Cop's Act of Kindness

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Dec 15, 2014.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

https://www.yahoo.com/parenting/cops-act-of-kindness-toward-shoplifting-grandma-105274449522.html

there are plenty of good cops out there, but like anything its the bad news that usually sell.

2. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

You're making this comment while reading a story from Yahoo News, republished from a news site published in Alabama on a story that has been covered by Fox News, People Magazine, and the New York Daily News.

Sure, bad news sells, but don't try to turn this story into a media critique.

3. elistan macrumors 6502a

Being nice to someone is the generally expected day-to-day sort of behavior - for the most part, beyond notably non-ordinary acts of kindness, it's not newsworthy. On the other hand, almost all bad behavior gets reported in the news, no matter who does it, even if it's just a crime blotter mention in the local paper. So why is it surprising that police behaving badly gets news attention, but police behaving properly doesn't? Are you saying that police being nice is such a rare event that it should receive national exposure each time? Similarly, should I get a news article published about myself when I give somebody food, or donate clothing, or do something else charitable?

4. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

You think the behavior in this story is expected police behavior and in their job description? To not only let someone go who was caught shoplifting but to go above and beyond and provide for her family? It it extraordinary and deserves recognition IMHO but usually these kinds of stories go unnoticed because it's not sexy enough for the MSM. There are some bad apples in law enforcement, no doubt about it, but the attention paid to the bad apples is overshadowing the overall good job that police are doing. This forum is often an example of the perpetuation of that distorted view of reality.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

instead of jailing her for shop lifting he helped her out, that was above & beyond IMHO.

6. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

This is so true. Our very own prolific and vocal LEO does give the police a bad name with his black and white thinking;

I could go on. That's just one thread of dozens. Thankfully not everyone sees the world in black and white - some can see grey and some can make wonderful, heartwarming decisions like the cop in the OP.

7. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Cop will probably get a counseling statement later from his OIC, and will be back to tazing kids and punching women in the face before the year is over.

A cops jobs is to force down the will of the state, not humanity and kindness.

Not saying it's the cops fault, but that is the nature of the system. Humanity is optional and discouraged.

8. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Thank you for proving my point.

9. kolax macrumors G3

A cop's job is to serve the people (which isn't solely to uphold the law).

10. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

Or in reality he'll get the positive publicity he deserves with international attention and be thanked by his superiors. As it should be.

11. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I don't know about Alabama but would assume he needed the cooperation of the merchant as well to not cite her.

It's a good all around story from the merchant to the responding cop and with the follow-up of the department to continue to help her. Adding to it is that the story came out from a disinterested person, not the merchant or the PD.

12. DonJudgeMe, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

DonJudgeMe macrumors regular

How does your post have any 'up votes'? What in the hell is the matter with some of you? You poke and criticize every single mistake made by certain individual officers that serve their communities every day. Yet, you lack the mental capacity to acknowledge even one human being's act of kindness without stretching to find something negative to comment on. It's pathetic.

13. DUCKofD3ATH Suspended

DUCKofD3ATH

Since we're discussing acts of kindness, this story is also a few weeks old, but it's touching and infuriating:

Salvation Army revisits shelter policy after family turned away due to son's age

The Johnson City Salvation Army is reviewing its emergency shelter policy after the organization turned away a homeless family with a teenage son on a cold night earlier this month, all because of the boy's age.

Tim Lejeune says on one of the coldest nights of the year, despite the organization's white flag waving outside the shelter, the Salvation Army turned his family away, because his son is 15 years old.

"They said he's too old to stay on the women's side, because of the women running around in their pajamas and they said he's too young to stay on the men's side in case some pervert wants to do whatever," Lejeune said.

Lejeune says his wife, their 15 year-old son, 16 year-old daughter and five year-old son, all down on their luck, have been living in their car for the last several weeks.
    Prepared to return to their cars to sleep in 18 degree weather, Johnson City police officers came upon the family and took up their cause. However, that proved unsuccessful.

Certain the family should not be expected to sleep in their car on one of the coldest nights of the year, the officers brought the family to the Johnson Inn and then did something remarkable. They pooled their resources and were prepared to pay for a motel room for the family with money out of their own pockets.

"They collected money to put the family up and when they were at the Johnson Inn, the clerk that was working there that night realized what was going on, so they themselves comped the room for the family," Maj. Garry Younger said. "In return, the officers took the money they collected and went and bought groceries that they gave to the family. I'm very proud that we employ people with that fortitude that care about the citizens."
    Police officers AD McElroy, Justin Jenkins, Toma Sparks and Robert McCurry were not the only ones to help this family with a selfless act. Along with police, Washington County-Johnson City 911 dispatchers on shift two helped raise enough money to buy this family groceries, dinner and leave some cash behind for them.

Read the whole thing.

14. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

And yet there are some here that believe these and all cops would rather be punching people in the face.

15. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Who here has said all cops would rather be punching people in the face?

16. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Scroll up a little bit.

17. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

18. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

And no one here on this forum I would wager would argue that point whatsoever, even the so called "blind police apologists".

19. Mousse macrumors 68000

Mousse

That's right. He was shirking his duty, which was to ARREST shoplifters.:eek: Victor Hugo's Les Misérables would have been a short story if Inspector Jalvert had paid for Jean Valjean's stolen bread.:p

It's nice to see a cop who remembers that his a human first, a cop second. One of the good guys being a good guy.:cool:

20. Happybunny macrumors 68000

A cop's act of kindness, today in the USA, is when he doesn't shoot the unarmed person dead.

21. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Methinks you're getting a bit too cynical in your advanced age. ;)

22. Happybunny macrumors 68000

You really did get a higher education.:p

23. giantfan1224, Dec 16, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2014

giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

English might be my fourth language, but I do know the meaning of methinks.

But out side of William Shakespeare's plays it not generally used.

I thought you were giving us the benefit of your education.

25. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I edited my post with a better definition out of urbandictionary.com that better illustrates why I used it.