Copy Dual Boot OS X Lion and Win7 to new SSD + change Win partition

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by aliman, Sep 28, 2012.

1. aliman macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just got a new SSD (Samsung 830 512GB) for my Mid 2010 Mac Book Pro i7.
    On the existing 500GB HDD I run a dual boot system with OS X Lion and Win7 64bit Prof. The Win partition was created with BootCamp and has about 50 GB.

What I want to do now, is to transfer the entire Dual Boot system to the new SSD, and if possible also change the size of the Windows Partition from 50 to 100GB, as I need more space for my CAD Apps on Windows.

How do I do that?

I thought I might start with Copying my Macintosh HD to the SSD with CCC, and then in a second step create a new 100 GB partition on the SSD which would be formatted in the Windows file format, and then copy the old windows partition into the new, larger one? Would that work, or is it nonsense??

Please help me, because I couldnt find anything for that specific problem on the internet..

Cheers,
    Alex

2. aliman thread starter macrumors newbie

3. judgejohn82 macrumors member

Have you looked into Winclone?

A combination of it and CCC should do what you require.

There are some good, in-depth tutorials on the Winclone site telling you how to resize a Bootcamp partition.

4. entrywounds macrumors newbie

Acronis True Image. With this software you can make a bootable startup disk to start the computer and do a disk Hard drive to hard drive clone that will include any partitions as well. After the transfer is done you will just be able to install the new drive and fire the computer up like normal.