Cops beat man, fired

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by dukebound85, May 20, 2009.

1. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21134540/vp=30850639&#30850639

reminds me of that other thread

still amazed at how some didnt think the officer should have been fired after kicking a guy in a head. i hope this changes your tune that police need to be held accountable and charged with assault

2. .Andy macrumors 68030

.Andy

That video has the most disgustingly cynical and manipulative advertisement I think I've ever seen :(.

But I agree with your other point Duke. The real footage of the officers assaulting that man is horrible. They should all be charged with attempted murder.

3. leekohler macrumors G5

leekohler

Whoa! WTF! Thank god they were fired! That's f***ing ridiculous! :mad: They didn't even know if the guy was already hurt! They could have killed him.

4. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

This is why some states (such as Illinois) have a no-chase rule for vehicles. Not only is the chase dangerous, but the cops are high on adrenaline at the end and could act rashly, as seen here.

5. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

6. jecapaga macrumors 601

jecapaga

That is incredible. Glad they were fired for sure. How anyone can defend their actions is beyond me but I'm sure there will be someone trolling.

7. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

:eek:

As the reporter was saying - the man was ejected from his vehicle (rather violently from the tape footage), and the police immediately run in and start beating him! They are supposed to be FRs!

Unbelieveable.

8. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

9. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Yeah I saw this earlier, and my first thought was "wow, you really shouldn't beat someone you just watched get ejected from a vehicle as it rolled over".

You'd think the cops would approach with caution -- guns drawn even; and try to take a second or two to assess the situation before deciding that force was required.

10. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why would it matter?

How these cops weren't charged with felony assault is beyond me.

11. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

I would like to know the full context of his crime? Does anyone know what this criminal did?

12. SLC Flyfishing macrumors 65816

SLC Flyfishing

Sick bastards, 9 of them beating a man after they watched him get ejected from his car. Apparently he was already unconsious because my news reported that he even thought all of his injuries were from the crash.

SLC

13. Eanair macrumors 6502

Eanair

Yeah, that's what the linked video said too.

He only realized he was beat up when he saw the video. He had assumed all his injuries and bruises were crash-related.

14. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

There's more here. link

The entire video, 20 minutes or so long of the chase can be found here. I have yet to watch it in its entirety.

15. NoSmokingBandit macrumors 68000

NoSmokingBandit

Two days ago a rookie state police officer caused a pretty bad accident when he t-boned a fellow who was making a left turn a few miles from my house. Everyone knows its was the officer's fault, but the police are doing everything they can do to make it look like the other guy's fault. Its really disturbing, to be honest.

Imo, getting fired is not enough punishment for this officer. He needs to have his ass sued off. If a civilian acted like this they would be sitting in jail. Officers should have bigger punishments for stuff like this because they are supposed to be the protectors of the public and acting out of line like this is an embarrassment to the entire police force.

16. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

Still not one word on this fine upstanding American citizen's crime. Was this for a speeding ticket or did he shoot someone. If he shot someone they should have ran him over:)

17. aethelbert macrumors 601

Because he's guilty until proven innocent?

18. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

No , because the fuzz was chasing him for something? did he throw a toothpick out the window?

19. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I'm just skimming through this thread, so my apologies if I am redundent. A couple of you asked what he did. Here is a link with a longer video. To be clear, I am not attempting to justify what the cops did, but to answer some of your questions, he swerved at and hit a cop on foot about ten seconds before all of this happened.

It actually happened in front of my office, but not that I saw it. Anyway, here's the video and today's article on it.

http://blog.al.com/spotnews/2009/05/birmingham_police_video_of_bea.html

20. Ugg macrumors 68000

Ugg

That's pretty scary but in all honesty, incredibly stupid on the part of the cop who quite literally threw himself in front of the van.

The video is also pretty clear in that the guy was ejected from the van. I don't know how fast he was going but being ejected from a vehicle that rolled over has to be a pretty disabling event. The beating was uncalled for.

21. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Crime is not a zero-sum game. It is entirely possible that both the cops and the perp deserve to go to jail.

In fact, IIRC, the perp is serving a 20-year sentence for his actions that day.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn

After watching that video I could see how the cops could have let their rage get out of control, the guy purposely just tried to kill one of their friends.

The dood was probably ****ed up beyond belief anyway after falling out of the car like that, they should have just left it at that.

23. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

A 20 year sentence for what? sounds like he needed a buttkicking. And now all of us taxpayers get to pay for it.:mad:

24. CorvusCamenarum macrumors 65816

CorvusCamenarum

The Birmingham news last night (NBC affiliate) dug up this guy's criminal history. He's got a Ph.D. in breaking the law, including two escapes from jail. Still doesn't justify what the officers did to him, though. I suppose the upside for him is that he'll be able to buy anything he could ever want from the prison cantina.

25. OutThere macrumors 603

OutThere

The comments on the page with the entire video are absolutely sickening. What is wrong with people?