"Cop Shoots and Kills Unarmed Deaf, Mute Man as He Tries to Communicate Using Sign Language"

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by thermodynamic, Aug 22, 2016.

1. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

2. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

White privilege? I see what you did there. If all the unarmed men that police shoot aren't black, then race isn't a factor in any of them. Right?

:rolleyes:

3. richwoodrocket macrumors 68020

richwoodrocket

Am I the only one that thinks this guy shouldnt have been driving?...

4. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

For an unknown reason, Harris did not stop and, instead, drove to his home. During the pursuit, both cars became damaged and eventually came to a stop near Harris’ home. According to police, detectives say Saunders and Harris got into “an encounter” before the officer killed him.

Not much to say given we don't have much information, but the above is good start. I'm pretty sure even a deaf/mute guy would know that running from the police and engaging in a demolition derby with them on the pursuit and eventually in an "encounter" isn't likely going to end well.

5. WarHeadz macrumors 6502a

WarHeadz

Yes, you are.

6. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

yup, you are the only one.

7. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

is anyone looting & rioting over the death?
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    need dash cam video

8. citizenzen macrumors 65816

From the Charlotte [North Carolina] Observer ...
    There were no eye witness accounts that were able to tell exactly what transpired.

When the footage comes out, we'll have a better idea.

9. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

Deaf people can drive with some special arraignment and tool.

10. unlinked macrumors 6502a

"Detectives say Trooper Saunders and Harris got into "an encounter" before he fired his weapon.
    Neighbors say Harris' car spun out of control and was shot almost immediately after exiting the vehicle.
    They say Harris was likely trying to communicate with the trooper using sign language before he was killed."

"Detectives say Harris was trying to communicate with the trooper using sign language before he was killed."

Gotta love internet chinese whispers. Surely the they in the original article refers to the neighbours not the police?

11. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

And apparently Brits have some people that insult other countries and law enforcement based on a few lines from a breaking news on the internet, all without even waiting for a dash-cam/body-cam video or more info.

12. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

No, but we do have people discounting the effects of institutional racism through statistically irrelevant counter examples.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

sounds like blacks should stay out of that institution (committing crime) then. just say'in......

14. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

No, I think they're staring in disbelief that so many Americans are killed by police each year regardless of the circumstances at hand. We're talking mortality rates of literally hundreds of times more, if not thousands.
    --- Post Merged, Aug 22, 2016 ---
    We all know what you're "just say'in" and it falls directly in line with who we know you are.

Just saying.

15. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

Yeah, you're just saying the usual racist rhetoric.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

17. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

How do you feel about police wearing cargo pants?

18. pdqgp, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016

pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

Then let a black man tell you this. But I suppose he's racist too...

[​IMG]
    If You Don’t Want Police To Shoot You, Don’t Resist Arrest
    Every time I hear of a black man being killed by the cops, he’s almost always a criminal thug I have no desire to defend.

It saddens me that what little is left of the black civil rights movement is spent defending thugs, hustlers, drug dealers, and troublemakers such as Michael Brown, Eric Garner, Freddie Gray, Alton Sterling, and Philando Castile. Can you believe we’ve gone from honorable causes like fighting for the right of black people to attend college to defending black criminals who foolishly mouth off against, run away from, and fight with the police; police who are putting their lives on the line to protect us from criminals?

Can’t the protestors at least defend young black men of honor, quiet heroes going against the grain by wearing their pants around their waist; refusing thuggery, weed-smoking, and hustling; those who marry one woman, have all their kids with that one woman, proactively raise those kids to be successful, productive citizens, and love only their wife and no other woman; those who work an honest job with integrity, intensity, and discipline, no matter how menial the work? (Note: selling illegal cigarettes on the street or bootleg CDs on the corner doesn’t count as honest work!)

If a protest were held against the oppression of such young black men, I’d be the first to join in. Yet every time I hear of a black man being killed by the cops, he’s not the man I just described. He’s almost always a criminal thug I have no desire to defend. Hardly our best, and hardly what Dr. King died for.

It’s Easier to Blame Everyone But Yourself
    You see, unlike those men recently shot, I do not fear for my life from the police. Quite the contrary, my life is made safer by the police who stand between me and people like Sterling, who is much more likely to break into my car or stick me up at night compared to any harm that might come to me from a police officer. The fact is, the police are not shooting black men like me. Why? Because I am not a criminal, and when the police stop me, I politely do what they say, and they leave me alone. I do not run away, fight back, or mouth off. It’s really pretty simple.

