Cooling effect of Active Cooler/Chill Mats and the Passive Stands

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by brosenz, Jun 27, 2015.

1. brosenz macrumors regular

brosenz

I would like to understand what is the real benefit of using one of those Active Cooler Mats or Chill Mats with Fans, are they really effective lower the operating temperature of the MacBook Pro 15"?

The other questions is related to the Passive Stands that raise the laptop a little bit to allow air to flow, specially on the back, are they effective? probably not as effective as an active cooler mat with fans, but they are more elegant and quieter.

What's your real experience, are any of those effective in lowering the temperature? even if it's just a little bit, thanks

2. Ovedius macrumors 6502

Ovedius

3. Dark Void macrumors 68030

Dark Void

Hello,

Short answer: no, but it doesn't hurt.

You won't see any sort of significant improvements in cooling with a standard notebook cooler. Five degrees or so - if that - in major areas depending on how the fans are placed and what RPM they're spinning at. In most cases I would argue that the sheer noise isn't worth what it provides.

As far as stands - as long as you're on a flat surface it won't make a difference in terms of cooling if the notebook is on that surface or raised 10 inches off of it.

I hope this helps.