Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Fender2112

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 11, 2002
Charlotte, NC
I've been folding for a while and never had much to get excited about. Until now. When I got to my office this morning I noticed a cool pattern folding on my screen. It may not amount to much. But it is the first time that I've seen one that looked like something. Anyhow, enjoy the pictures.

Attachments

• Pic3.JPG
    Pic3.JPG
    21.1 KB · Views: 168

BakedBeans

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2004
What's Your Favorite Posish
Fender2112 said:
I've been folding for a while and never had much to get excited about. Until now. When I got to my office this morning I noticed a cool pattern folding on my screen. It may not amount to much. But it is the first time that I've seen one that looked like something. Anyhow, enjoy the pictures.

glad your getting excited...everyone is getting into it now, nice..

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
I thought about getting into this "Folding" thing. What do I have to do to get started? Just download a program and let it run all day on my computer? Any useful sites you can direct me to?

.narco

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Here's the site for download: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html

If you have a G5, you would get more processing (thus more points :) ) if you run the terminal version twice (from two different folders). I wrote an applescript (my first one I might add) that makes the whole process of going through terminal, a little quicker. If anyone wants, here's the script (based on where MY folding folders are):

tell application "Terminal"
do script with command "cd ~/Documents/Folding/Folding1" in window 1
do script with command "cd ~/Documents/Folding/Folding2" in window 2
do script "./fah4 -local" in window 1
do script "./fah4 -local" in window 2​
end tell

If anyone can see any problems with my script, please let me know. Have fun! :)

TDM21

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
I tried folding for a day, but had to quit. Folding and 12" PBs do not get along. When the temp reaches 60 degrees Celcius then you know its time to quit.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
OK, I use my G5 for work, so if I run this in the background will there be a noticeable difference in performance? Also, does this make my internet slower?

.narco

NusuniAdmin

macrumors 6502a
Nov 19, 2003
narco said:
OK, I use my G5 for work, so if I run this in the background will there be a noticeable difference in performance? Also, does this make my internet slower?

.narco

it uses idle processor power to fold. So no.

narco

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2003
California.
Rower_CPU said:
narco-

We've got an entire FAQ to cover most of the questions you've already asked, and some you might be thinking soon.

Check it out: F@H FAQ :)

Ooh, nice! Already downloaded the program and it's running as we speak :)

I have a dual 2ghs G5 and I never, EVER shut it down, so I hope my contribution helps!

.narco

CoffeeMonkey

macrumors regular
Feb 23, 2003
two-processor folding

Just to be sure that I understand this:

You create two folding folders, put a copy of the contents of the dmg file into each, and then run one from each terminal window?

How is this different from the mc68k folding app?

Blackheart said:
Here's the site for download: http://www.stanford.edu/group/pandegroup/folding/download.html

If you have a G5, you would get more processing (thus more points :) ) if you run the terminal version twice (from two different folders). I wrote an applescript (my first one I might add) that makes the whole process of going through terminal, a little quicker. If anyone wants, here's the script (based on where MY folding folders are):

tell application "Terminal"
do script with command "cd ~/Documents/Folding/Folding1" in window 1
do script with command "cd ~/Documents/Folding/Folding2" in window 2
do script "./fah4 -local" in window 1
do script "./fah4 -local" in window 2​
end tell

If anyone can see any problems with my script, please let me know. Have fun! :)

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Blackheart said:

If you have a G5, you would get more processing (thus more points :) ) if you run the terminal version twice (from two different folders). I wrote an applescript (my first one I might add) that makes the whole process of going through terminal, a little quicker.

Blackheart, there is a little app/script from mc68k that does exactly the same you might want to check it out. There is a link in the folding FAQ thread to it. It also supports dual proc macs!

Blackheart

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2004
Seattle
Dreadnought said:
Blackheart, there is a little app/script from mc68k that does exactly the same you might want to check it out. There is a link in the folding FAQ thread to it. It also supports dual proc macs!

Oh neat-o, wish I had known earlier. Oh well, had some script learning and such anyway. Since I already have my script set up and such, will I gain anything by using mc68k instead of my current situation?

Thanks

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
Blackheart said:
Oh neat-o, wish I had known earlier. Oh well, had some script learning and such anyway. Since I already have my script set up and such, will I gain anything by using mc68k instead of my current situation?

Thanks

Probably not. There is also an app from one of our other members who made that script with a nice looking shell. So you don't have the terminal to deal with but a nice metal looking app. Forgot who made it ( was that you MacVlade??)... But if he sees this, he will respond! Therefore, i never hurts to make your own scripts and see them work! BTW, look at your stat from time to time, if you notice that your dual isn't producing more then 200 points a day, then there is something wrong, probably with your script or the setup. Then it could be wise to take the script of mc68k. Does the following commands also work in the terminal with your scrpt: pause, work, rid, etc. like mc68k script does (read the "read me" first of mc68k's script before trying these commands!!!)

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
So how would I set up a dual 1.8 Ghz G5 to fold to its maximum power? Would installing mc68k's dual processor script twice do it?

wdlove

macrumors P6
Oct 20, 2002
Thank you narco and thecow. Your contributions should be awesome with a G5.

I get excited with my assistance with research, helping Macrumors, and see my points increase.

kilpajr

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2004
Auburn, AL
Fender2112 said:

Cool, does this mean snow cures "Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's disease"? :p

Dreadnought

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Almere, The Netherlands
kilpajr said:
Cool, does this mean snow cures "Alzheimer's, Mad Cow (BSE), CJD, ALS, Huntington's, and Parkinson's disease"? :p

You are probably not a folder? Everything around us is built up like those patterns, even you! It might looks like snow, and yes this could well be the cure for a lot of diseases and the bases for new medical/scientific technologies. Why don't you try folding, maybe you like all the "snow" on your screen! ;)

kilpajr

macrumors regular
Aug 24, 2004
Auburn, AL
Dreadnought said:
You are probably not a folder? Everything around us is built up like those patterns, even you! It might looks like snow, and yes this could well be the cure for a lot of diseases and the bases for new medical/scientific technologies. Why don't you try folding, maybe you like all the "snow" on your screen! ;)

I hope you don't think I am really that stupid. You are right, I am not a folder. I would be too worried about heat problems if I ran this on my PB. Is this really a problem? Also, could you configure the client to use, say, 50% of the processor instead of 100%? Anyway, that's just the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.