Cooling pad for those who actually use MBP on lap. Is this the best on the market?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by analytical44, Jun 25, 2009.

1. analytical44 macrumors regular

What do ya'll think? It's the Nexus TDD-9000.

http://www.nexustek.nl/NXS-TDD-9000_universal_patented_liquid_cooling_pad.htm

I'm looking for something that I can use on my lap when sitting on the sofa or laying in bed. Most of the cooling pads I've come across while searching for the perfect fit are not really designed to be used on the lap. I'm not even sure if this is on the market yet as I cannot find any reviews but it looks like it'll suit my needs.

Does anyone have anything similar to this (i.e. a Chillpak)? How well do they work? Any other suggestions are certainly welcome. Thanks for the help.

Attached Files:

2. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

3. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

I find it really ridiculous that this product even has to exist. I just can't find it in me to keep silent on this issue. Apple design their products with parameters so you can't use it without ugly cooling plates or extra thirdparty cooling software. You have a big market with plattform stands to place your macbook on. And the plattform is said to be recommended by us users. Why is it needed?

What does it take to realize that this is as far as the design goes. Intel faced facts with the megahertz myth isn't it time for Apple users to face the design fact that a cooking computer needs a fan that works.

Sorry for my rant.

4. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

I know of plenty of PC laptops that run just as hot. Weak argument.

5. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

This is not a platform argument or rant. It's a design rant but that just show the hardwired thing about us Apple users. We can not ever give feedback to forum members or Apple if it's negative feedback. If we do then it's within parameters or total silence with a fix in next product series.

6. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

I think you both make a valid point. From my experience with PC laptops, they do often run hot as well. That however does not excuse Apple. Notebooks (known by most consumers as laptops) should be able to be used comfortably on users laps; especially ones such as the 13" MBP which is designed for portability.

Frosties, I think you make an excellent point regarding the general intolerance of many Mac users (at least many on this forum) in regards to negative feedback towards Apple products. While I tend to find Apple products a cut above the rest, they still have their flaws. So many Mac users are blinded by the Apple "aura" of superiority and refuse to admit that Apple can do wrong, make a mistake, or needs to make improvements. It really is quite sad as I feel the lack of objectivity plagues not only Mac users but society as a whole. You can love many features of something and still admit that it can use some improvements in certain areas. I'm not sure why objectivity seems to be so difficult for so many of us but I genuinely feel sympathy for those of you who blindly follow without questioning anything. Critical thinking is one of the most valuable tools we have as a species. Please, always question, always challange, always think for yourself.

Now, would anyone mind offering some advice on my cooling pad? :p

7. Frosties macrumors 6502a

Frosties

From reading your link the cooling pad seems to work on the same principle as the gel packs for heating hands. I am just guessing how it works as it is not clear from the text. But they state "We advise to shake the pad every 20 minutes when you are working to re-boost the cooling power." I think you have to wait for someone that has tested it. But why not. New products come all the time some are good some are not.

8. LowMach macrumors member

i never had to even consider a product like this until i started using mac laptops:linky to thermal pad thingy

i was using a small piece of wood and then i saw this in fry's for $19.

i cuts the hit form getting to my body. i wouldn't say it helps cool these fire starters though. the only negative thing i can say is that its a very slippery surface. i use it all the time.

has anyone removed the heat sinks and applied new thermal paste yet like arctic silver?

9. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the link. Does the pad fall between your legs when on your lap or is it firm enough that it stays flat across? Also, what are you doing when your computer gets "fire starter" hot?

10. spaceboots06 macrumors 6502a

spaceboots06

I'll be honest, that thing looks as ugly as sin! Well, they all do...

My 13" MBP does get really hot at times but it never really made me consider getting a cooling pad. It does get really hot though...

11. xrayz macrumors member

i use a similar looking product called the Lapinator - its great, fits the macbook well and stabilizes it.

www.lapinator.com

12. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Ahh, this look nice. How's the anti slide surface? Which model computer do you have? Does it grip well? This really seems perfect, thanks for the suggestion :)

13. wywern209 macrumors 65832

wywern209

hmm, what if there was a product w/ some sort of cool gas moving around like dry ice or something and it would cool the metal surface of the macbook , thus cooling the inside slowly. Or, if apple gets around to applying those notebook water cooling patents it sent to the patent office a while back.

14. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

15. xrayz macrumors member

my 13" mbp fits on the smaller one. I think the 15" would probably be a little bigger than the footprint of that one, so you could go up to the plus - but you might rather have the smaller one if you primarily use it on your lap to keep it compact. the surface is not really grippy, but I've never had it fall off.

16. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm sorry, I should have looked at your tag before I asked. I'm planning on a 13" mbp as well so I think I would go with the one you have if you say it fits well.

17. DAAAAAAAVE macrumors regular

DAAAAAAAVE

18. Lone Deranger macrumors 65816

Lone Deranger

Or just save your hard earned cash on these useless things and grab the nearest hardcover book from your book shelf. Make sure it's of MBP size and you're golden. Works a treat! :cool:

19. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

I use this Macbook Pro as a cooling pad for my 13" Macbook Pro. I mean, it was a little pricey, but it works well.:D

[​IMG]

20. mikes70mustang macrumors 68000

mikes70mustang

Its needed b/c of apple and other people who ask "when will it be thinner?" If everyone didnt have such a boner for having a 1/4" notebook this problem wouldnt be here. You do know that a laptop can be light and thick too. Its all about materials. But the thin design means that macs cool alot through the body.

21. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

Looks better than the rest but how well do you think it'll be function wise? Looks like both the pad and the laptop could move around easily. Anyone have a first hand account?

@Lone Deranger: lol i suppose that would be the most economical way to go, I've got plenty of text books laying around.

22. analytical44 thread starter macrumors regular

So a product like the Speck See Through Satin also serves as a lap protector?

23. LowMach macrumors member

it doesn't fold easily, but its not stiff like a board either. the bottom side(on lap) is a clothe material and stays put where ever it lands.

i use smc fan control and have my min fan speed at 4k. I still do not hear the fan. only time i have sen +80c heat is when i run fusion with win7. the mac never exceeds 48c while watching movies or surfing the web. Even at those heats i still like to use the pad to keep the heat off me.

-cheers

24. LowMach macrumors member

so true i have done this as well. even a thick magazine will do the trick of blocking the heat.