Cop Tased Mentally Handicapped Woman into Submission

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by rockthecasbah, Dec 5, 2007.

1. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

This is just inexcusable. I honestly don't know what to say about this. I'm utterly shocked and horrified. This is just truly vile.

Link. (article + video)

Amid this phenomenon of internet postings of taser brutality and excessive force from law enforcement officals, this takes the cake. Sometimes the victims have some blame in their situations, and cops have reacted violently too quickly. This is an entirely different case. I'm still in disbelief I cannot say anymore...

2. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

That was sad.

I'm sure someone will come along saying she deserved it and we're just all cop haters, or that she was lucky she wasn't shot (as if that's the only alternative) but all I can wonder is why tasers seem to be used more and more as a first response rather than a last.

3. rockthecasbah thread starter macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Agreed. They meant to be a last defense measure before lethal force is attempted, not a quick response to "calm a person down." They are inhumane and with the barrage of these kind of videos we've seen lately, it's clear that they are being misused time and time again. Law enforcement is supposed to act to protect, not control. They are all too eager use force against individuals and it is wrong.

With such abuse, tasers should be banned. Tasering the handicapped? Disgusting.

4. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

As usual. God forbid we expect people we pay to do their jobs right.

5. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

Man, that is unbelievable. Let me check on something,,, Ok, I'm still living in The United States, right? And this is the year 2007, Right? I just want to make sure I haven't somehow slipped back in time to East Germany, before the wall came down. These cops are acting like members of the STASI*, and not American law enforcement officers. What on earth did this woman do that warranted her being TASED?

*For those not aware, the STASI was the secret police in East Germany. They were known for incredible records keeping, and brutal methods of keeping the population in check through fear and intimidation. The Wikipedia article on it is brief, but quite good.

Oh yeah, you know that's inevitable.

6. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

This is why they are called pigs. Because they have no respect for humans. Period. They believe themselves to be the "enforcers" of "law". They are delusional sociopaths and dangerous.

7. Iscariot macrumors 68030

Iscariot

Well, according to the article, the police officers determined that she was mentally handicapped prior to the tasing. Considering that, and the denial of the officer of using a taser at all despite numerous witnesses, my personal opinion is that the officer intentionally used excessive force and concluded he'd more likely get away with it because his accuser would be easily dismissible as an unreliable individual.

I'm not the type to jump to conclusions without evidence, but this incident seems to me to be particularly likely to be the result of malicious intent.

This is pretty bad, but I think the tasing of a man in a coma takes the cake.

8. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I'm sure there are plenty of officers out there who do the job honestly, and bravely. But I'm also sure there are some who are just as you describe, and probably worse.

Some might say "well, you try dealing with some of the thugs and jerks we have to deal with, see how you like it". All I can say to that is that you must have known this when you made your career decision. Maybe you should consider another line of work.

I have read that some cops, after a few years in the job, construct an imaginary wall in their minds. Then, they put everyone who's "Cop" on one side of the wall, and who is "not cop", whether you're hard core criminal, or law abiding citizen, on the other side of the wall. A real "us Vs. them" type of arrangement.

Think this is true?

Back to topic, there is still no clear reason as to why this woman was tased, is there? What possible threat was she posing to police? Was she armed? Was she being confrontational in any way?

9. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

Well the part on the cop haters is going to come up because of comments like below. Heck the reason I do not like seeing stories like this is because of comments like below and people use it to wave a flag that all cops are bad and taser are crap when most of the time they are used correctly and a great tool.

A vast majority of cops are great cops ad do their job very well. Just people hate being pulled over for speeding or arrested for things even though they are breaking the law and deserve it.

it comments like the ones above while I tend to give cops a huge benefit of the doute in things like this because the media is going to spin it and then people will bash cops left and right over the very few.

10. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

I don't entirely agree with Peace, and I don't entirely disagree with you.

I just don't want to be called a cop hater like in the last thread because I don't like this particular cop, and others like him, because of their actions.

11. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

It seemed in the last tread you seem to acted like that most cops are this way. It is few and far between. Now if it was a borderline call between using the taser and not I am going to side with the cop. In the last tread it was a stretch but it was closer to the boarder than it should of been.

I have not read this story.

Like i said I think if it borderline on if the cop should use it or not it is the cops call and we let the cop off with he was there and it was his call.

12. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Maybe you should read the story before posting then.

13. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I look it over. While I am not going to argue how far over the line the cop went the article is clearly another one of those lets bash the police articles. Remember to take what ever the lady says and take it back several notches because they are going to see it as worse than it really was.

Of course the media is not going to tell you that. They will spin the story to make it look worse than it really is.

now my point stands on how people love to bash cops yet no one makes any effort to state all the good they do. No they whin and complain about little things and when something big happens they just paste it over all over the place and say cops suck. Case and point was the quote I did earlier.

14. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

I have a lot of friends who are cops in the city. They live next door to me. They do a great service. That doesn't mean we should excuse the bad ones.

15. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

You mean like how I keep saying this makes the rest of the cops look bad? I think you're reading that wrong. I never said nor implied all cops are bad. I never would. I'm saying this makes the good ones look bad when the bad ones' behavior is excused. It shouldn't be, and most of the time isn't, proving that that type of behavior is not acceptable. Which is the way it should be. Those excusing it are saying it is ok, maybe even the norm, which is just going to make all cops look bad.

And we keep brining it up because people like you keep defending it, even when you haven't read the details.

It wasn't, the taser was completely uncalled for.

You should.

No we don't. If the cop made the wrong call, he is responsible. That's the way it is with that job, that's the way it is with almost all jobs. And that's the way it should be. Otherwise they'll think they can get away with it, and possibly make the same mistakes in the future, as well as telling others they can too. By saying it's not acceptable, even by giving the officer a slap on the wrist, they tell the public not to worry and that officer, as well as the others, not to do it again, or face even worse circumstances.

I'll say it again, a taser is not the first thing you should be thinking of in these situations, any more than a gun would.

16. djejrejk macrumors 6502a

djejrejk

This was so sad but is anyone really surprised.. we are headed the way of england... cameras and guys with guns on every street in our major cities.