Cooke: Donald Trump won the presidential election – get over it!

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by lowendlinux, Dec 5, 2016.

1. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I never really start threads with only my opinion but after a month of the end of the world is neigh I figured I'd I search my personal echo chamber and this is what popped up.

http://www.mycentraljersey.com/stor...-won-presidential-election-get-over/93595708/

The end state is we're asked our opinion on the presidency every four years we gave it and now we have Donald Trump for better or worse. The election will be a month ago in three days it's time to get on board with the new guy or get out of the way. Both sides of the coin have reservations about the president elect but it really doesn't matter now because he's here and here to stay. In two years we'll be presented again with the opportunity to speak our mind and either restrain him or not but in the mean time all the crying and moaning won't do anything.

The benefit of the Trump election will be the coming to Jesus moments for both parties the dem's are having it right now the R's will be having it sometime next year when they decide whether Trump is how they define conservatism in the USA. Trump like all presidents are a flash in the pan, the figurehead with the bully pulpit, a reflection of how we're feeling at at the time of the election, presidents are easily replaced and power limited.

2. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

But he didn't win the popular vote. #hesnotmypresident :rolleyes:

I'm still waiting for all these jackass celebrities to start packing and heading out.

3. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

When has telling people to stop moaning ever stopped them from moaning?

4. lowendlinux thread starter Contributor

lowendlinux

Never

5. noteple macrumors 65816

noteple

We made it through 8 years of Obama.
    We can make it through Trump o_O

6. chabig macrumors 68040

1) There was no national popular vote. Fifty individual states held state-wide elections on the same day.
    2) The USA doesn't elect presidents based on any type of popular vote.

Are you a football fan? Did you know that the team who gains the most yardage doesn't always win the game? Points on the scoreboard are the metric for winning football, not yardage, first down conversions, or pass completions.

7. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

hasn't stopped Trump.

8. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

I was being sarcastic, hence then :rolleyes:. :rolleyes::p

9. TMRJIJ macrumors 68020

TMRJIJ

It actually does the opposite.

10. alexgowers macrumors 65816

...and you're the only democracy on earth that votes this way. The electoral college is an undemocratic system but it's never going to disappear there have been over 200 attempts to change it. Against such a despised and unpleasant candidate like Hillary, it's amazing he didn't come closer to getting the popular vote as well. Two rotten candidates out of millions of Americans goes to show just how corrupt the presidential system is. Both rich, both privileged and out of touch. It wouldn't have been a pretty 4 years either way.

11. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

+++++++++
    HE WILL NOT finish his first year....

12. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Sez you. :) A whole lot of this country didn't despise her or find her unpleasant. The right rails against the "mainstream media" for a lot of their unfair coverage and opinions on Trump, but Clinton got a lot of that as well...

Don't believe everything you read. ;)

13. tgara macrumors 6502a

tgara

FYI, we're not a democracy. The US is a representative republic of 50 individual states. The Electoral College system is built into the Constitution to prevent imperial rule by one or two populous states. In the recent election, California was a political outlier and gave Mrs. Clinton an approx. 2 million vote advantage in the popular vote, even though Mr. Trump won the only metric that mattered: collecting 270 electoral votes.

California was about 14 points more Democratic than the nation this year, versus 10 points in 2012, 9 points in 2008 and 6 points in 2004 and 2000. It's these extremes that the Electoral College is designed to temper. If California continues to occupy one extreme of the national political spectrum, there may well be more such splits — at least until the Democratic party figures it needs to make a case with more appeal beyond California if it wants to win 270 electoral votes.

14. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

Trump won.
    The finger-pointing commenced.
    Waiting for it to end.

15. Chew Toy McCoy macrumors regular

Chew Toy McCoy

I’m willing to bet the majority of “get over it” people are more about their party winning than who in their party actually won and would go as far as saying that is probably all that matters to 80% of voters from both sides. Truly sad and we pay for it no matter who wins. I can’t think of a president in recent history who actually delivered to the people that voted them in. In hindsight can anybody say “That’s exactly what I voted for”?

16. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

He's gonna have to do something pretty outlandish to get the Republican controlled congress to impeach him.

17. citizenzen macrumors 65816

It amazes me that people hope complaining will end at some point. It never ended for those who opposed Obama. This morning at 7:21 AM someone still thought it necessary to slam him with, "community organizer." And how long did birtherism last after the election?

So now that the shoe is on the other foot, you're going to just have to get used to what my side endured for the past eight years.

Buck up, little campers.

18. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Or until he number of electors is adjusted according to the states' populations (based indirectly on the number of their Congressional representatives). Not sure when that (determination of House representative numbers) next occurs.

19. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

20. jpietrzak8 macrumors 65816

jpietrzak8

Nah, Trump doesn't represent right or left. Trump only represents Trump. Whatever he does, good or ill, will reflect almost nothing on either side; both will (falsely) claim credit for anything good that happens, and both will deny association with him whenever anything bad happens.

This is one interesting aspect of how Trump runs businesses; he may respect loyalty himself, but he does not inspire it. The presidency is, as yet, not nearly as autocratic a position as is owning a business. This will be fine so long as he manages to maintain a successful term in office; but, if anything starts to go wrong, I think he'll be surprised just how quickly people on both the right and the left will be to throw him under the bus.

This man has made no effort to create a deep base of support, either in one of the political parties, or in the public at large. He's more-or-less destroyed any and all trust with the "elites" of both parties; they're not going to back him up when the going gets tough. And he's promised the sun and the moon to the joyous crowds at his rallies; just watch what happens with those folks when he starts failing to deliver on his many, many promises...

21. Rhonindk macrumors 68020

Rhonindk

There is chronic complaining and there is opportunistic/rude complaining.
    I fully expect the opportunistic / rude complaining to continue just like it has for decades.
    It is the chronic or dishonest complainer I expect will die down over the next few months. Those are the ones I am looking to "die off".

22. citizenzen, Dec 12, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 12, 2016

citizenzen macrumors 65816

Interesting.

What makes them dishonest? And your using the word "chronic" (persisting for a long time or constantly recurring) would seem to contradict your hope of it endng soon.

But it is interesting how you categorized complainers in ways that I haven't thought of before. PRSI members aren't merely chronic complainers. In our case, it's terminal.

23. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Agreed.

In the case of the truly deplorable Mr Trump, I suspect that the complaints will continue long after he has left office, whether or not this has come about by his own volition.

24. blackfox macrumors 65816

blackfox

I'm over Trump winning the Presidency insofar as I respect the Political process and agree that he won accordingly. I'm not over Trump winning the Presidency in terms of what that might entail for the next four (or more) years. Perhaps I'll be surprised, perhaps I won't - but "moaning" can sometimes be phrased as part of a larger discussion among peers which is essential to Democracy. I'm taking the high road - but it's not necessarily quiet along the way.

25. Night Spring macrumors G5

Night Spring

Problem is, when he finds he can't keep his promises, he will find others to blame. If he can sell that to his supporters, well... things could get ugly quick.