copy of 2.0.2 to downgrade after 2.1 (just in case)?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by icewing, Sep 11, 2008.

1. icewing macrumors 6502

I've been running 2.0.2 and it's been pretty stable for me. I'd like to upgrade to 2.1 as soon as it's available, but just in case, is there any way to save a backup of 2.0.2 and then downgrade if I start having problems with 2.1?

2. mrtune macrumors 6502a

iTunes keeps copies of previous firmware downloads on your computer. Are you running a mac or pc?

On a mac go into your user folder then Library > iTunes > iPhone Software Updates

On my mac I have seven updates. All 3 2.x releases and 4 1.x releases sitting in there :)

You wanna restore to a previous version, on a mac, hold the command key while clicking on restore. It should bring up a box. Go to that folder and click on one of them.

If you're on a pc, I'm sure someone else will chime in. I don't know where iTunes stores them there.

3. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

If you check here, assuming you already have it downloaded, it should remain in this location when you update to the latest version however to be sure yo could copy it to the desktop.

/Users/username/Library/iTunes/iPhone Software Updates/iPhone1,1_2.0.2_5C1_Restore.ipsw

4. icewing thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm on a PC running XP. Thanks for the help!

I found it here: C:\Documents and Settings\username\Application Data\Apple Computer\iTunes\iPhone Software Updates

5. danny_w macrumors 601

So is it safe to downgrade a plain stock original (2G) iPhone from 2.1 to 1.1.4 with this approach? The keyboard response on my 2.1 is so frustratingly slow that I consider it unusable. I like a very few of the apps I have found, but would rather have a working keyboard. Thanks!

6. sallythemac Guest

I have never successfully downgraded my iPhone software. Always get an error at the end of the new install.

If anyone else has a better experience, i would love to hear your secret!

7. lakaiordie macrumors 65816

i havent had a problem with 2.1

i dont know why someone would want to downgrade below 2.0

then you have no app store.

8. mrtune macrumors 6502a

As far as stability and reliability is concerned, 1.1.4 was leaps and bounds better than anything 2.x

I wish I could downgrade, but I made the mistake of getting rid of my original iPhone and buying the iPhone 3G.

I would happily lose the app store if that meant a fast and reliable OS. I'm sure there are others out there you think like me as well.