix things! :)

17. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

10%? God damn. We only pay 6.25% around here and I thought that was bad.

18. MrMoore macrumors 6502

I lived in Chicago all my life until three years ago. Loved the city and couldn't understand why people live in the "burbs". But two things that always bugged me: parking and traffic. Ugh! Since I worked in Lake County, it made sense to move here. I miss be able to walk to things, but overall it's nice.

Only drive into the city to see my friends for get togethers. No one want to drive out to the 'burbs. ;)

Maybe if Stroger and Daly go bye-bye, I'll come back.

19. leekohler thread starter macrumors G5

leekohler

We would love that. :) It's bad- not to mention gas taxes, liquor taxes, cigarette taxes, bottled water taxes (for real):eek:. I'm sorry- but where is all that money going?

We're working on getting rid of both!

20. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

even snack food taxes are now different than normal food purchases. things here are really spiraling out of control. i just heard that the state is raising the license plate registration fee next year to $100 from its current $80 (although perhaps the clerk was wrong as i can't find any more info on it), and you know that will just make Daley raise the cost of the city sticker prices. and who knows what he'll outsource next....

21. yojitani macrumors 68000

yojitani

22. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

sure isn't but it is better than nothing.

23. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

I'm not overly familiar with the US tax system, however we're paying 13% in federal and provincial sales tax in Ontario.

24. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I can never understand how states and cities can run out of money. Rather then waiting for the taxes to come in they estimate what the returns will be and spend before they ever get the money in their hands. Then they cry that they didn't raise enough in taxes to pay for the stuff they already bought so they just raise taxes some more. I would love to see the day that they don't spend the money until they actually know how much they will get.

25. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba