Cops are literally stealing your money, and there's nothing being done about it

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by Hieveryone, Sep 8, 2014.

1. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

Old news. The dick heads have been doing for some time. They have an us against them mentality. They are the ruling class.

2. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

Yeah I had a feeling this had been going on. It just seems like something they would do.

I wish there was something that we could do to change the way police forces operate. More rules, more punishment for breaking the law and abusing their power.

3. AngerDanger macrumors 68030

AngerDanger

And here I was thinking that stealing cops were a metaphor for something else… :p

4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

I thought you were going to be talking about this.

Parents' house seized after son's drug bust

Laws vary by state, but worst case situation is as follows:

1. The DA's office can take your property without charging you with a crime.
    2. The onus is then on you, not the state, to prove you committed no crime/had no knowledge of the criminal activity happening on your property.
    3. You present your case not to a judge or jury but to be someone from the, wait for it, DA's office.
    4. The DA's office gets all proceeds from the sale of your property.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Always fun to see the police departments making money off the people who cannot afford to challenge them to regain possession of their property.

Of course it doesn't help with their being no simple way of challenging a civil asset forfeiture in court, when you have smart prosecutors that can get your challenge tossed on a technicality so they can keep your money/property.

---

I do like California's next money grab, as they are pulling people over and impounding their cars when they don't have a valid "California Driver's License" -- seems that license you have from another state no longer keeps your car off the flatbed truck.

Always wondered why all these stars kept having their cars towed in CA, now I know.

6. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Link?

7. h4lp m3, Sep 8, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2014

h4lp m3 macrumors 6502

Well, it's new to me...

Just because you've been to all 4 corners of the internet, doesn't mean everyone else has. I personally applaud the man's efforts in spreading awareness of police corruption. Some of us don't have the luxury of sitting around all day on the computer... Some of us have to work.

That said, the authorities in America are recklessly out of hand (especially in regards to brutality and unwarranted search & seizures), and I see a HUGE PROBLEM in our society when people are unwilling to contest them out of fear. You can sit back and say "That's just the way it is" all you want, but I know beyond a shadow of a doubt that if you're not part of the solution, you're part of the problem.

Those who selflessly go out of their way to raise awareness and improve the lives of others with nothing expected in return are heroes in my eyes, while those who stand down and take it are not only cowards, but they have no meaningful purpose in life. I know it's a tough pill to swallow, but it's the truth and it's in yo face!

When you look at it from a philosophical and psychological stance, what is a man with not a legacy to leave behind? I'm resisting the urge to not sound cliché, but What Will Your Verse Be? The ball's in your court.

[​IMG]

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

9. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

There's good lawyers and bad lawyers. Good cops and bad cops. Good teachers and bad teachers. And then there's Washington.

Most cops are doing their jobs and risking their lives to protect communities and their citizens. Some are not, and ought to be held accountable, but the broad strokes with which laymen paint the few who who get caught making all of the others look bad is somewhere between pathetic and tragic.

10. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

If you move to CA you have two weeks to get a CA driver's license and register your vehicle(s) in CA (many people try to skirt this by keeping their car and their ID registered in their home state for as long as possible and then will just lie to the cops and say they are visiting if they get pulled over). If the cops knew that Ron was a long time CA resident w/o a valid CA license then that means the car must be towed (relatively new guidelines mandating towing of vehicle if driver is unlicensed in an attempt to crack down on number of illegal aliens driving in the county).

I can't find anything online that says it's against the law for non-CA residents to drive in CA with a non-CA DL..

11. thekev macrumors 604

thekev

That would be strange, considering that you can drive in many foreign countries with just a passport and a California driver's license. They typically have limits as to how long that applies.

12. Hieveryone thread starter macrumors 68030

And that doesn't mean we shouldn't be talking about the bad ones in public forums for everyone to know about them.

13. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

What other countries accept has no relevance to what any state will do. California does not (unless recently changed) recognize international drivers licenses. Some states do.

14. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

This is what the CA DMV site says:

15. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

Yes, a valid license from a country (as long as they haven't established residency). Many drivers come to CA expecting their International license is sufficient. It isn't which is my only point. Or some suspended CA drivers try to pull a fast one by using their International license. (Usually doesn't work. Ha ha.)

16. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

17. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

Pretty much the same here in Arizona, albeit without the mandatory towing part (citation instead). We have a high use tax (tag fee) and the state wants that money ASAP.

In my city, since we NEVER vote in school buses (large retired populace), you will often find a cop near schools, looking at tags of those dropping off their children. If your kids are enrolled in school you might just be a resident...

This if course has nothing to do with the thread, and the post about towing non-CA license holders was misleading at best. Even at that, your car is impounded and not CONFISCATED.

Michael

18. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

LethalWolfe

Remind me never to offer to drop off my nieces at school when I'm visiting.:eek:

19. MrWillie macrumors 65816

MrWillie

I definitely don't have the time to write judgemental post that attempt to put others down and give false praise to myself and the thread starter. :rolleyes: I'm sure the thread starter doesn't have self esteem issues.

20. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

When visiting, you drop your nieces off at school for days at a time? :confused:

Mike