Cops are human too.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Khalanad75, Jul 29, 2016.

1. Khalanad75 macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

http://www.sacbee.com/latest-news/article92568852.html#

Being able to take some time to do this probably helps keep this officer in a good place. Some professions need this positive feedback to counter the bad.

My daughter was a micro-preemie and was in the NICU for 3 months. The NICU she was in has a reunion every year and we make sure to go every year because even though my daughter came out healthy. there are many who the nurses and doctors try and save but don't. The nurses who I am still friends with tell me that being able to see the ones they save make it easier to go in each day and face the possibility that they may not be able to save the next one, but they will try all the same.

I see this being the same with most police officers I know.

2. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

good threads don't get much traffic or post.
    hope they continue to meet.
    [​IMG]

3. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Sounds like they are going to. The article mentioned that they have spent Thanksgiving and Christmas together.

4. bent christian, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

5. thermodynamic Suspended

thermodynamic

yes because the 5.2 second animated GIF clearly tells the absolute entire story. Without the uniform he could have just as easily been her stepdad trying to stop a child from having a wild tantrum.

6. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Do you ever get tired of apologizing?

7. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Don't be coy. We have all heard about the McKinney pool party of 2015.

8. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

And how the female being detained was part of the group that was breaking the rules? Yeah we did.

9. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Police were called to the pool because of an alleged fight. A White woman reportedly taunted a girl with racial slurs, people took offense. Police came, put everyone with Black skin on the ground. Guns were drawn on young, unarmed African-American males.

The officer did nothing wrong in your mind, yet he apologized, was suspended, and eventually resigned.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2016 ---
    Being White and living in the Suburbs is great. I can attest to that. Service with a smile.

10. Khalanad75 thread starter macrumors 6502

Khalanad75

And you had to bring this to this thread why?

Because god forbid we actually have a police thread that isn't demonizing them?

11. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

well they give away free ice cream bribe them while they are young.
    [​IMG]
    patrol-car2.png

12. hulugu macrumors 68000

hulugu

Cops are human, which is a bit of the problem. They are subject to not just their department's policies, but also its culture.

Which means good cops can be encouraged to make bad arrests and use overt, unnecessary force. And, bad cops can be tempered by a department with an aggressive internal affairs office that takes use-of-force complaints seriously.

It's worth remembering that police officers constantly see people at their worst. They respond to car accidents and assault victims. They break up fights, take children out broken homes, keep drug addicts from murdering each other on a bad Saturday night. They see the shadows and murk at the bottom of the American soul and balance their ability to talk and exercise force against aggrieved, irrational and sometimes dangerous people.

It's a difficult job, and some people do it really poorly. But, thousands of cops go out each day and do the right thing. We've got to take policing seriously, which means no hagiography and no aspersions.

13. steve knight macrumors 68020

steve knight

it is it's a thankless job for the most part firemen get the praise not the police.

14. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Most police are not good people. They might mean well, but police? NO. Generally not good and moral people.

If most police were good people the Blue Wall would not exist.

If most police were good people, they would not routinely cover-up illegal activity for one another.

If most police were good people, reform would be coming from the inside. In reality, it almost always takes an outside entity to enact any culture change with a department.

Yes, it is a difficult job. It is a job most people are not fit for.

15. CalWizrd Suspended

CalWizrd

Right, and a generalization is never right.

Broad brush much?

16. steve23094 macrumors 68000

steve23094

17. bent christian, Jul 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2016

bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Are you telling us the Blue Wall does not exist? It is a myth? Something made up out of whole cloth?

Are you telling us police are likely to confront the unprofessional or illegal activity of fellow officers?

18. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Hopefully you and your family will never need the police then.

19. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

The same issues apply to doctors, lawyers, accountants, bankers, and ... activists....

I think the problem is not the police but their fear that everybody they meet might be armed. Here in the UK there have been documented cases of police dishonesty, illegality and racism, but on the whole they don't shoot people without reason (and, yes, there are times they have shot people by accident). Where I am the police are not routinely armed, and indeed there was considerable backlash in Scotland when a policy was made to have the armed police units have their weapons in their vehicles even if not on a call. There are guns in Scotland, but it is regulated. That doesn't prevent people from hunting or using rifles in sport. Oh, and after the massacre in Dunblane by a handgun-toting lunatic, handguns were banned. Scotland/UK reacted decisively after one incident of school children being shot. *cough*

20. BeefCake 15 macrumors 65816

BeefCake 15

I truly recommend the book Blink by Malcolm Gladwell which covers the police situation in a very good analytical point of view.

21. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

The difference being, doctors, lawyers, accountants, bankers, and activists do not hold our lives (well, arguable doctors do, but they don't carry guns and are not intimately involved in crime scene investigation:cover-up) and our liberty in their hands. Doctors, lawyers, accountants, bankers, and activists are likely to be indicted if compelling evidence exists that they commit a crime. Police operate in a different, more shielded existence.

22. VulchR macrumors 68020

VulchR

Perhaps. Certainly I am in favour of mandatory cameras for police. It protects both them and the public from lies.

23. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Operation Hoodsie? That can't be real.

24. bent christian Suspended

bent christian

Here in the states we have unarmed people being choked to death on the street in broad daylight by police. Unarmed children are being immediately shot to death upon arrival of an officer. Others being beaten with bags over their heads. All of this occurs in broad daylight and is on YouTube. Still, we rarely have officers held accountable for their actions. I think cameras do next to nothing here in the states where accountability is concerned. It certainly is no solution for us.
    --- Post Merged, Jul 29, 2016 ---
    Yes, to an American, it is inconceivable that police would be handing out candies and ice cream to Black children. This is the sad state of affairs we live under.

25. DrewDaHilp1 macrumors 6502a

DrewDaHilp1

Make up your mind here. If you are so concerned about police "beatings" and "murders" do you think it's the best idea for the police to be handing out goodies to children? I mean you may never know when one of those cops might snap and decide that chubby pre-diabetic kid needs a knock out instead of blow pop.