Cops Hunt 12-Year-Old Wanted for Murder

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by jkcerda, Jul 7, 2015.

1. jkcerda macrumors 6502

jkcerda

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news...urder-2-teens-arrested-cops-n388231?cid=sm_fb

[​IMG]
    12 ****ing years old. over freaking weed . play adult games/win adult prizes, not sure you can change these morons.

2. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I was trying to stay out of this one, as it's all over Omaha now, and that kid is absolutely scared The rest of the lineup doesn't look more than 17, either:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/...-Bond-12-Year-Old-Still-Wanted-312193241.html

What's sadder for me is that this was a little over a mile from where I used to live, and back then, nothing like this happened, and if we had any differences, we settled it the old school way: breakdancing. And if we broke out the cardboard, we weren't joking.

Anyway, I digress. This is just completely and utterly sad.

BL.

3. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Made me spew water all over the keyboard.

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

Apparently, Milton was caught and arrested..... in Minneapolis. Like I said, a very scared little boy. However, un-kept, unaided, and not mentored, we can't help but see this already happening, or not predict it. The tale of the tape with the latest events:

http://www.wowt.com/home/headlines/312364751.html

Father is a convicted felon; mother is a convicted felon. Not sure what the foster home was doing, but this is exactly why Boys Town is there. It is even more frustrating because Boys Town is in the same city. But one can easily see that he was involved with this to get the praise from the only other role model left to him that wasn't in jail - his brother. It's sad that this will now be an entire family in jail.

I have to agree with Kleine. When I was Milton's age, my biggest concern was running home from school as fast as I could to watch She-Ra whoop Hordak's ass, and record The Return of Optimus Prime. just... unfathomable.

Oh.. I was wrong.. I was about 4 - 5 miles away. The map in the link shows where it happened. my earlier years were around the 47th and Fort area.

BL.

5. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

with BOTH parents in jail you would figure the kids would learn from the parents mistake. instead they will all be jailed.

6. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Not without a positive role model somewhere along the line, which he does not seem to have had.

With respect, how on earth can you even begin to 'file on' a murder charge on a twelve year kid as an adult? This is unconscionable, and frankly, almost straight out of something written by Charles Dickens or Victor Hugo.

This is a kid, not even a teenager yet, not an adult, and to attempt to charge him as one is outrageous. He is a kid from a very screwed up and clearly dysfunctional family, who has never had the experience of stability and support from anyone close to him, and who, as @bradl has already pointed out, probably longed for attention, praise and reinforcement from the one role model left to him, his older brother.

And, also with respect, the US has some serious problems with guns, access to, attitudes towards ownership of, use of.

7. jkcerda thread starter macrumors 6502

jkcerda

kids are not able to LEGALLY purchase guns.
    BOTH parents are jailed because they are criminals, how much more of an incentive to be good can they want? I agree charging the 12 Y/O is a bit much, there might be hope for him yet.

8. Scepticalscribe, Jul 9, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

He can't possibly have what you have termed 'an incentive' if this is all he knows or has been brought up to know.

Well, clearly the family is extraordinarily dysfunctional, and I read the articles stating that both parents have been jailed.

Not only are they not around, but, if the only role models available to an impressionable kid are dreadful ones, - along with a clearly poor role model in the form of an older brother with criminal tendencies - it takes an astounding independence of mind and character to see beyond that to internalise a different - and conflicting - set of values to the ones that surround your life and inform your values.

Who - what influential adult - in that kid's life is there to give him good example, and support and positive reinforcement to think differently and want to be different from the dysfunctional world in which he has been brought up?

For a kid to break away from that, and internalise a different set of values, you have to have at least one significant adult in that kid's life who is in a position which is respected to wield this kind of positive influence; a teacher, perhaps, or some sort of community leader, or, maybe a sportsman whom he might admire.

9. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

An update to this.

The 12 year-old plea-bargained his way down to probation for this incident.

http://www.omaha.com/news/crime/yea...cle_a34ea4be-78d2-11e5-b0cf-331484cdb5c4.html

As said 4 months ago, a sad story all around.

BL.

10. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

By that logic then the revolving doors of incarceration would not be occurring in the generation after generation in these such neighborhoods. And yet it does.

If you grow up with people going to jail right and left, and without a parental figure telling and demonstrating not to follow that lifestyle, it becomes percieved as a relatively "normal" yet unfortunate thing that happens to people. A child models their behavior first after their parents and then community- and that is how they deem how appropriate something is. In other communities, when everyone denounces crime and you know of zero people who have gone to jail, you'll be more adverse to crime and jail.

Being raised without parents or neglectful parents has a severe outcome in many ways on the psychological development. It's sad.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Even without parental guidance (or any sort of a positive role model from either the child's parents, or, from his older brother), if there was one single adult - counsellor, teacher, coach - in that kid's life who was in a position to offer positive mentoring, or support, or an encouraging interest in the kid's welfare and the kid's life, things might have been different.

Kids who have escaped ghettos and turn their lives around rarely mention the instructive lessons of the punitive effects of incarceration of their parents; instead, unless given an alternative map, this is what is normal for them.

Very often, all such a kid needs is one single positive role model in order to effect lasting change. How often have you heard kids (later adults) mention that one teacher, or that one coach, who transformed their lives, by making them aware of alternatives, or futures, that lay elsewhere to where they were - physically, and mentally and psychologically - at the moment?

12. A.Goldberg macrumors 68000

A.Goldberg

Very well said. I suspect his older brother filled that roll for him. And looks where it got him.

13. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

14. Meister Suspended

Meister

Some kids are just genuinly evil. Bad seeds. They grew up in almost perfect homes and received all the love, care and support one could wish for. And then they just harm others. just because they like hurting others. No elaborate reason behind it.

15. Scepticalscribe, Oct 23, 2015
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2015

Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

True. And if such kids come from good homes, I tend to be somewhat less sympathetic; they have grown up with every considerable advantage and still expect - and sometimes receive - breaks when they behave badly, such is their sense of entitlement.

However, if a kid has drawn almost all of life's short straws, sometimes, all you need to begin to turn things around is one single, solitary adult - whom that kid respects - to take a benign and supportive interest in that kid.

It could take the form of advice, mentoring, coaching, offering a way out through games, or encouraging the kid to find themselves through say, music, or bequeathing a love of English to them.

And if that kid has drawn almost all of life's short straws, lives in a world where imprisoned relatives are the norm, and knows little else but a life of crime, then, it is all too easy to label that kid 'bad' and expect him to turn this into a self-fulfilling prophecy.

16. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

In a Red state like Nebraska (my home state, BTW), you'd be quite incorrect.

BL.

17. pdqgp macrumors 68020

pdqgp

one instance I am glad to be incorrect on.