Copying 100GB from Desktop to rMBP via Ethernet TB....one day?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SvK, Feb 17, 2013.

1. SvK macrumors 6502

SvK

Hi all,

I'm copying 100gig from Desktop to rMBP via Ehternet / TB adapter. It's crawling......About one day??

what am i missing here?

best,
    SvK

----------

spoke too soon...

it's really picking up now

2. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

You threw in the edit just as I hit the reply button. Two things to keep in mind is that time estimates aren't perfect, particularly for huge transfers. As far as the transfer itself goes, unless you had both systems connected directly to each other via ethernet cable, it's possible for your intermediate (the router/switch) to be a bottleneck. By way of an obvious example, both systems could have gigabit ethernet support, but if your router only supports 100 megabits, well...

3. SvK thread starter macrumors 6502

SvK

Ledgem,

Thanks for assist.

Yeah I reckoned there would be a bottleneck, so I hooked up directly between both Computers, bypassing ATT uverse box.

best,
    SvK

4. Freyqq macrumors 68040

The cable also has to support 1Gbit transfers. Most do, but could be the issue. Needs to be CAT5e or CAT6.

5. PinoyAko macrumors 6502

How about over the air copy? I have good experiences with OTA. I am using Airport Extreme.

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

often slower than even 100 mbps ethernet after you factor in overhead, etc...yes even wireless N 450mbps

100mbps ethernet gets realistic speeds of about 11.5 MB\s. Come to think of it..100 GB should take about 2.4 hrs at that speed.