Cop shoots man for reaching for his license after instructing him to do so.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by xmichaelp, Sep 26, 2014.

1. xmichaelp macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Let's just ignore that it's a black man and a white cop because that's not why I'm posting this.

Why are cops so damn trigger happy? He told the citizen to grab his license and then shoots him when he tries. How in the hell is the poor guy supposed to know what to do? You can tell he's scared for his life and is just trying to get the lunatic cop to calm down and find out why he did that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RBUUO_VFYMs

2. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Let's tell all the facts not just the ones to rile up the local cop haters. The trooper has been fired. He has been charged and is awaiting trial. Surely, you don't advocate that we gather the pitchforks and torches. Pray tell, what more do you want the South Carolina State Police to do? Right now, medical science doesn't have a way to bring the victim back from the dead. This LEO got no special perks. He's been arrested and charged just as any other citizen of SC would have been.

Please share with us what other action you want South Carolina to take? Cops are people, people make mistakes. SC isn't covering it up. The former officer isn't getting any type of pass.

Why did you not mention that the trooper was terminated? Why did you not mention that he was arrested? Why did you not mention that he's been charged? Why did you not mention that he's facing twenty years in prison?

3. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Sounds like, for once, the police are handling it properly.

4. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

How does someone like this even become a cop? Do cops even go through training these days? What a joke, I hope he gets the book thrown at him

5. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

For once this case was handled good. Really really unfortunate for the victim however.

6. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Unfortunate? He's going to be fine. Already discharged from the hospital. Now, he's going to be a millionaire and get to do all the talk shows.

7. citizenzen macrumors 65816

The cop is completely wrong in this case. However, there is something that the kid did that helped to lead to the shooting.

When the cop asked for the license, the kid reaches into his back pocket, realizes the wallet isn't there, then reaches into the car to get it. At that point, the cop can't see his hands, doesn't know what is going to be pulled from the car, assumes the worst and immediately starts shooting.

Better communication would have helped here.

The kid should have said, "my license is in the car. Is it okay for me to get it?" and give the policeman a chance to position himself so he wasn't taken by surprise by a black teenager pulling godknowswhat from his front seat.

That doesn't mean I believe the kid was wrong, just that a pause and a few words could have possibly saved him from a bullet to the hip. Paranoid, trigger-happy cops need a little help and guidance. The smarter we are when dealing with them, the better off we'll be ... especially if we happen to be black.

8. TechGod macrumors 68040

TechGod

Well I do believe getting shot, anywhere, is unfortunate:p

9. xmichaelp, Sep 26, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2014

xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Wow you are defensive. I never intended to paint this story as a cop getting off without punishment or corruption. ALL I wanted to discuss is what makes a cop so quick to pull the trigger in a situation like that. It was a gross over-exxageration and completely ridiculous. I'm not bringing down all cops, just some. I didn't post this to discuss the cop's punishment, I posted it to discuss what the cop actually did.

So sympathetic for a guy who got shot for no reason and was a victim of a trigger happy cop. :rolleyes:

That's just sick if you don't think this situation was unfortunate for the guy getting shot.

Why are you so defensive of everything to do with police? Can't you call a spade a spade and admit there are a lot of incompetent cops and the percentage of them who are is disturbingly high?

I agree to a certain point. But the consequence for a slight lapse in judgement should not result in a cop releasing a few bullets and trying to kill you. In the kids mind this was a routine situation, he wasn't thinking there was a change he would die for no reason of his own. That is not a world I want to live in.

10. Michael Goff macrumors G4

Michael Goff

So you'd get shot for a million dollars? Without knowing whether or not you're going to be fine, that is.

11. samiwas macrumors 65816

Oh, well, that's settled. Nothing to see here. Let's all move on.

12. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

Who are you to say? What the heck motivates you?

13. xmichaelp thread starter macrumors 68000

xmichaelp

Also, isn't the cop supposed to tell him to stay in the car and put his hands on the steering wheel or something similar? I don't know much about police etiquette so it'd be nice for something to chime in.

14. SwiftLives macrumors 65816

SwiftLives

Strictly judging from what I see on the video, the cop did not pull him over. It looked as though the patrolman was about to leave the gas station, then he shifted into reverse, turned around, and parked behind the victim's car. As best as I can tell, the victim was already getting out of his car.

Allegedly, policemen are trained not to use lethal force unless they see a weapon. It looks to me as though he started firing when the victim's back was turned to him.

Still, I am glad the SC Highway Patrol handled this like they did. The officer has been fired, and is being charged, and faces up to 20 years in prison.

15. vrDrew macrumors 65816

For most of the past six years the Right in this country (everyone from the dingbats of the Tea Party to the talking heads of Fox News) have been shrieking about a "Government that was out of control" and the threat of imminent "tyranny."

And yet, when actually presented with evidence of a Government agent that really was out of control, and inflicting tyranny on its innocent citizens - they are not only silent. But appear to do everything possible to rationalize and excuse it.

The Police really are out of control in this country. Not all cops. Not even most cops. But enough cops that a completely innocent person really ought to have a very reasonable fear of interacting with them.

Thats a problem.

And I think we need to start asking ourselves, our politicians, and our cops why this has come about, and what we can do to change the situation.

16. Huntn macrumors G5

Huntn

I'll play devil's advocate: "No everything is just dandy. The victem lived and a cop was arrested. What's to worry about?"

... er, cops who think all issues even imagined issues based on prejudices are solved with a bullet.

17. jnpy!$4g3cwk macrumors 65816

jnpy!$4g3cwk

The officer may have been reacting in the way he was trained to do. I do hope the injured guy succeeds in suing for millions. In our society, lawsuits are the way, often the only way, to get a message across. At some point, police training is going to have to stop obsessing about reacting instantaneously to suspected terrorists, and, more on how to handle day-to-day interactions with the rest of us.

Terrorists are out there-- look at what happened recently in Australia. But, the reason we have police, and pay so much for police protection, is to improve our safety. If the police shoot everything that moves, we don't need them. We have to stop training police to over-react.

18. citizenzen macrumors 65816

No doubt. I'm just offering up a little advice that might help in any situation involving a cop. A little communication might save you from being shot by a cop with a hair-trigger.

----------

I sure hope not.

OMG. I can't see his hands ... time to start shooting now!

19. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

nice post.

cop is being charged, hope they get better training out of this.

20. citizenzen macrumors 65816

Is this a question of training?

Or are we just dealing with a cop who should never have been on the force in the first place?

I doubt they train cops to shoot under those conditions.

21. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

1. Could be.

2. not sure, he did seem to realize he screwed up & was somewhat trying to help the victim.

3. while I agree, cops tend to play by completely different rules. there are times when their target is not identified & they simply go on shooting sprees.

http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/l...men-Delivery-Torrance-Shooting-243564431.html

http://www.dailybreeze.com/general-...ople-in-torrance-in-case-of-mistaken-identity

wrong truck brand? wrong color? COMPLETELY different "suspect"? meh, who cares, shoot anyway.

what pisses me off is that they got to keep their jobs.

22. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

Was training a problem or did the officer make a mistake? The SC State Police have fired him. He's been arrested and charged. Now we have criminal trial and the civil suit.

23. iBlazed macrumors 68000

iBlazed

I won't be satisfied until the public lynching. :D

24. EvilQueen macrumors 6502

Because that would not meet the goal of the OP.

25. AP_piano295 macrumors 65816

Harder to cover it up when it's actually on video and the victim is still breathing.