Cool Touch ID and Siri trick

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jabingla2810, Oct 4, 2013.

1. jabingla2810 macrumors 68020

I use Siri to open apps from the lock screen quite often.

With Touch ID this only works if you hold down the home button with a registered finger.

Really slick and nice feature. At first I thought it was a bug that allowed Siri to bypass the lock screen.

2. Lukkee24 macrumors 6502a

3. WilliamG macrumors 604

Questionable privacy issue?

I've noticed that even if your phone is locked, you can ask Siri to open an app you have on your phone. For example, I can hold down the home button, and say to Siri, "Open Messages," and sure enough she'll do that (and as mentioned, it will open immediately if you use a registered fingerprint)

However, if you try to open an app that DOESN'T exist, Siri will tell you - even if your phone is locked/you use the wrong finger, "You don't seem to have an app named "X" "

So that means that if somebody grabs your phone, even if it's locked and secured by Touch ID and/or passcode, they can tell if you have any questionable apps etc on your phone by simply asking the phone to open it. If you do, it will ask for a passcode/fingerprint, and if you don't, Siri will just tell you there's no such app.

4. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

If your phone is locked, she'll say you need to unlock it first before she can do that.

5. Thierry ba macrumors 6502a

wow what a cool trick.
    :rolleyes:

6. WilliamG macrumors 604

Please read the post again. Maybe you're not understanding what I'm saying. I was maybe not 100% clear. Of course Siri won't open the app unless you use a registered fingerprint/passcode, but she WILL let you know if the app even exists, either way!

7. Tyler23 macrumors 603

Tyler23

I guess the workaround is don't have questionable apps on your phone..

8. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

No. Just disable Siri from launching on the lock screen in settings. People using Touch ID no longer needs to enable that. If we want to enter the home screen, we press the home button and let the button come back up while keeping the finger on the button. If we want Siri, we just press the home button and make it stay down. So it is one smooth motion for the owner of the phone either way. Another person (or finger) would not be able to bring up Siri at all if it is disabled for the lock screen in settings.

9. takeshi74 macrumors 601

Not if you disable Siri under Settings->General->Passcode & Fingerprint->Allow Access When Locked. With the toggle off, Siri is only accessible from the lock screen with a registered fingerprint as stated above.

10. WilliamG macrumors 604

Useful to know. I imagine most people simply won't know that. Heck, I didn't. I kind of feel this should be that way by default, but doubtless Apple has its reasons...

11. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

So what's your point? There are no 'questionable' apps in the app store that would make people cringe?

12. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

Cool Touch ID and Siri trick

He doesn't want people to find the sex positions and Victoria's Secret apps on his phone.

But the matter can be turned on or off by a setting anyway, so no problem.

13. powerstrokin macrumors 6502a

powerstrokin

...don't let other people use your phone if you're that worried about them knowing what apps you have.

Is this level of paranoia seriously a thing?? Seek help, guy.

14. WilliamG macrumors 604

It doesn't bother me, at all. I have nothing to hide in any case. I just found it interesting. That was my point. Just because you don't doesn't make it an invalid point. :)

15. cynics macrumors G3

Interesting. I'm sitting around with few people and by using Siri I figured out what bank and credit card most of them use just by asking to open common knowledge apps. "Open discover app...".

I don't have the criminal mind to figure out how to use that information but I'm sure there is something.

16. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

If the phone is unlocked you can go in and open the apps yourself anyway. If the phone is locked they can just disable siri on the lock screen. Nothing wrong with the system but it's a matter of what people choose.

17. noobinator macrumors 601

My cool 'touch id' trick:

I had been clicking the home button and releasing and leaving my finger on the sensor to unlock.

Now I simply press the button down and just hold it down ever so briefly. Longer than a simple click but not long enough to activate Siri. If you do this correctly it unlocks the phone in one simple motion.

I have been doing it for 2 days now and have it down so it works but never activates Siri.

18. paulcdb macrumors regular

I think it's more likely it's the Gridr app... but hey, if they know about it then maybe you'll be in luck ;)

19. gentlefury macrumors 68030

I thought it was a bug too until I realized it was touch id. Lol.