Cop fired for flying the confederate flag, sues police department

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by kobalap, Dec 18, 2016.

1. kobalap macrumors 6502

2. 0007776 Suspended

Would an officer of German descent get in trouble if he chose to display his pride in his German heritage by flying a Nazi flag at his house?

On the one hand I think those people should have their right to free speech on their own time respected. But in the other hand having an officer that openly advertises their racism is going to open the police department up to major lawsuits if that officer is ever involved in a questionable incident with a minority.

3. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

What are they going to do, fire every cop who could potentially cause them to get sued?

Until someone does something either against the law or against policy, is it fair to fire that person? If she flew a rainbow flag on her own time and got fired, what would you say then?

4. 0007776 Suspended

Rainbow flags haven't been associated with hate groups.

5. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

Wonder what trumps stance will be on it?

As for the news story itself. Good on them for getting rid!

6. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

So the first amendment allows me to burn a the American flag but doesn't allow me to fly the Confederate flag?

7. 0007776 Suspended

It does, you are welcome to advertise your racism. Just don't be surprised if your employer doesn't like it. I'm sure if a cop got caught burning an American flag they would likely be fired too.

The first amendment prevents the government from punishing you for speech, it doesn't protect you from people not wanting to be associated with you because of that speech even if they are your employer. The fact that this case was a police officer puts it on the line since it could be seen as the government punishing her for her speech, but I think the precident is already there that you can be terminated for doing inappropriate things while off duty.

8. kobalap thread starter macrumors 6502

The police department is not just an employer. It is also a government agency.

Besides, are police departments only going to hire non-Republicans? That in itself is discriminatory.

9. Snoopy4 macrumors 6502a

Snoopy4

Because the use of Nazi symbolism is actually against the law in Germany.

10. 0007776 Suspended

This thread is talking about the US though.

11. MarkusL macrumors 6502

Everyone who does not fly a Confederate flag is a non-Republican now? I guess the Republican self-image has shifted more than I knew...

12. 0007776 Suspended

There are plenty of Republicans out there that either aren't racists or at least don't advertise it by flying flags that are tied to racist movements.

13. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

If the US police service would do proper screening as to whom is suitable for such a job, anybody even thinking about flying such a flag ( and supporting the ideology behind it) wouldn't be hired on grounds of mental instability.

14. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

So people who don't agree with your political views are mentally unstable?

15. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

People who think that the Confederate States of America are/were something to be proud of are unsuitable for police work.

16. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

Ok, but she was hired 20 years ago, at a time when the flag in question was on Georgia's state flag.

17. juanm macrumors 65816

juanm

I'm guessing yes. Relevant:[​IMG]

18. shinji macrumors 65816

shinji

No, but your original point was that she shouldn't have been hired in the first place. Hard to disqualify someone for their thoughts on the Confederate flag when it's on the flag of their own state.

19. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

Actually flying that flag is just a symptom for a mindset that should have disqualified her for police in any give time and age.....

20. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

What mindset are you referring to, the Rebel mindset, the states rights mindset, the mindset to honor our dead fellow southerners, or the mindset that we owned our property?

21. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

Ummm wait. The policeman's employer is not some private corporation that makes up its own rules and private regulations.

It's a Government agency. And because it's a government agency…. it should adhere to the standards, and uphold the Constitutional principles of the government (Federal, State, or both). One of those principles is the right of freedom of speech/expression.

I'd be totally ok with this situation (the employer firing an employee for displaying a Confed flag) if it was some private corporation that had its own "rules against hate speech", for example a techno-progressive company like Apple or Facebook. If you work for the Company, then you abide by the rules of the Company. If you break the rules of the Company, the Company is allowed to discipline you as agreed in your hiring contract.

22. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

In a lot of states in the south, an employer doesn't need to give cause to fire an employee.

23. DearthnVader macrumors 6502a

DearthnVader

I like where this is going, if government can fire someone because of their political views, then every incoming administration can fire all the last parties bureaucrats and replace them with their own.

24. R.Perez, Dec 19, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 19, 2016

R.Perez macrumors 6502

R.Perez

Keep digging.

Perhaps cops with swastikas are okay too?

25. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

We hold people in uniform to a higher standard.

IMHO this was an excuse to fire someone that was probably a problem.