Cops more willing to shoot whites than blacks, research finds.

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by noodlemanc, Jan 10, 2015.

1. noodlemanc macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Source: http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-more-hesitant-to-shoot-black-suspe/?page=all

I guess they're just aware of the *****torm that will often rain down upon them if they shoot someone who happens to be black...

2. APlotdevice, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Interesting. Though it's important to keep this part in mind...
    "found that participants in realistic simulations felt more threatened by black suspects..."

... As it suggests that, if they weren't afraid of the backlash, they would be more likely to shoot a black suspect. It's a seesaw effect of sorts.

3. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

But cops don't get much chances to shoot whites cause they are to busy profiling, following, and harassing blacks. That research is bogus.

4. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

It's not expected that cop-haters will believe any research that does not fit their narrative.

5. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I'm not a cop hater, I almost became one straight out the military. But a much better financial opportunity came along.

Let's just call it like it is without the bias. Every situation starts with engaging with someone. Maybe the police should engage with whites more and we'll see more whites get shot according to the OP research logic.

http://www.nyclu.org/issues/racial-justice/stop-and-frisk-practices

6. noodlemanc thread starter macrumors regular

noodlemanc

True. I suppose it's because statistically a black person would be more likely to do them harm than a white or asian person. I would assume that a cop would also feel threatened less by a woman than a man, because women commit fewer violent crimes.

----------

What about the part where the cops say that they are often relieved when the realise that the person they shot was white? If they would rather shoot blacks wouldn't that be the opposite way around?

7. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Who would be relieved about the color of the person they shot?

It would be much better for this research to happen, when it's not one of the focal points of main stream media and the public discussion.

8. noodlemanc thread starter macrumors regular

noodlemanc

Someone who's worried about being labelled racist and having all this public outrage directed at them? I mean, do you think Darren Wilson wouldn't have preferred to have shot a white man rather than a black man, after all that happened...? Even if the shooting was justified you as a police officer are much safer from public backlash if you shot someone who wasn't black.

9. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Are you just being obtuse or do you really not know the answer to the question after reading the information already presented in this thread?

10. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

I usually charge for lessons, but this one is on me.

11. SLC Flyfishing, Jan 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015

SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

A police officer, apparently. Was that not clear?

12. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Do you make a habit of asking rhetorical questions that make it seem like you haven't understood the subject matter?

13. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Self reporting on a subject that has to do with cognitive bias is a really piss poor way to run a research project...

14. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Well post my quote in full and ask the same question. :rolleyes:

You're really coming into this thread swinging for no reason. You didn't even post anything about the actual OP. Chill out.

15. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

Do you make a habit of asking rhetorical questions that make it seem like you haven't understood the subject matter?

Is that better?

No reason? I'm not the only one here that thought your "rhetorical" question deserved a response.

16. Anitramane macrumors 6502

I want you to replace every "white" in that text to "black" and vice versa, publish it, and see if the cops get a *****torm for being racist.

I mean "In fact, he said, officers involved in shootings have told him that they were actually relieved that the person they shot was black, not white.". Doesn't sound so good in a lot of peoples ears.

Also, replace "woman" with "man"

17. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

Fine you got everything out your system. Now quit starting arguments with me. Discuss the actual topic or don't reply to me at all.

18. SLC Flyfishing Suspended

SLC Flyfishing

You asked a question. Rhetorical or not it looks bad on you to get pissed when you get an answer.

Comments in threads are often replied to, we are not bound to only respond to the OP or the topic of the thread. We often comment on the position of other thread participants. It's called debate.

19. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

His first post(calling me a cop-hater) all the way down to his last post as been nothing but argumentative towards me. No need for you to co-sign.

20. giantfan1224 macrumors 6502a

giantfan1224

I tend to respond to what I consider ridiculous posts. It really isn't personal.

I didn't technically call you a cop-hater. Read it again, I was more making a generalized statement and used your quote because it's what made me think of it.

21. LIVEFRMNYC macrumors 603

No, your doing what many others do when race is the topic. Critiquing everything but the actual topic itself.

BTW ... I'm not taking it personal. It's just annoying and a waste of thread posts. I'm done.

Now your just insulting my intelligence.

22. Bug-Creator macrumors 6502

Bug-Creator

The answers one may give in an interview while sitting comfortable and save may not allways be in line with what one may do when feeling threatened in a specific situation.

Read, this "study" is 100% BS from a scientific viewpoint and most likely carries an non-scientific motivation.

Proper approach would have been sampling 1000s of police encounters and compare results based on race of the suspect.

23. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

If the police were truly more likely to shoot non Latino whites then it should be straightforward to find incidents of it happening, or the police getting away with it at grand jury since Ferguson this summer.

There are more non-Latino whites than any other group in America after all.

24. Happybunny macrumors 68000

25. vrDrew macrumors 65816

True.

Because in the real world the results are very different: Black teens are twenty one times more likely to be shot dead by police than their white counterparts.

I don't like dismissing anyone's argument out of hand purely because of a bad source, but between the Washington Times and the (UK) Daily Mail there really are some rotten sources of internet information out there.