Cop arrests on-duty Firefighter for doing his job

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by SoAnyway, Feb 6, 2014.

1. SoAnyway macrumors 6502

Here's a video of a highway patrol officer slapping handcuffs on an on-duty firefighter in the middle of doing his job at the scene of an accident.

So it's come down to this. The police state has run such a muck in our country that on-duty first responders are being arrested because the state sanctioned thug with a gun and badge decides to have an ego trip at a scene of an accident where people's lives are at stake.

2. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

I have a bother who is police defective and he stated one time I should be afraid of the "ego trippers" (as he calls them) and some are worst than Dudley Do-Right. In one exchange he spoke about those kind of co-workers are really made fun of in the locker room and desks.

3. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

4. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Some police are just total morons. Shouldn't firefighters have authority over police when it comes to a scene of an accident? I'm not exactly sure about this, but I think doctors do with their patients.

5. Gav2k, Feb 7, 2014
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2014

Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Completely understand the firefighters reason to park in that way, here in the uk that would be classed as standard practice.

However u guys miss out on what Jeremy clarkson likes to call wombles. Basically the uk's motorway traffic officers. They do need arresting. They will happily close 5 lanes down to 1 for a car in the breakdown lane with a flat tire!

6. TheHateMachine macrumors 6502a

TheHateMachine

In 2008 the same thing happened... in the end the cop was fined $18,000 after the firefighter brought down a lawsuit in the federal court.

I would provide a link but all the news sites that link have 404'd.

7. Arran macrumors 68040

Arran

Competitive society gone wild.

The cop should've offered to help, instead he has to win!

8. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The highway patrol officer was just doing what he was trained to do.

Unfortunately.

9. vrDrew macrumors 65816

It seems to me that there should be a State or Federal law that stipulates which agency has ultimate authority in this sort of situation: If the crash was a crime scene (ie. suspected drunk driving, reckless driving, etc.) then the senior law-enforcement officer has ultimate authority to order vehicles moved, etc. If the scene was a purely medical/evacuation/public safety - then the law enforcement officers should defer to the senior Fiefighter/EMT.

This doesn't make the CHP (or indeed any law enforcement agency) look good. I'm sure the police may have had some rationale for asking the fire truck to be moved. But that shouldn't trump medical and/or rescue safety concerns without a very good reason.

10. anonymouslurker macrumors regular

The CHP is the problem in this case.

This has been all over the news here for the last few days. All of the local police departments have good working relationships with the local fire departments, but for whatever reason, CHP actually has a policy on the books about clearing the lanes.

Normally it isn't enforced so vehemently.

11. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

The cop has all the rights to be angry for a vehicle parked in such a way to assure protection to victims of a crash and to their rescuers.
    :eek:

12. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Heaven forbid that rescue vehicles would block traffic and prevent people from driving by ... goose-necking and blocking traffic. The commuter culture gone wild....

Let us hope that cal, head prevail and that legislators make it crystalline clear that rescue workers and their patients must have the highest priority at the scene of an accident. Remember 9/11.

13. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Firetrucks do that here all the time too, sometimes at the behest of the police, to protect their ass during the rescue/investigation.

This cop needs 6 months of desk duty.

14. edk99 macrumors 6502a

Wow! Sounds like CHP and the local fire departments need to get on the same page for traffic management during an emergency.

----------

WHY legislation? Why don't these agencies get together and come up with common guidelines for traffic management. You don't need legislation to accomplish that.

15. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

From what I've been reading, it's actually standard practice for firefighters here to park their truck in a way that makes a barricade between traffic and the scene of an accident.

Apparently, the firefighters did arrive first in this particular accident and created the barricade. I'm guessing this particular cop wasn't happy that the firefighters went over his head and did his job for him, hence, the ego trip.

Training that needs to be changed. The mentality that cops are the kings of our streets has to go, otherwise, how is the public ever going to trust those who swear to protect us again?

Gone are the days where cops are also members of the community.

The cop has a right to be angry, what?

They apparently all ready had an understanding because what the firefighters did is standard practice.

What happened here is, more than likely, the cop beating his chest and trying to show the firefighters who's boss.

While all this was happening, the crash victims needed the attention of the firefighter that the cop arrested.

16. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

If that is the case, the cop should at the very least be on probation after this.

17. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

Past experiences will tell us that cops seem to get away with anything so I'm not expecting any disciplinary action taken against him.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

I think these cases are excellent examples to bring up to anyone who denies the united states has become a police state.

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Did he actually ask him for his 'papers please'?? :eek:

Oh ..... right ..... forgot about 'license and registration please'.

The ol' fishing expedition.

20. G51989 macrumors 68030

G51989

Fixed for you

The vast majority of American police are nothing more than people on a small scale power trip.

21. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Although unconfirmed, what I heard the problem was that there were several pieces of fire equipment parked on the opposite side of the freeway blocking the number one lane. The firefighters then jumped the jersey wall. Posing a threat to traffic traveling in the opposite direction they were asked to move. Two trucks did but the third engineer refused.

Management of an accident scene falls to law enforcement while patient treatment inside the scene obviously goes to certified health providers.

We had a good cooperative relationship with FF's.

22. nateo200 macrumors 68030

nateo200

This is true. One thing that is also true is that both LE Officers and Firefighters know just how dangerous the roads can be, the amount of LE Officers killed just from traffic stops alone is crazy! Here in NY State there have been a few officers killed by getting hit even when they provided them selves ample room to approach a vehicle, for that reason my local PD emphasizes making sure officers have room on traffic stops and not hesitating with that...I would think even MORE room would be nice when there is a car accident with multiple EMT's, firefighers, Paramedic's, and LEO's roaming about. People can wait a little to get where they are going, its not as if every driver is in a life or death situation.

But one last thing, not all cops are like this. You simply cannot make a blanket statement like that. I know some very very good hearted cops, cops that would personally take a bullet for you. I find that state level and federal level officers/agents sometimes do go on power trips but that local/county level LE Officers are very nice. I have friends in the State police and fed. government though that are very nice as well so it doesn't always apply that they are dicks.

23. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

When I lived in Virginia i noticed for normal small normal speeding trips on highways virginia Troopers would instruct people to the next exit to write them the ticket.

No back in NYS I seen this to when the highways busy. So maybe CHP is getting angry at Fireman because the water the fireman have access to with the century drought issue in the US West.

24. carjakester macrumors 68020

carjakester

ive had cops sit in the middle of the street blocking it off until i had to honk to get them to move. ridiculous.

25. SoAnyway thread starter macrumors 6502

Can you expect anything good from people who act like they're kings of the streets?