Copying 2tb of files from NAS to NAS?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by mcdj, Apr 23, 2011.

1. mcdj macrumors G3

mcdj

Any networking gurus here?

I have 2 NAS boxes, one Western Digital MyBook World with 2tb of files on it. The other is a Synology Diskstation, which is replacing the WD. I want to copy the 2tb of files from the WD to the Synology.

Both units have only a single ethernet port. Both units have a single USB port, but connecting them together via USB doesn't work. They don't see each other via USB. The USB ports are strictly for attaching USB disks, not connecting to other NAS boxes.

I manage files on the NASes with my Macbook Pro, wirelessly. Both NASes are connected to an Airport Extreme with gigabit ethernet.

I can drag and drop files from one box to the other via the finder. I can also use the Synology web based file manager to copy from the WD to the Synology. I can even connect via FTP to both boxes and transfer that way.

The problem is, the transfers via any of those methods are deadly slow. I'm getting 5-10mb/s tops. All those methods are reporting it would take several days to transfer 2tb. I suspect this is because any transfer is being routed thru my Macbook, and the wireless connection is the bottleneck.

RSYNC, SCP, and terminal commands are generally over my head (and apparently the Synology doesn't support SCP easily). But I'd love to find a way to just get these 2 NASes to talk directly to each other and cut out the middle man, my MacBook.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

2. mcdj thread starter macrumors G3

mcdj

Well due to the overwhelming response to my question, I came up with my own (probably obvious) solution. I hard wired my MacBook to the boxes via ethernet. The transfers were done overnight.