Why is no one asking how these men’s families and communities failed them so badly that they became criminals or thugs? If you look up “tough” in the dictionary, my grandmother’s picture will come up. If you were raised under her and acted up, after she got done with you you’d wish the police had gotten to you first. I’m glad my father was raised in such an environment. Discipline happens in the home, and it starts early. When it doesn’t, the police are left to clean up the mess of deeply broken human beings who were already doomed before their first interaction with the law. It’s totally unfair to ask the police to treat hardened criminals with kid gloves.

How did we get here? The Welfare Industrial Complex has produced generational government dependence that has devastated black families and communities and created the criminal underclass of black thugs the police are killing today. I wonder what Black Lives Matter has to say about that? Will they unequivocally call for an end to the welfare, food stamps, and government subsidized housing that have replaced the black father, and thus return the role of family provider to the black man where it belongs, not the government?

Will they call for a complete end to illegal immigration and to burdensome regulations and taxes that make hiring Americans too expensive? After all, these things reduce wages, increase unemployment, and harm the ability of young black men to get jobs that provide for a family. My guess: don’t hold your breath. It’s just so much easier to blame the police, white privilege, and institutionalized racism.

Yet amid all the hype, let us not lose sight of reality: No matter how much the media attempts to stir up racial strife, the fact is about 70 black people are killed by other black folks for every one killed by a white police officer. White police killings of black people are simply a non-issue compared to what black people do to each other, unfortunately.

So no, despite the prevailing atmosphere of hysteria, I’m not afraid of being killed by the police. Quite the contrary: sadly, the data shows I’m much more likely to be victimized by a fellow black man than by a white police officer. So may the police remain sharp, aggressive, and strike fear into criminals so the good people don’t become victims.

Photo ABC News / YouTube
    John Gibbs (@realJohnGibbs) has worked at Apple as an engineer on the iPhone, and has taught technology in Japan, being fluent in Japanese. John holds a B.S. in computer science from Stanford University and a master in public administration from Harvard University John F. Kennedy School of Government.

19. webbuzz macrumors 65816

webbuzz

Went to the WCNC article hoping there was more information. Hopefully the dash and body cams captured everything.

20. thats all folks macrumors 6502a

thats all folks

what it is like is another example of how poorly vetted and trained our police officers are and how that training is more about treating possible suspects as violent combatants rather than the scared and confused individuals they likely are. yes, there are violent and dangerous people out there. and the police have to be prepared to confront them. but they are nowhere near the majority. even for a suspect with a record and that is being uncooperative, the gun should be a measure of last resort. of course, there will always be times when an officer has to fire but to often it turns out that the police are who immediately escalate the situation past a resolution. a little patience and understanding with a goal of controlling and containing the situation would eliminate the majority of these tragic outcomes. It may not make the suspect less of an *******, but being an ******* is largely not against the law.

Sure, education, understanding and a change in attitude is needed from both sides, desperately, but the current situation where one side has effectively all the power, where could real change actually come from? this is why we don't have a king. this is why the head of our military is a civilian. we recognized the importance of distributing, diluting and checking power. So until us as civilians can believe that a cop wont shoot us for being an uncooperative idiot, we will fear them and respond to them as the dangerous aggressors they have proven they can be.

Let me ask this, what is the purpose of police? are they soldiers and we are the presumed enemy? or are they servants of society, empowered with authority contingent on the agreement they use it to make our lives better, even when they need to protect us from ourselves.

21. yaxomoxay macrumors 68000

yaxomoxay

I usually find that drawing conclusions on internal matters of a different country is a dangerous exercise.
    For example, in the UK there are 109 crimes per 1,000 population. The US has 41 crimes per 1,000 population. For the sake of argument - and only for that - we can argue that:
    1) The US is tackling crime seriously
    2) The use of force can be justified in order to lower crime by 50% or more
    3) If the 68 crimes over 1,000 difference between UK and US can be imputable to the UK's police inaction, then UK police is potentially more dangerous that the "gun toting American cops".
    4) and so on.

22. BaldiMac macrumors 604

BaldiMac

The fact that you think one man supporting your opinion proves anything simply because he's black is just more evidence of the racism in the comments that you post.

23. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

got a feeling he did not stop as he was trying to get to his family. thoughts with the family.

24. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

I think I've posted about 3-5 different videos and links over the past couple weeks.
    So what number would you like the world to cite for you? No need to answer...

Let's be sure we all note the race of the officer in this case when it's officially disclosed.